Potentially great movies still to come this year

jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
Forum Member
Note the word potentially! The Dark Knight Rises and Brave could be the best movies this summer. Later in the year there is: The Hobbit, Django Unchained, Les Miserables, Flight and Great Gatsby. Some other movies to look out for this year:

Gangster Squad
From the director of the fun Zombieland, a crime film about the mafia set in 1940's LA. Good cast (Brolin, Penn, Nolte, Gosling).

Seven Psychopaths
Black comedy reuniting writer/director of In Bruges (Martin McDonagh) with its star Colin Farrell, who plays a struggling writer with some unhinged friends. Also stars Christopher Walken and Woody Harrelson.

Frankenweenie
A Burton movie without Depp or Carter! There was a time a new Burton film was much anticipated. Even though this is a remake of his own work, you can never go wrong with a bit of stop-motion from him.

The Tall Man
Laugier's first movie since the nasty Martyrs. Story involves an mythical enitity that abducts children. Sounds quite interesting and like Martyrs a love it or hate it type film.

The Master
From the director of Magnolia and There Will Be Blood. Drama starring the ever dependable Phillip Seymour Hoffman as guy starting a scientology type religion after WW2.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Lincoln, starring the great Daniel Day-Lewis is scheduled for a December release.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Bourne Legacy looks really good but seems to have fallen under the radar for a lot of people.

Looper will surprise a lot of people I think. Joseph Gordon Levitt plays a younger version of Bruce Willis in a mind bending sci-fi thriller.

Argo the new film from Ben Affleck also looks really good.

But can't see anything beating The Dark Knight Rises for me.
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    I cant wait for the new Bond film Skyfall.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Les Miserables
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    The Master
    Beasts of the Southern Wild

& two from Cannes:

Holy Motors
    Amour (2nd Palme D'or winner for M. Haneke.)
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SkyFall and Les Miserables are the only two that really interest me this year. And I can't wait for either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Hobbit
    The Dark Knight Rises
    Skyfall
    Brave
  • Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    House at the End of the Street
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower
    The Paperboy
    This Is 40
    Premium Rush
    Lovelace
  • DensinoDensino Posts: 3,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Silent Hill Revelation

The firstt one is a classic
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    Typically I tend to watch the blockbusters/spectacles on the big screen as that's the way they are generally intended to watch. I'm quite happy to watch the drama's and thrillers etc on dvd at home.

On that basis, I'd say:

The Hobbit
    The Dark Knight Rises
    Skyfall
    The Bourne Legacy
    Amazing Spiderman

I'd also say Les miserables and Django Unchained, but pretty sure they're released in January.
  • _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm looking forward most too The Hobbit, The Dark Knight Rises, Les Miserables and The Great Gatsby :)
  • MotherTeresaMotherTeresa Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Killing Them Softly.

I've been impatient to see Andrew Dominik's next work ever since The Assassination of Jesse James, and all the reviews from Cannes suggest my anticipation will be rewarded.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Densino wrote: »
    Silent Hill Revelation

The firstt one is a classic

It was good for a videogame movie (and infinitely better than any of the Resident Evil abominations), but a "classic"? Not even close.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Quartet

Comedy drama about a group of ex-Opera singers living in a nursing home who have to get over their old diva tendencies to put on a final concert.

Directed by Dustin Hoffman and starring Maggie Smith, Michael Gambon, Tom Courtenay, Pauline Collins and Billy Connolly.

:D:D:D
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    House at the End of the Street
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower
    The Paperboy
    This Is 40
    Premium Rush
    Lovelace

Definitely looking forward to The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Also looking forward to Skyfall, The Great Gatsby and potentially Les Miserables although no idea if I'd actually like it or not - I found the book tedious.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Here are some films that I'm looking forward to watching that have not been mentioned yet:

Expendables 2
    Ted
    Watch (formally Neighbourhood Watch)
    The Sweeney
    Total Recall