Weight Loss Thread - 2013 Edition

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't help I am afraid I very much distust the atkins approach, my husband lost an incredible amount of weight on it only to put it straight back on plus some when he started to eat more normally. Has had IBS and various other digestive problems since too.
  • ladydedlock77ladydedlock77 Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    I can't help I am afraid I very much distust the atkins approach, my husband lost an incredible amount of weight on it only to put it straight back on plus some when he started to eat more normally. Has had IBS and various other digestive problems since too.

Thank you molliepops. IBS is the reason I am doing this diet. I find wheat and potatoes cause me terrible stomach pains. I am puzzled because I have done low carb many times and never noticed these symptoms before.
  • EastEnders-1105EastEnders-1105 Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ive always wondered this
    How come you sometimes see really skinny people eat like a pig and not put on weight and then the opposite for bigger people?

Im 8st8 and 5ft1 and 17 and i eat loads of junk and dont exercise
    does anyone know why this is?
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ive always wondered this
    How come you sometimes see really skinny people eat like a pig and not put on weight and then the opposite for bigger people?

Im 8st8 and 5ft1 and 17 and i eat loads of junk and dont exercise
    does anyone know why this is?

The key is in the '17' part. ;):D I was like, as my father used to put it, a pull through for a rifle until I was in my late 20s. Underweight, medically. But once you hit the old 30 it becomes less easy to maintain. Think about your health rather than your weight. The quality of the fuel affects the vital parts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh god i cant imaging being 30! seems ages away to me

you might know when your a teen all you worry about is apperance ect guess thats just what im getting at?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    Firstly at 17 you're still growing and it's much easier to keep weight lower. I ate more than I eat now and didn't really think about it when I was your age and I weighed (I'm rather horrified to say) 4 stone less than I do now. So don't presume your weight now will be the same when you hit 40. ;) Secondly, some people don't eat much but what they do eat is high in calories (the things people always say to cut out when diets are mentioned). And thirdly we're all made differently so sometimes there are instances where some people find it easier/harder to put on or lose weight for various reasons.

thank you
    was just wondering
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    There are some problems with BMI. The nurse at my medical centre advised me to be half-way in the BMI healthy range. But that would mean that I would be 72kgs, which in my opinion is too light. The various ideal weight formulae which are available seem to recommend a weight higher than the mid-point on the BMI scale. E.g. 77kg which is my actual target (and approximately my current weight).

It's often said that there is evidence that being slightly overweight is healthier than being slightly underweight. However, an article that I read recently pointed out that this doesn't actually mean that being overweight isn't bad for your health, just that the 'healthy' BMI range may actually be a bit lower than it should be. This may explain some of the odd results concerning being 'overweight'.

This is of course in addition to the problems of using BMI if someone has a significantly higher (or lower) proportion of muscle mass compared to average.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kpops wrote: »
    I was on the Cambridge diet for 4 weeks and lost 17lbs! I finished this 3 weeks ago and have lost another 9lb since due to healthy eating restricting carbs and light exercise! Water water water!

Well done Kpops.

healthy eating restricting carbs and light exercise! Water water water!

It's the only way to go.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... but I'm just cutting back on the amount of unhealthy stuff I eat. For example, last friday I went to Mcdonalds with a friend, but rather than having a large meal with a milkshake, then an extra burger as well, I had a happy meal with a diet coke. If i'd had denied myself the Mcdonalds, I would have spent the following few days in a bad mood !

I am sorry to have to say it.....But, if you are really SERIOUS about losing weight then you need to lose the fizzy drinks. Diet coke contains Aspartame and other nasties too.
    If you have to eat Muc Donalds then (leave the bun) It is the worst part for you.

Good luck and remember it is not a diet. It's a new lifestyle choice. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,333
    Forum Member
    I have a time sensitive goal as a performer of wanting to look better for a show in July (costumes.. pics... always a confidence shaker!). I'm a "normal" size, a 14, but according to NHS etc 1 stone overweight. (Don't want to publish numbers!), and more than being fixated on numbers as I'm often told is unhealthy I'm going to work by photos and how I feel in myself.

I am beginning with a goal to losing quite quickly to start with a daily cup a soup and one piece of fruit and lots of water. I KNOW this is way too little but as I lose a bit I'll build in salads/fruit/yoghurt.

I will also be working out at home a couple of times a week to a DVD I lost quite a bit with alongside a fish/salad/fruit diet a few years back.

Day 1 - will let you know how I get on! :)
    Forum Member
    Had a weigh in today, I have lost 28.6 lbs since Jan.

Brilliant well done :) x
    Forum Member
    MEW TOWN wrote: »
    I am sorry to have to say it.....But, if you are really SERIOUS about losing weight then you need to lose the fizzy drinks. Diet coke contains Aspartame and other nasties too.
    If you have to eat Muc Donalds then (leave the bun) It is the worst part for you.

