The Power of Love - terrible song choice

DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
Forum Member
✭✭✭
An awful song choice, huge mistake by Christina and her team, its an over wrought cheesy noise that cost her dear. I think if she had sang something more contemporary she would have won.

Fair play to Jermaine he nailed his last song, it had emotion and technique but I'm not sure if he will go on to be a successful artist as there are just so many artists like him - I'm not seeing star quality.

Comments

• 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a great song, but her version was not a patch on the Frankie Goes to Hollywood original - she drained all the emotion out of it.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was the best choice for her considering how well it went down during the battle round. It was the natural selection, since it was probably her best performance up to that point. What else should she have gone with? 'I Who Have Nothing' and 'Vision of Love' would have been predictable, whereas I don't think 'Everlong' or 'Bang Bang' went down as well as previous performances.
  • RhondaRhonda Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    1fab wrote: »
    It's a great song, but her version was not a patch on the Frankie Goes to Hollywood original - she drained all the emotion out of it.

Absolutely right. One of my favourite songs, and I hated to see it ruined in a dishonest and indulgent rendition.
    Frankie's version is hard to top, but I also liked a pared-down version by a girl a couple of years ago, if anyone remeembers that.
  • attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disagree, people went crazy for it :)
  • DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even FGTH could not make this awful song good. I hate, hate hate the song.
  • RhondaRhonda Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Different strokes for different folks.
    But Christina is a one-trick pony. i.e. a belter in the Whitney/Mariah tradition.
    She has a great voice, no question, and alot of people like that kind of delivery so I think she will do well. Just not to my taste, especially compared to the subtlety of a performer like Sally who can bring light and shade into a performance.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hated what she did with it. It's a stripped back song at it's best when delivered with a gentle vocal. Belting it out just strips out everything that makes it a great song and that's what she did last night
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She absolutely murdered that song. The woman has no subtly about her voice whatsoever.
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    I hated what she did with it. It's a stripped back song at it's best when delivered with a gentle vocal. Belting it out just strips out everything that makes it a great song and that's what she did last night

Exactly. She did the same with Fix Me, which turned it into a completely unrecognisable and emotionless shout-fest.
  • barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    The battle version was 10x better, the one last night was crying out for Nathan, plus she overdid the vocal runs.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rhonda wrote: »
    Absolutely right. One of my favourite songs, and I hated to see it ruined in a dishonest and indulgent rendition.
    Frankie's version is hard to top, but I also liked a pared-down version by a girl a couple of years ago, if anyone remeembers that.

Gabrielle Aplin? It got to number one after its exposure on the John Lewis Christmas album. I adore her version, but agree Frankie's will never quite be topped.

I think it's an incredibly powerful and beautiful song, but for me Christina Marie over-sung it last night.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    Exactly. She did the same with Fix Me, which turned it into a completely unrecognisable and emotionless shout-fest.

Agree. Someone needs to tell her that she is allowed to sing the tune.
  • supersnakesupersnake Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »

I have to disagree. I think she built the song up (as much as she could in a short amount of time). I don't feel as though she was shouting in the latter half; one quality I really like about her voice is that it feels effortless and not the typical kind of 'diva shout-off' that we're used to in these type of competitions. Also on a purely technical basis she NAILED the head note in Fix You AND sustained it, which for me was really nice to listen to and added to the beauty of the song. I guess it's personal taste but I just thought her she capitalised on her technical capabilities and allowed her VOICE to instil emotion into her performance rather than just relying on facial expressions and aesthetics to render a more feigned kind of emotion.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the emotion in Fix You is already there in the words and in the almost downbeat and simple way the tune expresses them. To my mind the song doesn't need that trowelling on of emotion. If someone offered to try and fix my problems in that tone of voice, I would be running for the door.
    I would agree that her range is unusually wide, and she sings in tune well. What I question is her musicianship and sensitivity to the songs she sings.
  • MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the emotion in Fix You is already there in the words and in the almost downbeat and simple way the tune expresses them. To my mind the song doesn't need that trowelling on of emotion. If someone offered to try and fix my problems in that tone of voice, I would be running for the door.
    I would agree that her range is unusually wide, and she sings in tune well. What I question is her musicianship and sensitivity to the songs she sings.

Exactly!

She uses every song to try and show HERSELF off, rather than finding the best way to show the song off.

:D at BiB.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    personally think its a great song, just over-egged for me. she has a great voice but not everything needs to be belted out
  • DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The song does need belting out, its a power ballad - albeit a bad one.

For the record I like Christina a lot.

Also

She Does Not Shout.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I thought she demonstrated great tone in places, great power and great control but she definitely over-sang it and I think that's as much Ricky's fault as anyone's. I think he actively encourages that kind of singing when he should be trying to get her to tone it down.

i don't think it was nearly as bad as Jermain's duet or Sally's "Both Sides Now". I love Both Sides Now but I really didn't like the way Sally sang it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dirtyhippy wrote: »
    The song does need belting out, its a power ballad - albeit a bad one.

Not for me it doesn't, Gabrielle Aplin's cover is sung relatively gently and I find it a far more beautiful version.
  • via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree with this. And with the latter comments.

There is no doubt that Christina has a great range, perfect pitch and responds to technicality well.... but there's just something missing. For me she doesn't empathise with the songs she sings.

As to The Power of Love....
    Relax was great, Two Tribes was okay.....but The Power Of Love was a bit meh for me.
    Preferred the Huey Lewis version
    (and evidently Jennifer Rush had another version out at the same time - all different songs).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not for me it doesn't, Gabrielle Aplin's cover is sung relatively gently and I find it a far more beautiful version.

agree - slow moving millie also did a very good version. the song is more haunting when sung gently IMO
  • Mrs SprattMrs Spratt Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A lot of singers this year did too many runs and variations. If you don't know the tune to start with - which I didn't about half the time - it just sounds a mess. And if you do know the tune, it's annoying to hear it murdered!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Spratt wrote: »
    A lot of singers this year did too many runs and variations. If you don't know the tune to start with - which I didn't about half the time - it just sounds a mess. And if you do know the tune, it's annoying to hear it murdered!

That's how I felt about Everlong. The original by Foo Fighters is one of my favourite songs, and their acoustic version is beautiful too, but it took me until the chorus to realise that was what Christina Marie was singing.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Menk wrote: »
    Exactly!

She uses every song to try and show HERSELF off, rather than finding the best way to show the song off.

:D at BiB.

Jermaine also never missed an opportunity to show off his low voice.

She was always going to choose something big and loud.
  • attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a lot of people's favourite performance of hers so it's just personal opinion isn't it? Personally I loved it, it built up really nicely. She sounded amazing at the beginning and at the end when she belted it out. You can't pleas everyone. If she had have kept it more low key throughout the whole song some would have preferred it but others would say they were disappointed she didn't go bigger.