"Day of the Doctor" in 3D on Sky

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
Forum Member
I suggest those of us with Sky and hope to see the Doctor Who, 'Day of the Doctor' in 3D may care to read what's on this link
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/See-the-Doctor-in-a-New-Dimension-Our-3D-Viewing-Guide

There's a possibility that we Sky viewers may not get it. Lets hope the BBC & Sky sort this one out soon.

Comments

• 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,576
    Forum Member
    I'm not that bothered, I want to watch it first in 2d, and I have pre ordered the 3d blu ray which is out about a week later.
  • bayardsbayards Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep blu-ray ad will be in London at Excel for the 50th....
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    They won't be sorting anything out as BBC Red Button HD is stopping straight after Dr Who, so they won't bother adding it to any EPG now at this late stage.

When it finishes as BBC Red Button HD it will become BBC 3 HD and that will be added to the EPG on the 10th Dec.

You're boxes are more than capable of receiving it but it's Sky stopping you manually tuning it in that's the problem.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They won't be sorting anything out as BBC Red Button HD is stopping straight after Dr Who, so they won't bother adding it to any EPG now at this late stage.

They're saying it will be via red button, which won't be on the EPG.
  • jimbojimbo Posts: 16,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When it finishes as BBC Red Button HD it will become BBC 3 HD and that will be added to the EPG on the 10th Dec.

You're boxes are more than capable of receiving it but it's Sky stopping you manually tuning it in that's the problem.

Do you know for sure that it will change after Dr Who?

The Dr Who page of the BBC website says the 3D version will be available for BOTH broadcasts - so that includes the repeat on BBC3 at 1900 on Sunday 24 November.

For Sunday 24 November, Red Button HD shows F1 coverage - which just so happens to be the last day of the F1 season. The F1 Forum is at 1815, then for the rest of the week it says "This is BBC Red Button HD".

So can you provide evidence that after the Dr Who repeat on Sunday at 1900, this service will definately stop THEN and become BBC3/CBBC HD, or is it to happen the next morning?

Thanks.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Although not a huge 3D fan I must admit to wanting to watch the Dr Who episode in 3D as I think the BBC productions that I have seen have been quite classy.

Sadly they are not producing any more 3D programming.

I was hoping to record the 3D broadcast to watch, out of curiosity, after I'd seen the 2D version. If it's on the red button that can't happen. There is some chance perhaps if they are going to make it available on iplayer though.
  • jimbojimbo Posts: 16,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could watch in 2D on Saturday and 3D on Sunday, according to the web page it says the BBC3 repeat at 1900 on 24 November and the 3D version will be available for both broadcasts. It just does not appear that way on the schedule.
  • CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully it will be put on via the iplayer via Sky. Easiest fix isn't it?
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    jimbo wrote: »
    Do you know for sure that it will change after Dr Who?

The Dr Who page of the BBC website says the 3D version will be available for BOTH broadcasts - so that includes the repeat on BBC3 at 1900 on Sunday 24 November.

For Sunday 24 November, Red Button HD shows F1 coverage - which just so happens to be the last day of the F1 season. The F1 Forum is at 1815, then for the rest of the week it says "This is BBC Red Button HD".

So can you provide evidence that after the Dr Who repeat on Sunday at 1900, this service will definately stop THEN and become BBC3/CBBC HD, or is it to happen the next morning?

Thanks.

Ah a misunderstanding due to the bad wording in my post: By after Dr Who, that should be 'Sometime after' - Could be the second it finishes (ain't going to happen!) or days or weeks.

So all speculation I'm afraid.

With BBC 4 HD already up and testing, it seems that BBC 4 HD will be available before BBC 3 HD. BBC 3 HD will have to wait until they have finally finish with it. (Whenever that may be)
  • bayardsbayards Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iplayer will have the 3D version....but blu-ray for me...
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully it will be put on via the iplayer via Sky. Easiest fix isn't it?

Hopefully, but i tried to find "Night Of The Doctor" on it yesterday, but it wasn't on there, presumably because it is an online show, and not broadcast, but hopefully the same won't happen for the 3D version, but it might.

In case anyone doesn't know waht it is, it's a mini episode (6 minutes) with Paul McGann showing his final moments, the TIme War and giving more info about John Hurt's Doctor, in readiness for the weekend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night_of_the_Doctor
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC said to watch Night of the Doctor on I player. If they are denying these things to the 10 million Sky viewers then they need to be honest in their statements - ie you can watch it there as long as you do not have a Sky box.

