Should England have tried to take Suarez out.

basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
Forum Member
My dad thinks England should have tackled Surez extremely hard to see how his injury was and hope he got injured and had to be stretched off. He thinks the amount of Liverpool players in the team prevented this from occurring and someone like Jack Wilshire would have done so easily.
Do people on here agree I don't because violent football is ugly.

Comments

• nevadanevada Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    My dad thinks England should have tackled Surez extremely hard to see how his injury was and hope he got injured and had to be stretched off. He thinks the amount of Liverpool players in the team prevented this from occurring and someone like Jack Wilshire would have done so easily.

I think Jack Wilshere would be more likely to injure himself using such tactics.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only Suarez wasn't going to destroy England was if somebody kneecapped him before the game
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    If we had to resort to that then we're even shitter that we thought we were
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    No.

What would happen is Wilshere (eg) would launch themselves into a tackle, injure themselves, get sent off, and England would have to play with 10 men and lose heavier. Then you'd have a player banned for the next game.

Suarez would probably pick himself up and score a hat-trick.

Besides not being tactically a good idea it would also be immoral.

Not to mention that the club bosses (Wenger and Rodgers) would go off their heads when word got back to them and would probably withdraw any support for the national team (and rightly so).
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    It's not an easy thing to injure him. Plenty have tried.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheMunch wrote: »
    It's not an easy thing to injure him. Plenty have tried.

I think Mirallas got the closest so far.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    Absolutely not. Nobody should want to win on those terms.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol Wilshere wouldn't have got anywhere near him. If you wanted to injure an opponent, just use the clumsy oaf Jones.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the sort of thing that might have happened in the past. But can you imagine the furore today if it became public knowledge that Hodgson had even suggested it. A player might have taken it on himself to give Suarez a hard time, but it's not so easy with the protection players now (rightly) get from referees. As previously said, the end result would probably have been a red card, Engand reduced to ten men and Suarez with an even bigger smile on his face.
    Forum Member
    Yeah we're not good at this type of thing on the international stage.

Rooney v Ronaldo. Ronaldo with a wink and a smile.
    Beckham v Simeone.

Two of the most high profile I can think of.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't work. Suarez is too smart for that.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't a player face criminal charges if he deliberately intended to cause injury to another player?
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    It's the sort of thing that might have happened in the past. But can you imagine the furore today if it became public knowledge that Hodgson had even suggested it. A player might have taken it on himself to give Suarez a hard time, but it's not so easy with the protection players now (rightly) get from referees. As previously said, the end result would probably have been a red card, Engand reduced to ten men and Suarez with an even bigger smile on his face.
    I think most people in England would support Roy if he had said that through.
    How could a manger withdrew support for the FA without getting the team expelled from the league anyway.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They didn't need to take him out they just had to defend properly, both the goals were easily preventable with basic defending.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's fair to say Suarez's injury didn't really hold him back, so it would have just been a pointless act of violence.
  • Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    They didn't need to take him out they just had to defend properly, both the goals were easily preventable with basic defending.

Totally agree with this.

Suarez finished well, but had the goals handed to him on a plate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    There's another option. I mean, we could've scored a few goals ourselves...
    Forum Member
    Rowdy wrote: »
    There's another option. I mean, we could've scored a few goals ourselves...
    Don't be silly
  • TexAveryWolfTexAveryWolf Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To nobble him, we'd have to catch him first.
    And that's the problem, innit.
    The only thing we catch is the first plane home.
  • MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nevada wrote: »
    I think Jack Wilshere would be more likely to injure himself using such tactics.

:D Agree. Arsenal players break things (their own) just thinking about a match.
    Forum Member
    To nick a joke from Andy Parsons
    "And it's the coin toss- and Wiltshere has sprained his thumb."

:D
  • Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • GortGort Posts: 7,466
    Forum Member
    basdfg wrote: »

No, it's dishonourable and wrong.
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good question OP

I dunno if Suarez likes to be wined and dined, but certainly worth ago
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know some here may not like the guy but to try and injure Suarez would be wrong, imagine if the tackle/premeditated injury was mistimed and not only did he leave the pitch on a stretcher but his career was ended too depending on the severity. Awful idea.