I don't think it's right to say that someone serious about dieting should choose one food over another, or that there is one correct way of doing things. There are many ways to adjust calorie intake and calorie expenditure through diet and exercise.

There is some early evidence that artificial sweeteners may cause people who don't track/limit their calorie intake to overindulge in sweet food, and end up consuming more calories in total. See: http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20040630/artificial-sweeteners-damage-diet-efforts However, more recent research is casting doubt on this claim. http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/97/3/604.short Note that in this later research, a group of people consuming diet beverages actually consumed fewer calories than those assigned water to drink, particularly in that they consumed fewer desserts. But, this research is still ongoing and more evidence may arise.

I drink more artificially sweetened drink now that I'm dieting than I did before. And I'm careful to keep track of my calories and keep them within my limit. And I've successfully lost weight and am very near my target weight. So, I think I'm proof that someone can be serious about and successful at dieting while still consuming artificially sweetened fizzy pop.

There is no 'one true diet' in my eyes. Different things work for different people. There are many ways to create a calorie deficit.

Edit: Welcome to all newcomers, and congratulations to all those who have lost weight.
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emzie21 wrote: »
    I have a time sensitive goal as a performer of wanting to look better for a show in July (costumes.. pics... always a confidence shaker!). I'm a "normal" size, a 14, but according to NHS etc 1 stone overweight. (Don't want to publish numbers!), and more than being fixated on numbers as I'm often told is unhealthy I'm going to work by photos and how I feel in myself.

I am beginning with a goal to losing quite quickly to start with a daily cup a soup and one piece of fruit and lots of water. I KNOW this is way too little but as I lose a bit I'll build in salads/fruit/yoghurt.

I will also be working out at home a couple of times a week to a DVD I lost quite a bit with alongside a fish/salad/fruit diet a few years back.

Day 1 - will let you know how I get on! :)

Emzie, you'll keel over on one cup of soup and a piece of fruit for the entire day. Have porridge for breakfast with low fat milk. Then have your cup of soup and a piece of fruit and some wholegrain bread for lunch; then have fish or chicken with salad and/or veg (no carbs) for your tea. That's as tight as you should cut it to stay standing.

Also, if you cut this many calories out of your diet you MIGHT lose weight rapidly; but you'll gain it back twice as fast once you start eating properly again. July's a long time off; set yourself a realistic target of a pound or two a week. If you're already a size 14 and only want to lose a stone or so; you will be more than happy by July on a slow, steady and - most importantly - realistic - healthy eating plan. Also, allow yourself a treat every few days.
    Forum Member
    Emzie, you'll keel over on one cup of soup and a piece of fruit for the entire day. Have porridge for breakfast with low fat milk. Then have your cup of soup and a piece of fruit and some wholegrain bread for lunch; then have fish or chicken with salad and/or veg (no carbs) for your tea. That's as tight as you should cut it to stay standing.

Also, if you cut this many calories out of your diet you MIGHT lose weight rapidly; but you'll gain it back twice as fast once you start eating properly again. July's a long time off; set yourself a realistic target of a pound or two a week. If you're already a size 14 and only want to lose a stone or so; you will be more than happy by July on a slow, steady and - most importantly - realistic - healthy eating plan. Also, allow yourself a treat every few days.

Yeah I realise I totally forgot the proper meal/fruit and yoghurt I'll have before 8pm. Don't worry I'll be sensible :) thanks
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    WinterFire wrote: »
    Good luck Sez_babe. Though, please excuse me for being cheeking and saying 'why not start tomorrow' :)

Thank you :D

Had a good day today, I have to keep it up!
    Forum Member
    I made a parsley sauce today. I do admit that I halved the amount of margarine I would have used compared to pre-diet. However, it was only 100kcal per person according to my calculations. That sounds a lot, but the sauce turned steamed vegetables and baked Iceland spicy beanburgers into much more of a 'real meal', and given the low calories in the rest of it, added up to an overall relatively low calorie meal. I think I'm going to be using that strategy more often.
    Forum Member
    Please can you put up the full receipe you used for this? I'd love to try it.

I can, but it's a bit basic.

