Options

Films about cookery or food

TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
Forum Member
✭✭
A friend's 40th birthday is coming up. He likes cooking, so I thought it'd be nice to get him 40 films about cookery or at least, features European food heavily.

Unfortunately, he doesn't like 'weird films', baking and subtitles.

This rules out films like Udon, Babette's Feast, Tampopo, Le Grand Chef, The God of Cookery, The Cook the Thief His Wife and Her Lover, Chocolat and so on.

I've already bought these:

- Who is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe? (1978)
- Big Night (1996)
- Waitress (2007)
- Julie & Julia (2009)
- Today's Special (2009)
- Toast (2010)

Surprisingly, I can't find anything from the 1960s, 1950s, 1940s and earlier. There must be some, surely?

English-language documentaries about food would be good. I'm not getting him Jiro Dreams of Sushi because he isn't interested in anything East Asian or 'too foreign'.

And please, no cannibalism. :D Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although it's unlikely to be out on DVD in time for your friend's birthday, the recent Chef was absolutely terrific.
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Aww shame about the weird and no subs and no cannibalism, that rules out Delicatessen!

You are a good friend, seems a hard task! Good luck Takae, s!

Only one food related atm I can think of is Fast Food Nation, not quite the bill I should imagine!
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Après Vous with Daniel Auteuil?

Although it's really just a film set in a French restaurant rather than about food.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Picky sod, isn't he? :p

Perhaps you should just get him a Jamie Oliver DVD...
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
  • Options
    Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cannibal holocaust :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picky sod, isn't he? :p

Perhaps you should just get him a Jamie Oliver DVD...

:D Yes, he can be.

Thanks, everyone. Please keep them coming. Because there isn't many, I'm cheating by adding TV drama DVD box sets to the list. I got those so far:

Kitchen Confidential - with Bradley Cooper as Anthony Bourdain (dear god)
    Chef! - with Lenny Henry
    Whites - with Alan Davies
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »

Thanks, everyone. Please keep them coming. Because there isn't many, I'm cheating by adding TV drama DVD box sets to the list.

In that case definitely add Hannibal season 1 box set. More elegant cooking you will not find anywhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    In that case definitely add Hannibal season 1 box set. More elegant cooking you will not find anywhere.

Didn't I say 'no cannibalism'? :D

My friend is one of those straight-laced people, e.g. not the sort that enjoys horror, relentlessly bleak or 'weird' films. He still hasn't forgiven me for talking him into accompanying me to watch Being John Malkovich at cinema. :D
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

Chef! - with Lenny Henry

Once you've made him sit through that ghastly line-up, he'll be begging to watch Tampopo or Babette's Feast.. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

Thanks, everyone. Please keep them coming. Because there isn't many, I'm cheating by adding TV drama DVD box sets to the list. I got those so far:

Chef! - with Lenny Henry
    All of those are (supposedly) comedies.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Stephen Chow - God of Cookery. :)

EDIT: Ooops - shows me, ought to read first post properly. Sorry.
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Ratatouille :p
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite food film is Like Water for Chocolate, but as you said no-subtitles it's no help to you. He's missing out though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed Julie and Julia but Amy Adams was so unlikable as Julie. I later learned that the real life Julie is quite unlikable too.

Makes you proper hungry for everything Julia Childs cooked.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monty Python's Meaning of Life.

The bit with Mr Creosote in the restaurant. Well, you didn't say anything about nobody exploding due to overeating.
  • Options
    user986user986 Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    "Vatel" starring Gerard Depardieu - fantastic movie, really. It's in costume and absolutely stunning.
    Then there is this silly Hallmark movie called "Just Desserts" which is all about the famous Italian torta Barozzi. My grandmother used to bake the Barozzi and that was the only reason why I gave in and watched the movie... which is, in a word, forgettable. Loved the kitchen though and the back of the bakery.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    "Simply Irresistible".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you want drink over food then Sideways.

For a documentary, Supersize Me.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    American Pie !

"We'll just tell your mom we ate it all".
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm this is hard

The Stuff - Cheesy 80's horror film that features a living desert that takes over people's bodies
    Julie & Julia: Obviously about cooking
    Soylent Green: Food horror

Some serious foody documentaries:
    Good iNC
    Super size Me
    Fast Food Nation
  • Options
    summerwinesummerwine Posts: 2,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love's Kitchen (2011)
    Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (2009)
    Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 (2013)
    No Reservations (2007)
    Simply Irresistible (1999)
    Mystic Pizza (1988) ??

I’ve not seen the following yet:

Dinner Rush (2000)
    Is it just another evening at the hugely popular Italian restaurant of proprietor and bookmaker Louis Cropa in New York? Anything but as tonight's guests include; a local police detective and his wife specially invited by the owner; on the balcony rival bookmaker gangsters from Queens who want to become partners in the restaurant; in the corner renowned food critic 'the food nymph' is her usual demanding self; and at the bar, seemingly unnoticed, is Ken. As the evening continues enter Duncan, inveterate gambler and sous-chef on-the-line in the frenetic kitchen downstairs, who acts as the catalyst that causes the evening to draw to its inevitable, explosive, deadly conclusion.

Brooklyn Lobster (2005)
    Giorgio's Lobster Farm has been a tradition in Brooklyn for over 65 years. Manned by an eccentric crew and serving the best seafood in the state, the renowned establishment now faces grave financial troubles. The Giorgio family must find a way to hold on to the business or risk losing the cornerstone of their identity. Under pressure, each member of the family is forced to take a new tack in their personal relationships.

Perfect Sense (2011)
    An odd epidemic appears across the globe: people suddenly lose one of their senses. At first, it's an outbreak of loss of smell. It's often presaged by a destructive temper tantrum. In this mix are a scientist and a chef - she's Susan, one of a team trying to understand the epidemic; he's Michael, charming and engaging. Susan and Michael begin a relationship in the middle of increasing chaos, as the loss of other senses plagues more people and as civil authorities try to maintain order. Susan's voice-over reflections provide insight. Is love possible in such a changed world? Can anything make perfect sense?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    New film called The Hundred-Foot Journey starring Helen Mirren
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2980648/reference
    The Kadam family leaves India for France where they open a restaurant directly across the road from Madame Mallory's Michelin-starred eatery.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chef which was out in the summer a couple of months back. It was fantastic! Highly recommended, i absolutely loved it.

Starring Jon Favreau, Scarlett Johansson, Robert Downey Jr, Sofia Vergara and John Legizamo.

A family film with mix of drama and comedy and a heart of gold.