Tips for a FIFA Ultimate Team Newbie?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi, I bought FIFA 15 on release day. I've always liked FIFA but never played it properly however I would like to try to get to know this one if you know what I mean? I started ultimate team yesterday and I'm addicted. Obviously my team isn't that good so I was wondering if you have any tips for a newbie?

Tips for building a team would be great!

Also is it worth buying gold packs? Can you get the best players in them? I mean the likes of Messi and Ronaldo?

Thanks for all posts

Comments

• clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not exactly an expert so I can't really give you any top tips on gaining coins because even I struggle to gain coins despite playing FUT for almost 3 years!

One thing I will say though is there's not much point in buying packs with your coins if you want to make a profit, you very rarely make a profit from it, in fact most of the time you will lose up to half.

I've never got Messi or Ronaldo in a pack, highest quality player I have ever got in a pack was Mascherano (85)!

If you are playing online (also if you have a gold team) you'll be better off playing seasons rather than cups, every season (10 games) you get bonuses based on where you finish, you only get bonuses from cups if you win them (and even then its 2,000 coins, the same amount as winning the title in the lowest division on seasons)

Other than that, I don't really know what to say, if you have any specific questions though I'll be happy to help :)
  • fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not an expert either. And I don't know about any tricks in this years FIFA, but in EA style UT games in general. Buying the cheaper packs and flogging their contents, for a small profit, and occasional big profit (a sought after Bronze rare or such), seems to be good start. As does picking a specific player/ team/ nationality/ position combo something, and getting to know all the players, so you can spot when someone undervalues a card.
    Also, hunt around the 1hr mark for buy it now bargains, as people put players up for completely the wrong price. The last time I played FIFA (12) I would low bid on all silver rares, I'd lose most of the auctions but, then I'd just put the ones I'd won back on the market and repeat. When you start getting bankroll of cash, you can start doing it with gold.

When you get a load of cash, and you have a very good idea what cards are worth, you can move into buying and selling of specific rares, which is where the big money is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Set up a squad with a starting eleven to use online and subs and reserves to use offline, when the online players start to lack fitness switch to the other eleven and start playing easy singleplayer seasons, then switch back when the offline players lose fitness

You'll earn more coins this way because some of the offline seasons are basically impossible to lose even with an all bronze team and you'll always have near full fitness online

Playing like this will save on fitness and Injury cards because you'll be regularly switching them out anyway so you'll have no need to use them and can sell them for profit

That's what I'm doing anyway
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the posts.
  • Hendo9Hendo9 Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno if your still interested but:

Create 2 Squads.
    Squad 1 - Your first choice side starting, with the bench and reserves made up from all the players in Squad 2.
    Squad 2 - Made up from the subs/reserves you chose for Squad 1.

When the fitness drops for the players in Squad 1 (it drops quick this year!) swap to Squad 2, as the Squad 1s are still in there, they'll replenish their fitness over the next couple of games with Squad 2, then swap back to Squad 1 and the same happens etc.

Yes you can get anybody in the Gold Packs, although they're obviously just 'luck of the draw' things, and make them a ton of money as so many people plough their money into packs... Ive only ever got a Messi in one pack, back in FIFA 12 I think it was, since then I've had some good players in packs, but not many (then again I dont buy many).

I always start by opening a few packs, hopefully getting lucky and earning a fair few coins to begin with. I got Jerome Boateng in one of my loyalty packs this year, who I sold on for 65k.

I spent 15k of that on a basic squad for me to use.
    The other 40k-ish I use to trade with... buy low, sell high. Target a player, in your budget, work out how much his lowest 'buy now' is, then look at the 'bid' players and try and buy any who is a few hundred below the lowest buy now.. if you win, instantly relist as the cheapest one and make profit... bear in mind EA take 5% 'tax'... might only be a few hundred here and there, but if you have the time it soon adds up.

Theres also the 59 minute thing, but I've never had the patience to scroll along that far, what you do is set the price limits to your budget, scroll all the way along to the 59 minute mark (which is where the new "hour" listings appear all the time) and sometimes players will be listed for really low prices, but they go almost instantly... you might get lucky, but it takes AGES to scroll along there, and theres no guarantee you'll get anything good.

Sometimes you find bargains in amongst player searches (so far this year I've bought Joe Hart for 800 coins, Edin Dzeko for 400).

Also, try to utilise Team of the Week... Every Wednesday EA announce a new Team of the Week, a selection of real life "in form" players from the past weekends games (Across the world)... they release 'limited edition' cards into that pack, for the entire week, before a new Team of the Week comes out.
    If you think somebody will be given an "in form" card the next week, see if you can pick up a couple of their current card cheaply as the price tends to rise when the players in form. Ive done it on a really 'low' level (Perin, an Italian keeper was in form last week, I bought 20 of them for 300 coins each... sold all of them on for between 800-1100.. also bought a few 'Ricardo Rodriguez' for 4-5k and sold them on for 20k-24k).

Thats risky though as theres no guarantee the player you target WILL get an inform, you just have to combine your judgement, and look at some stats across the weekends games, and even Futhead.com who used to do a TOTW prediction (dont know if they still do).

Play a lot of seasons games, online and offline (offline if your players fitness is completely gone, perfect time to play a poorer second 11 to replenish your first 11's fitness)

Challenge Team of the Week, on your select difficulty for a few coins each week.
    Complete your Manager Tasks (18 things to do) which gives you a free Gold pack
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive read all that and still don't follow it. Ive started a career instead, which isnt UT. Ive never done this before so might find out its crap. Ive only played 2 games and apparently I'm out injured for 3 weeks though...ho hum.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I'm enjoying FUT this year for the first time.

Cheers for the tips guys.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    A releated question, but what are the fundamental differences between UT and Manager Career mode? I know the latter is simialr to PES Master League, but wondered what the fuss is with UT?
    Forum Member
    pazza_73 wrote: »
    A releated question, but what are the fundamental differences between UT and Manager Career mode? I know the latter is simialr to PES Master League, but wondered what the fuss is with UT?

The biggest difference is the transfers. FUT uses a live market.

So you could buy Messi from me, instead of from the AI.

Also chemistry plays a big part. That is making your team from players who are from the same country, play in the same league or play for the same club. The more links your players have, the better they play together.

And you can play this mode online or offline (obviously the transfers use online but the games don't have to)

There's plenty more to it. It's good fun.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    Yuffie wrote: »
    The biggest difference is the transfers. FUT uses a live market.

So you could buy Messi from me, instead of from the AI.

Also chemistry plays a big part. That is making your team from players who are from the same country, play in the same league or play for the same club. The more links your players have, the better they play together.

And you can play this mode online or offline (obviously the transfers use online but the games don't have to)

There's plenty more to it. It's good fun.

OK thanks. Do you have to play either offline or online, or switch as you want within a game?
    Forum Member
    pazza_73 wrote: »
    OK thanks. Do you have to play either offline or online, or switch as you want within a game?

You switch as and when you want. In some of the tips up above, some of the guys recommend switching between online and offline games as some of your players recover fitness.