Widow of July 7th bomber in legal aid claim that could delay inquest

13»

Comments

• NatgarNatgar Posts: 2,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a victim of 7/7 and she is not a victim - she might have lost a loved one but he chose to take his life. July the 7th changed my life - it is something I will never get over and damaged the person I was. I was on the carriage that the bomb went off in and I still have nightmares and have PTS. I had to change the channel when I saw the news on her- it was really upsetting. Its not like the compensation we got was big considering how damaged some were and never mind the mental issues. It would upset me if the bomber's family got anything because of his actions.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this woman didn't know what her husband was planning - and I think it's quite possible she didn't - then I have a lot of sympathy for her. That doesn't mean I think she should have won her case; it seems an inquest is to be held seperately into her husband's death, and there seems no compelling reason why his inquest should have been held as part of that into his victims' deaths. Certainly, I can't see how she would be due compensation; if she is a victim, she's a victim of her husband, so any compensation would be due from his estate, which she probably inherited anyway.

However, people behave strangely and irrationally at times when grieving, even many years after the event, and this is by no means the worst manifestation of selfish grief I know of. The level of hatred directed at her by some seems slightly indecent, and some comments are clearly just racist.