Pity there is this war between the BBC and Sky as it is viewers who are the victims of their petty squabbling.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Hopefully, but i tried to find "Night Of The Doctor" on it yesterday, but it wasn't on there, presumably because it is an online show,

Interesting, isn't it? Sky didn't have it on iPlayer, but accessing iplyaer my TV allowed me to watch it.

Second time that has happened. I can't remember the programme but I missed one and went into On Demand on Sky and it wouldn't let me play it, but going via the TV did.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    Interesting, isn't it? Sky didn't have it on iPlayer, but accessing iplyaer my TV allowed me to watch it.

Second time that has happened. I can't remember the programme but I missed one and went into On Demand on Sky and it wouldn't let me play it, but going via the TV did.

Usually a rights issue, like the BBC Three comedy pilots.

If iPlayer only get streaming rights (with no option to download) then it won't be on iPlayer via Sky, as that downloads the content to your box.

I've just checked iPlayer and the Doctor Who special is streaming only, so can't go on Sky's iPlayer.
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pity there is this war between the BBC and Sky as it is viewers who are the victims of their petty squabbling.

Sadly it is such a deep BBC governance issue re channels (or not)
    that I cannot see the BBC Trust changing things
    ~for just one Programme
    and it reinforces Transmitted Red Button which is NOT value for money ......
    (hence the cunning executive and the CRB)
  • tvphiltvphil Posts: 982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AllKath wrote: »
    I suggest those of us with Sky and hope to see the Doctor Who, 'Day of the Doctor' in 3D may care to read what's on this link
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/See-the-Doctor-in-a-New-Dimension-Our-3D-Viewing-Guide

There's a possibility that we Sky viewers may not get it. Lets hope the BBC & Sky sort this one out soon.

Doesn't look like it.
    the text "We're working hard to try to bring the 3D episode to Sky viewers" has been removed from the BBC blog linked above.

Thanks for nothing $ky.

I will have to connect my telly directly to the satellite cable (as luckily it has a built in Freesat receiver that we have never used before) to be able to watch in 3D.
    Perhaps I will leave it like this and save myself all the money that I have been paying to Sky...
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That'll only work if your TV has a Freesat HD tuner, not just a Freesat one.
  • frankie_babyfrankie_baby Posts: 1,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    That'll only work if your TV has a Freesat HD tuner, not just a Freesat one.

has there even been any tv ever made with a freesat sd tuner?
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Deleted
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvphil wrote: »
    I will have to connect my telly directly to the satellite cable (as luckily it has a built in Freesat receiver that we have never used before) to be able to watch in 3D.
    Perhaps I will leave it like this and save myself all the money that I have been paying to Sky...
    If your tv is already connected to an aerial then you could just watch it on Freeview. (so long as the tuner is dvb-t2 capable)
  • CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Won't be able to watch it live. Will it be on the SKY version of Iplayer or at least the smart tv iplayers?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Won't be able to watch it live. Will it be on the SKY version of Iplayer or at least the smart tv iplayers?

Don't know yet. If it's not on Sky's iplayer, my LG Smart TV or LG 3D blu-ray, I'll use my laptop and connect to the TV by HDMI (as I do to watch BT Sport).
  • kirstiemcnabbkirstiemcnabb Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    So this will not be on sky in 3d then, which most with 3D tvs have
    Daft saying record freeview for us sky uses as we cannot record the red button channel on our sky box
    Wonder if I can use the iPlayer on my smart tv to see the 3d, but i searched for any 3d progs and there were not any to try and test before Sat, does that work?
    Rubbish BBC, what a waste of doing in 3d when many cannot watch
    I thought they said earlier this year that they were doing no more 3d broadcasts
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So this will not be on sky in 3d then, which most with 3D tvs have
    Daft saying record freeview for us sky uses as we cannot record the red button channel on our sky box
    Wonder if I can use the iPlayer on my smart tv to see the 3d, but i searched for any 3d progs and there were not any to try and test before Sat, does that work?
    I thought they said earlier this year that they were doing no more 3d broadcasts
    This is the final 3D broadcast as the BBC's 3D trial is ending this weekend. The BBC and Sky could not agree a carriage deal for BBC Red Button HD back in the summer and apparently still can't. The original blog posts indicated it would be on Sky so we know the BBC fully intended for the channel/stream/whatever to be available on Sky.
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well at least some viewers can see the results which is more than they could the last two times that the BBC has had some expirmntak 3d work.... In the 1970s and 1990s ...
    And how many viewer saw sky's UHD 1 ....

And you can see dr who in the cinema....

But the BBC have said why they will not be proceeding with 3D ... Which is why sky is ,,,,