Murray Loses Wimbledon - Sky News Banner

Comments

• Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Andy Murray, but I often feel sorry for the bloke that has to play him, because even if his opponent is superior & has a better record, it's as if he is not even there, as evidenced by Roger Federer last Sunday.

I agree, to treat a seven times Wimbledon champion, and a tennis player who has re-taken the number one spot in doing so, in such a casual and un-recognising way of his achievements, especially by former tennis professionals, is really dis-appointing.
    I've been trying to think who it would be worth comparing Andy Murray to as a tennis player from 20 or 30 years ago, regardless of nationality. Yes, he's good. He's done well to make the final. But please appreciate the true champion.
  • Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I think Roger was also being extremely polite when he said Murray will win a grand slam, and later he said a few of them. I saw this more as Murray's high water mark, and rather than building on it and going on to win majors, he will now struggle from this point forward.
    He's lost his first 4 majors like Lendl, his new trainer. But that is where the comparison ends I'm afraid. Murray is not going to be world number one, unless Federer, Nadal and Djokovic retire next week, and he is not going to end up with 8 grand slam majors after this like Lendl, who got 2 Australian, and 3 each of the French and US Opens, as well as runner up twice at Wimbledon.
    Murray will be fortunate to make another Wimbledon Final now.

Good Prediction there :D
  • SarnSarn Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    I think Roger was also being extremely polite when he said Murray will win a grand slam, and later he said a few of them. I saw this more as Murray's high water mark, and rather than building on it and going on to win majors, he will now struggle from this point forward.
    He's lost his first 4 majors like Lendl, his new trainer. But that is where the comparison ends I'm afraid. Murray is not going to be world number one, unless Federer, Nadal and Djokovic retire next week, and he is not going to end up with 8 grand slam majors after this like Lendl, who got 2 Australian, and 3 each of the French and US Opens, as well as runner up twice at Wimbledon.
    Wow!!!

You sure know what you're talking about don't ya? ROFLMAO
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
    Forum Member
    I've read a number of old posts like that around online from years prior in the last few days now. There must be millions of them and a fair few on DS. Good stuff :D
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jules 1 wrote: »

this one is better...;)
    Vol wrote: »
    The unfortunate reality is that to win a GS he will have to beat either Fed, Nadal or Djokovic in the final, which he doesn't seem to be capable of.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've read a number of old posts like that around online from years prior in the last few days now. There must be millions of them and a fair few on DS. Good stuff :D

there was some fun thread bumping after the US Open last year it has to be said. :D
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jules 1 wrote: »

It's a bit unfair to make fun of people who have made a prediction in good faith, which turns out not to be right.

Predictions are 50/50 by their very nature; you're either going to be right or wrong.

To be fair, a few years ago, it did look like Andy Murray might never win a Grand Slam, but happily he has stuck at it & prevailed & good on him.

I 'predict' that he has another couple of Grand-Slams in him too.

I'm not sure about the French Open, as Rafael Nadal owns clay court tennis, but I can see him winning the US Open, or the Australian Open, or maybe Wimbledon again.
  • Greebo.Greebo. Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a bit unfair to make fun of people who have made a prediction in good faith, which turns out not to be right.

Predictions are 50/50 by their very nature; you're either going to be right or wrong.

To be fair, a few years ago, it did look like Andy Murray might never win a Grand Slam, but happily he has stuck at it & prevailed & good on him.

I 'predict' that he has another couple of Grand-Slams in him too.

I'm not sure about the French Open, as Rafael Nadal owns clay court tennis, but I can see him winning the US Open, or the Australian Open, or maybe Wimbledon again.

To be fair a lot of people have been saying for years that Murray would win a slam one day too - even after a lot of his tough losses, so it must be satisfying for them to see people who've been making such certain predictions that he'l never win one be proved wrong for the second time now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greebo. wrote: »
    To be fair a lot of people have been saying for years that Murray would win a slam one day too - even after a lot of his tough losses, so it must be satisfying for them to see people who've been making such certain predictions that he'l never win one be proved wrong for the second time now.

I also think it's wrong to assume predictions were all made in "good faith". A lot of this stuff was made through malicious intent and ill will towards Murray not based on his talent and ability but based on their own ignorance.

Someone on this forum once made a post where they suggested that it was shame Thomas Hamilton didn't have an extra bullet and a couple of people actually responded with a :D:D as though the possible murder of an 8 year old child was a point of hilarity. Of course said posts were eventually removed by the mods, but they remain among the most disgusting things I have seen posted on this forum.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    A great duff prediction although still not up there with the zero golds whinge in the Olympics forum!! :D
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1706037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    A great duff prediction although still not up there with the zero golds whinge in the Olympics forum!! :D

Best thread ever ;)
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 54,013
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »

That was called jumping the gun somewhat! - mind you from what I remember the papers were doing that too...
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    After the US I remember some poster on a thread on this site, said it was a once off and Murray would do well to make another slam final :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I also think it's wrong to assume predictions were all made in "good faith". A lot of this stuff was made through malicious intent and ill will towards Murray not based on his talent and ability but based on their own ignorance.

Someone on this forum once made a post where they suggested that it was shame Thomas Hamilton didn't have an extra bullet and a couple of people actually responded with a :D:D as though the possible murder of an 8 year old child was a point of hilarity. Of course said posts were eventually removed by the mods, but they remain among the most disgusting things I have seen posted on this forum.

