Options

Chelsea Supporters Thread (Part 5)

Comments

• Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slightly worried about Costa starting tonight, The league has to be the number one priority. Can we really afford to take a chance of not having him Sunday? Or him coming off after 20 minutes etc?
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_don1 wrote: »
    Slightly worried about Costa starting tonight, The league has to be the number one priority. Can we really afford to take a chance of not having him Sunday? Or him coming off after 20 minutes etc?

Its a tricky one.

A) Play him from the start, get our goal and then bring him off

B) Play Remy, when its 0-0 at 70 minutes bring costa on

Which is the correct way?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    Its a tricky one.

A) Play him from the start, get our goal and then bring him off

B) Play Remy, when its 0-0 at 70 minutes bring costa on

Which is the correct way?

IF the concerns regarding his fitness is as Jose reported then I would not play him at all.

We have to plans B,C and D when it comes to games. Players like Hazzard have to step up at times like this.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your assuming they dont score?.......Big crowd behind them, hope your right.
    Our fault for taking the first game too lightly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dare i say it, but if i were managing, i would play remy and protect costa as much as i could.

We have a great chance of taking the PL title this year. Arsenal, United, Liverpool are all floundering, it is worth sacrificing the CL for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dare i say it, but if i were managing, i would play remy and protect costa as much as i could.

We have a great chance of taking the PL title this year. Arsenal, United, Liverpool are all floundering, it is worth sacrificing the CL for.

I dont think we need to sacrifce the CL or at least we should not need to. The players we have are more then able (or should be) to fight on the two fronts.

Really we only need to drop one player at the moment for these group games as I dont think the Costa issue is along term problem.

If we are a one man team then we might as well pack up and give up now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If we are a one man team then we might as well pack up and give up now

Thats a good question - are chelsea a one man team?

It feels like it, as we have been without an excellent striker for 10 years.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Mourinho's true life ambition was to win the CL with Chelsea and bcome the first manager to do so with 3 different clubs?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    I thought Mourinho's true life ambition was to win the CL with Chelsea and bcome the first manager to do so with 3 different clubs?

I am sure he has many ambition's in life but I would hope he as something more personal as a "true life" one.

Why has it got to be this year?

The plan at the moment is for him to be at Chelsea for a few years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats a good question - are chelsea a one man team?

It feels like it, as we have been without an excellent striker for 10 years.

I dont think we are as I think our other attacking options are very good but those options do need to take more on to themslefs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont think we are as I think our other attacking options are very good but those options do need to take more on to themslefs.

We are currently a team that is set up to play to costas strengths. A big presence who can fight, hold the ball up and more often than not hits the target.

When remy comes in, he is a different type of player - and our team suffers because of it. This is why jose prefers drogba.

The players simply have to learn to adapt when remy is up top, and players have to weight in with 10 each this season.

Hazard, Oscar, Willian, Schurrle need to get to that target at least, even cesc and the CB pairing from corners too.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure he has many ambition's in life but I would hope he as something more personal as a "true life" one.

Why has it got to be this year?

The plan at the moment is for him to be at Chelsea for a few years.

I think it's as good a time as any. The usual suspects all appear to have some problems, so he might as well take advantage of that.

The quality of the PL has been quite poor so far, so Chelsea should be able to do well on both fronts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    I think it's as good a time as any. The usual suspects all appear to have some problems, so he might as well take advantage of that.

The quality of the PL has been quite poor so far, so Chelsea should be able to do well on both fronts.

True but we also have our issues to deal wih.

We have made the mistake of putting to much stock in winning the Champions League in the past and it has cost us dearly.

I would rather we put everything into running away with the league then being distracted with a cup and once the team is ready (Oscar/Hazzard etc) then really launch a campaign to dominate Europe as well as the Leaguem, At the moment I think we are really only do one and for me the league will always always come first
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it? Always seems to me a pretty easy place, Jubilee line one of the best lines and Marylebone and a quick train journey which is a way I normally go has always meant we have rarely left the pub 40 minutes before kick off and arrived in plenty of time.

Getting away is a issue bit that's normal with any ground

I guess it really depends where you live. Wembley is poor but Twickenham great for me.
    Rail links for Twickenham are only really served by British Rail. Long walk to an underground. Parking is ver limited.
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Courtois; Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry (c), Filipe Luis; Matic, Fabregas; Schurrle, Oscar, Hazard; Diego Costa

Cech, Azpilicueta, Zouma, Mikel, Salah, Willian, Remy
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jokanovic wrote: »
    I guess it really depends where you live. Wembley is poor but Twickenham great for me.
    Rail links for Twickenham are only really served by British Rail. Long walk to an underground. Parking is ver limited.

Yes, Twickenham is a fair walk from Richmond (end of the District line) on a miserable, winter's day. Evening games would be a bit of a nightmare as well, rugby supporters usually have their coaches or take special buses. But I hope it happens, it would be great for me to have Chelsea as a real "local team". :)

Tonight's game, I thought Costa was close to being back to full fitness ? If so, I don't see any problem playing him. But we have to get used to playing with Remy, so I would give both a run-out tonight, probably starting with Diego.
    We should be capable of going for the PL and the CL. If we're not it's because we didn't go in for another striker and brought back Drogba. If I was Abramovich, I wouldn't be impressed with anyone telling me that we will have to sacrifice one or the other..not after all the money he's put into the club.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should have been all over in 20 minutes. Still, we're playing well enough, Matic and Fabregas looking good, plenty of movement up front. Pity Schurrle didn't take his chances, but he doesn't let it get him down, he's always prepared to take the game to the opposition.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So scrappy now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Schalke only drawing...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Made life difficult for ourselves after coasting the first half, but we've got the 3 points. Their keeper was outstanding, and they came out really up for it in the second half, right in our faces from the start. Tough game in the end, I hope we've avoided any injuries.
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Made a bit of a dogs dinner of that tonight. Should of been very comfortable instead of hanging on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Top of the group, clean sheet, no easy games in Europe etc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now lets practise "Dinking" the GK, Totti (38) shows how!
  • Options
    carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,047
    Forum Member
    Only saw the highlights. Good away win but it looked like we should have won by a much bigger margin but didn't due to a combination of poor finishing and good goalkeeping. Thankfully Matic's goal was enough. Nice to see us keeping another clean sheet. And with Schalke slipping up too it leaves us well placed at the top of the group.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only saw the highlights. Good away win but it looked like we should have won by a much bigger margin but didn't due to a combination of poor finishing and good goalkeeping. Thankfully Matic's goal was enough. Nice to see us keeping another clean sheet. And with Schalke slipping up too it leaves us well placed at the top of the group.

Yes, we played really well in the first half, but just didn't convert our chances. Schurrle missed an absolute gift. I've rarely see so many one-on-one's with the keeper missed, but he (the keeper) did have a great game.
    I wish Jose could could persuade Hazard to take a leaf out of Schurrle's book and try for goal a bit more often (not hoofing it over the bar in the same way of course :)) As good as Costa is, we are beginning to rely on him too much.