Yorkshire People

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'll be blunt here, because I know you all appreciate the old 'I'm Straight John Bull me, I'm just being honest' type malarkey:

What on Earth is your problem?

Another thread today, another pop at London/the South from a resident of 'God's Own County'. If Yorkshire is so great, why this constant need to belittle those nearer the Watford Gap? Mancs, Geordies, Scousers all have digs, but nothing like the relentless abuse spouted by Yorkshire folk. Even the advertising slogans of the local companies ('Good, honest broadband - from Yorkshire'; 'Let's have a proper brew') are couched in sneering, self-congratulatory fashion.

And as for the legendary 'friendliness' - if you're lucky, your average Geoffrey Boycott-worshipping Yorkshireman will just be downright rude and call it 'speaking their mind'. Unlucky, and you'll have to spend a night out in Doncaster or Sheffield, the former being where Jeremy Clarkson famously said that NOT having a fight after the pub was a clear sign of homosexuality. Which you'd get beaten up for.

So it is pride? Jealousy? A desperate need to be obnoxious for no good reason? Tell us abaht it. Fer nowt, if tha can bear to...

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So someone from Yorkshire has annoyed you and you take it upon yourself to insult the whole county?
    Very intelligent.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's 'God's own Country', not County.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloody hell that was a rant and a half.
    Yorkshire folk have it hard you know....
    http://static.advicenow.org.uk/files/lt-wills-2010-72.pdf
    :D
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've rarely seen a fight after a night on the town. I've seen plenty of people lying on the floor eating a kebab, but not many punch ups.

Jeremy Clarkson hasn't lived in Yorkshire for a long time if his accent is anything to go by.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Whedonite wrote: »
    I've rarely seen a fight after a night on the town. I've seen plenty of people lying on the floor eating a kebab, but not many punch ups.

Jeremy Clarkson hasn't lived in Yorkshire for a long time if his accent is anything to go by.
    Did you see the early clip of him on Top Gear on Michael McIntyre's show last week?
    He was almost slipping in to RP :D
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I work with a woman from Yorkshire and she's one of the nicest people I've ever met. She is very straight-talking, but never rude to anyone.

I am loathed to admit it, but I do find a lot of people from the north to be friendlier and more vocal than those of us down south. Geordies in particular seem like great people with a good sense of humour.
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You do not know what they say, they are like Yokels in a dire land unlike us Lancashire Folk :D

Saying that I'm off there for a few days at Easter as it's a bloody lovely place with lovely people
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Yorkshire folk are the Texans of the UK. Biggest county syndrome. They're right bastards they are. I agree with OP. Yorkshire folk are jolly ignorant. Etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Did you see the early clip of him on Top Gear on Michael McIntyre's show last week?
    He was almost slipping in to RP :D

I haven't, but it sounds funny :p
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    I think Yorkshire folk are the Texans of the UK. Biggest county syndrome. They're right bastards they are. I agree with OP. Yorkshire folk are jolly ignorant. Etc.

Screw you, I'm lovely ^_^
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's the only proper county. the rest are just dodgy knock offs
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are all evilz. Evilz, I tell you.
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leave it aat geezer, Sheffield's a good night out. Doncaster's a shithole though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All you haters need to remember that we gave you 40% of One Direction. You're welcome.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,615
    Forum Member
    To be strictly accurate it is more hole than shit. As for the OP, that was a bush beating around of and a half. Anyone got a clue who or what actually upset them?
  • Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Yorkshire, with Lancashire it's the buffer between us (Cumbria) and the southerners. Plus the accent sounds like a nicer version of the one here. Everything seems to sound dead wise. :)
    Forum Member
    kaybee15 wrote: »
    your average Geoffrey Boycott-worshipping
    Don't be so disrespectful. That is Sir Geoffrey to you. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your Welcome, come back soon.
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

They do good Yorkshire Puddings though :blush: the buggers >:(
    Forum Member
    New stick of rhubarb please. Seem to have shredded this one. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whedonite wrote: »
    All you haters need to remember that we gave you 40% of One Direction. You're welcome.

We also gave em most of their gold medals at t'Olympics, didn't we?

Equally pointless, probably.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    It's 'God's own Country', not County.

It's either/both - I've only ever heard it referred to as 'county', but Wikipedia says they've co-opted 'country' as well. Figures.
    Temp3st wrote:
    So someone from Yorkshire has annoyed you and you take it upon yourself to insult the whole county?
    Very intelligent.

Not as intelligent as you, clearly. By skating over the myriad refrains of 'Bloody Southerners/Londoners' that emanate from Yorkshire on a regular basis, and instead focusing on MY bigotry, you have shown us all (I hope) that we are not so different after all.

I feel a chorus of 'Kumbayah' coming on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    They do good Yorkshire Puddings though :blush: the buggers >:(

I'm Yorkshire right back to the first page of this parish register and a few others round ere. I can't make Yorkshire pudding to save me life. My husband (Southerner, some sort of weird cross between a cockney and a yokel, from Bedforshire) makes the best Yorkshire puddings ever.:)
    Forum Member
    What is that peculiar sour smell in London that belies its name of the Big Smoke?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We also gave em most of their gold medals at t'Olympics, didn't we?

Equally pointless, probably.

Jessica Ennis and Nicola Adams are from Yorkshire.
    kaybee15 wrote: »
    Not as intelligent as you, clearly. By skating over the myriad refrains of 'Bloody Southerners/Londoners' that emanate from Yorkshire on a regular basis, and instead focusing on MY bigotry, you have shown us all (I hope) that we are not so different after all.

I feel a chorus of 'Kumbayah' coming on.

What are of Yorkshire are you referring to? I'm from South Yorkshire and I've never heard this.

It's those bloody French we hate round these parts >:(
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winter is coming.