There is already a post on another thread re knighthoods about Andy Murray being in a drunken fight last night which was actually a link to a story about how an overzealous fan caught Murray in the eye with a tennis book as he was leaving a restaurant.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Murray, regardless of whether or not he adds to his grand slam tally has had a great career.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Greebo. wrote: »

It's those who said the Murray would never win a grand slam tilte who are the ones that have been proven wrong. Not those who aren't predicting that he'll win a hatful.
  • DavserDavser Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You were saying?!
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agree. Andy himself said he had got to the point (before the US Open) where he was thinking he might never win one and trying to prepare himself for that.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A month later I've just stumbled on some of the gloating of my incorrect predictions about Andy Murray from summer 2012. I'm very pleased, and genuinely very surprised to have been proven wrong, but at least I wasn't sitting on the fence, or more appropriately straddling the net! How about some of the gloaters here give a prediction of his next year up to Wimbledon 2014 then? Many people held the view I stated after his 2012 final defeat, including Martina Navratilova & Michael Stich who stated the same view on TV and radio at that time, as well as one or two commentators on radio. I am surprised by the lack of potency from the other 3 top players, Federer, Nadal & Djokovic at the moment that has seen Murray come through. It did not look likely in July 2012. I did however predict Murray to win Wimbledon on the Talksport thread after his quarter final! ;)

His form has dipped a lot since winning Wimbledon already. He lost to Tomas Berdych in straight sets in Cincinnatii yesterday. How does this bode for his defence of the US Open gloaters? Let's see your predictions laid bare and open to future scrutiny!
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A month later I've just stumbled on some of the gloating of my incorrect predictions about Andy Murray from summer 2012. I'm very pleased, and genuinely very surprised to have been proven wrong, but at least I wasn't sitting on the fence, or more appropriately straddling the net! How about some of the gloaters here give a prediction of his next year up to Wimbledon 2014 then? Many people held the view I stated after his 2012 final defeat, including Martina Navratilova & Michael Stich who stated the same view on TV and radio at that time, as well as one or two commentators on radio. I am surprised by the lack of potency from the other 3 top players, Federer, Nadal & Djokovic at the moment that has seen Murray come through. It did not look likely in July 2012. I did however predict Murray to win Wimbledon on the Talksport thread after his quarter final! ;)

His form has dipped a lot since winning Wimbledon already. He lost to Tomas Berdych in straight sets in Cincinnatii yesterday. How does this bode for his defence of the US Open gloaters? Let's see your predictions laid bare and open to future scrutiny!
    I wouldn't say that at all. His form is always shaky, inconsistent outside of the slams.

Last year he lost to Jeremy Chardy in Cincinnati. He then went on to win the US Open.

Losing to Berdych in Cincinnati (whom he beat at Flushing Meadows last year) is of little relevance when discussing his US Open chances, imo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't say that at all. His form is always shaky, inconsistent outside of the slams.

Last year he lost to Jeremy Chardy in Cincinnati. He then went on to win the US Open.

Losing to Berdych in Cincinnati (whom he beat at Flushing Meadows last year) is of little relevance when discussing his US Open chances, imo.

Let's not forget these Masters events are only the best of 3. If this was the US Open I would strongly fancy Murray to recover from 2 sets down and win against both Gulbis and Berdych.

He was 2 sets down at Wimbledon v Vadesco and still won. He has been no more shaky now at Montreal and Cincinatti than he was at Wimbledon before the final. The difference is that it was best of 5 at Wimbledon which gave Murray the chance to recover. The best of 5's of the grand slams are the true test after all.

There is every likelihood that Murray will trail 0-2 or 1-2 in sets, or get hauled back from 2-0 or 2-1 in sets to 2-2 two or three times before the final in the upcoming US Open. The only important thing that really matters at Flushing Meadows is who's the first to 3 sets, and of late in the grand slams it's usually been Murray.
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member

Agree completely! Light years difference between a slam and masters. And even still, Berdych is number 5 in the world, hardly an awful result!

Djokovic and Murray getting knocked out yesterday doesn't make a jot of differnece to their US chances. What good did Fef winning Cinci do him last year?
    david16 wrote: »
    Let's not forget these Masters events are only the best of 3. If this was the US Open I would strongly fancy Murray to recover from 2 sets down and win against both Gulbis and Berdych.

He was 2 sets down at Wimbledon v Vadesco and still won. He has been no more shaky now at Montreal and Cincinatti than he was at Wimbledon before the final. The difference is that it was beat of 5 at Wimbledon which gave Murray the chance to recover. The best of 5's of the grand slams are the true test after all.

There is every likelihood that Murray will trail 0-2 or 1-2 in sets, or get hauled back from 2-0 or 2-1 in sets to 2-2 two or three times before the final in the upcoming US Open. The only important thing that really matters at Flushing Meadows is who's the first to 3 sets, and of late in the grand slams it's usually been Murray.

Agree, he went 2 down v Haase here a few years ago. Should have v Cilic last year. A good few of Nadal and Djok's slam wins and deep runs have involved tricky 4/5 setters. They're part and parcel of slams. The difference between best of 3 and 5 is huge

Not only that but you can't really judge someone's form on two masters events. The preparation that goes into a slam match is completely different. Murray'll be far more motivated in a slam anyway
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think Murray will end up with 8 grand slam titles.

But he can add another couple.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 54,013
    Forum Member
    I remember when Murray won a few Masters events but not the Grand Slams people were saying "he doesn't win the big events"

Can he really win either way.

The guy will lose games like everyone else.

Don't forget Murray had an injury - maybe its caught up a bit with him.
  • tennismantennisman Posts: 4,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Broadcasters often communicate through their nationality prism.

Not saying it's right but that's how it's done - 'how many Britons killed in disaster X' - not here is a list by nationality of the dead.

Got into a semi-heated debate once in the 90's with a well known ex South African tennis legend by now working for a US tennis network who complained that having 2 Spanish players in the final of the French Tennis Open was bad for the game.

What it transpired he meant was that because there were no Americans involved, it would be bad for US viewer ratings!

Though true, this is a different point and begs different questions / answers.