World Cup Squad. The Excellent and The Poor Choices

Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
Forum Member
✭✭
These pages tomorrow night are likely to be full of posts about Hodgsons dreadful choices for the squad - and hopefully a few for inspired picks. Many will be in hindsight, so is anyone willing to say now:

What would be a good ommission and a dreadful ommission?

Who would be a good choice and a bad selection, of the realistic candidates?

Any you can go either way with too?

You don't have to apply this to England either. Anyone with an interest in the France, Spain squads etc, can do likewise.

For me, the good picks would be Barkley, Lambert and Lallana - although I think all three should be pretty safe and would be bad ommisions.

Another good choice would be only 7 defenders with Jones and Smalling as back up right backs. Leaves 8 midfielders and 5 strikers.

Defoe would be a bad choice cor me, unless as a fifth striker. Cleverley too and Ciri and Stones this would be a bit early for - although theres a decent argument for bringing them along as a non player.

I'm nonplussed on Cole or Shaw, cannot really go wrong with either choice and decent benefits in either.

I have Milner edging out Carrick and Lampard for the 23rd spot but no great preferences on them.

Im always keen on 5 strikers. There isnt a lot out there after the main four, so Carroll wouldnt be the worst option, nobody else comes to mind.

Comments

• BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Cole left out and rejected the chance to be on stand-by say the Telegraph.

Baffling, England need his big game experience.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised he's left Cole out.

According to Oliver 'Alice' Holt of the Mirror, Carrick and Cleverly are out, Barkley, Milner and Lampard are all in.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cole should go.

He is ultra reliable and is the only defender I've seen to have Ronaldo on his pocket
  • Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    Cole should go.

He is ultra reliable and is the only defender I've seen to have Ronaldo on his pocket

Didn't realise that he was such a fan.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Wilshere would be a bad choice. Obviously, the lack of match time isn't ideal but I think it's OK to look beyond that if the player in question is a matchwinner. Wilshere isn't the type of player you rely on to get you a late goal.
  • Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a Southampton fan I'm very happy for Luke Shaw - Cole is past it and it's good to see Hodgson looking to the future
  • yakutzyakutz Posts: 10,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shocked Cole isn't going. Impressed me more in those two games against Atletico & Liverpool than Baines has all year, and is the only English player I can think of to consistently show up in the big games.
  • bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ashley Cole retires from International Football.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good choice to take shaw I think they need to start clearing out the old guard.

This should be the last tournament for lampard, gerrard Milner as well
  • JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would of taken him and even played him as first choice. I hope Baines doesn't get injured as Shaw is not ready.
    I wouldn't of taken Lampard though.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bhoy07 wrote: »
    Ashley Cole retires from International Football.
    Just heard that. Was a 50/50 call for me, him going. Shaw could potentially be needed for every minute from the 2nd minute of the first match, but he looks very good and can be around in four years time.

Hope Cole does make himself available as stand by, you'd edge for him over Gibbs or Flanagan.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    England's squad is irrelevant. Whoever we pick, it will be the same old story as previous failures at major tournaments.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Surprised he's left Cole out.

According to Oliver 'Alice' Holt of the Mirror, Carrick and Cleverly are out, Barkley, Milner and Lampard are all in.

Id be surprised to see Lampard in. That would suggest only 7 defenders unless one of Liverpool/Arsenal 5 midfielders does not get in?
  • bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Id be surprised to see Lampard in. That would suggest only 7 defenders unless one of Liverpool/Arsenal 5 midfielders does not get in?

If Jones and Smalling go then 7 defenders it will be.
  • JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,661
    Forum Member
    I'll always like Cole for his time at Palace. One of the most consistent players for England over the last decade too. Good luck to him.
    England's squad is irrelevant. Whoever we pick, it will be the same old story as previous failures at major tournaments.
    If all football fans shared this attitude, for most of us there'd be no point in even starting the season. :D
  • BizzaBizza Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see Roy has the balls to drop big name players, hopefully he'll leave Lampard out too. Time to start clearing out the old guard and bring in some young blood.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have been tempted to take Cole as a backup as the defence is lacking in experience but Lampard doesn't deserve to get anywhere near the squad.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not sure why we're even wasting time and effort to go tbh....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carrick not in either. Close call but probably marginally the right one. Should be on the stand-by list.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The standby list of seven is chillingly awful, we better pray for no injuries in the camp.

The 23 looks fairly encouraging though.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah the 23 is what i expected, the standbys very ropy.
  • JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    All spot on bar the bizarre decision to take Lampard.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    The standby list of seven is chillingly awful, we better pray for no injuries in the camp.

The 23 looks fairly encouraging though.

Indeed. Almost faultless squad for me. I always like 5 strikers, may have edged Carroll over Lampard but close.

Worrying lack of depth below, with no Walcott, Townsend, Walker. Not sure who else there is though.
  • Conor McHaleConor McHale Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 23 man squad looks decent, slightly harsh on Cole that he's not even on the standby list but maybe he didn't want to be.

I wouldn't have brought Wilshere either, but the rest look good.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JMTD wrote: »
    All spot on bar the bizarre decision to take Lampard.

Who would you take instead of Lampard?

Only 6 of the squad have World Cup experience as it is, worth having Lampard in the squad (not the team) for that reason.