On a very low heat, I mixed one generous tablespoon of plain flour with one generous teaspoon (I estimated 5g) of 'pure' brand sunflower marg. (You can use butter, but I think there will be more calories). You want to get the flour and the fat to sort of merge, but particularly with the lower than normal fat (usually it's equal amounts fat and flour). Then I started adding small amounts from 300ml unsweetened soya milk (again, you can use real milk though I don't know what the calories in real milk would be). You sort of want the flour/fat paste to become slowly damp then moister and moister without any lumps remaining. After a fair time mixing I had all the 'milk' added without lumps. I then added one stock cube suitable for making 300ml stock, a few grinds of pepper, about a tablespoon of dried parsley (didn't have any fresh) and two crushed garlic gloves. Mix the whole lot together and then raised the heat to medium. I stirred frequently, and the mixture slowly came near the boil, whereupon it thickened. Reduce the heat a bit more and cook on for a few minutes. I then tasted it, and added a medium pinch of extra salt. This was done as the veggies were steaming and the beanburgers baking. The result wasn't the best sauce in the world, but I appreciated the change and the nice texture it had.

You mentioned some time ago that you don't like cooking that much. I will admit that while sauces aren't the hardest thing in the world to make, they aren't trivial, and you've got to be careful to not have any lumps and avoid the milk (or 'milk') burning on the bottom. But like soups, if you learn to make sauces you can make a wide variety of them by winging the recipe, and sauce over quite basic ingredients (today, a small potato, and more generous carrot and broccoli - all steamed - I put the broccoli in 10min from the end) makes a nice meal.

This sauce could be made lower calorie by omitting the margarine altogether. In that case, mix small amounts of milk bit by bit into the flour without any heat, until all the milk is added and the flour is properly worked in without any lumps. Then start heating up as in the previous recipe. But a small amount of marg. does make the sauce more creamy. And even post-dinner, I've still got 300kcal of my daily food allowance left!

This video from youtube has a woman in an amazing hat preparing a white sauce. She's using the same basic method I did, but she's using a lot more fat. I had to be much more careful (and used a lower heat) to prevent burning. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkp8PdDHQfA She's making a very differently flavoured sauce, but the basic technique is the same. Edit: Her method is very similar to mine, and my sauce had as good a 'hold the line on the spatula' texture as hers :)

PS: The above amounts were for two servings. I would find it difficult to make less than this as there would be too little roux (the flour/fat mix) and it would be too fiddly. Sauce can be stored in the fridge and microwaved back up, but it will probably turn a bit thicker when reheated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MEW TOWN wrote: »

Excuse me? I am serious about losing the weight, but as I have stated to you time and time again I am not cutting things out of my diet to do so.

If all you are going to say to me is that I should be cutting out every thing, then can you please refrain from replying to me? Your responses to me are neither sensible for me, nor helpful and is certainly not the support that I came into this thread to receive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WinterFire wrote: »

It's often said that there is evidence that being slightly overweight is healthier than being slightly underweight. However, an article that I read recently pointed out that this doesn't actually mean that being overweight isn't bad for your health, just that the 'healthy' BMI range may actually be a bit lower than it should be. This may explain some of the odd results concerning being 'overweight'.

I've just had a look at the recommended weight for a healthy BMI for me.... Safe to say, I will be aiming for the heavier part of the 'healthy' range! :)
    Forum Member
    Thanks WinterFire that's really helpful. I'm not into cooking but I'm sure that if I could just make one or two extra things (I pretty much only cook stir fried veg + rice/pasta or omlettes :o ) it will make food more interesting (and stop me sending out for pizza when I can't face the same food yet again, as well as making my lack of culinary skills less embarrassing :D ). You say it can be microwaved back the second day but I don't have a microwave - can it just be reheated on the hob?

Sauces are useful things to be able to make, as the most plain and simple ingredients can become much more interesting when a sauce is added.

I must admit I haven't tried reheating a sauce on the hob, at least not recently. But I'd expect that it would be possible to reheat them, perhaps adding a little extra milk and stirring it in if the sauce has gone too thick. This link: http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-best-way-to-reheat-c-112736 agrees with me. As the link says, it would be easy to burn the sauce when reheating (scalded milk generally doesn't taste nice), so you'd have to do so slowly.

Good luck with the sauce!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weighed in this morning 2lb loss.
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    Weighed in this morning 2lb loss.

Well done molliepops!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done striing, yes those hormone swings are great aren't they !
    Forum Member
    Well done Striing, that's 4lbs over two weeks.

I'm not sure what's happening to my weight. I had an unexpectedly fast sudden drop, followed by confusion over my weight after I realised how variable my doctor's surgery scales can be. I've got a single measurement from last Friday on the gym's scales, which is a different time of day-different scales weight. But this Friday I'll be able to go back and get a second reading which will give me two same time same scales weights to compare. My 'official' weight on those scales and at that time is 78.7 (approx) kg. Which is quite a bit higher than it was on the doctor's surgery scales. I've been good this week so far, so I'm hoping for another suitable sized loss.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a pretty sight but I alway use the same scale at home and weigh myself naked. It's the only way to get the exactly the same circumstances each time.