I wish Danny Dyer would tone down his accent for EE

FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
Forum Member
Has anyone else noticed? His accent is so strong and it looks like he's putting in extra effort to say words. He opens his mouth so wide when speaking too! Me and my girlfriend have this game where we pause the tv and guess how many sausages we could fit in it ;-)

Comments

• Dannielle_HowelDannielle_Howel Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a real Cockney. Really that's what they all should sound like.
  • FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    He's a real Cockney. Really that's what they all should sound like.

Really? If everyone in EastEnders sounded like that, I'd stop watching. I couldn't bear it :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »
    Really? If everyone in EastEnders sounded like that, I'd stop watching. I couldn't bear it :blush:

Lmao! It is a few tad overbearing yeah. I personally don't mind the accent, its the cockney words they slip into the script that kind of does my head in! Like blower for phone... Please, just say phone!
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His voice has started to grate on me. I agree he should tone it down. He didn't over do it when he first joined so I don't know what's changed recently. Cards on table Mick gets on my wick. I used to like him but the writing for him lately is absolute crap. He acts like an overgrown child and has a saint complex. Then the accent. He must nearly shit himself through the sheer bodily force it takes to project his words in such a way. Mick Carter had so much promise in the beginning but the character is a dud. Danny Dyer can and has done better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His voice has started to grate on me. I agree he should tone it down. He didn't over do it when he first joined so I don't know what's changed recently. Cards on table Mick gets on my wick. I used to like him but the writing for him lately is absolute crap. He acts like an overgrown child and has a saint complex. Then the accent. He must nearly shit himself through the sheer bodily force it takes to project his words in such a way. Mick Carter had so much promise in the beginning but the character is a dud. Danny Dyer can and has done better.

Mmm I wouldn't go that far, I don't think we've seen all sides to Mick yet. I still think he's a good character though :)
  • FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    Lmao! It is a few tad overbearing yeah. I personally don't mind the accent, its the cockney words they slip into the script that kind of does my head in! Like blower for phone... Please, just say phone!

There's also not one episode I haven't heard him say the word "lively". It's not just the character, he says it in real life too! Maybe they should keep Danny Dyer & Mick Carter separate :D
  • NeomysterioNeomysterio Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why didn't he just say milk on Monday's episode? That annoyed me.
  • soapfan2005soapfan2005 Posts: 751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha ha, I remember a few threads recently crying out for EastEnders to represent the east end, they get a true honest east ender in, rather than someone from the home counties putting on an accent, and you still complain!
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are not many native EastEnders in EastEnders, Danny Dyer and Ann Mitchell are the only ones now Patsy Palmer has left.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Ha ha, I remember a few threads recently crying out for EastEnders to represent the east end, they get a true honest east ender in, rather than someone from the home counties putting on an accent, and you still complain!

Too true. Some of these actors think that if they say ain't enough that they sound like an Eastender, well they don't. Let's value the few genuine accents that we do have left.
  • Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    There are not many native EastEnders in EastEnders, Danny Dyer and Ann Mitchell are the only ones now Patsy Palmer has left.

The three of them should put on a blonde wig and say:

"I'm old East End. Real East End. Proper. You don't mess with me."
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. He does seem to be going a bit over the top now. It's not really authentic, and Danny Dyer must know that. You wouldn't find many of the younger generation in the East End talking like that, even market traders etc. His accent has changed to more like the characters you would see in movies from the 50's..he'll be sticking his thumbs in his braces and doing a Dick Van Dyke next. :)
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    I like his accent, he's funny especially with the slang!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    Well I come from around the east end and people do actually talk like that. He may put on the accent a little bit but it's still mostly genuine. He is one of the only true east enders on the show
  • puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Mick and Danny and the Carters....but his acting is getting worse...he scrunches his face and eyes and does this weird breathing
  • theiceman2014theiceman2014 Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danny Dyer is a proper cockney, old school london and how it should be but op probably wants charecters saying 'safe blud' 'innit man' like fatboy.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know what people want? Apparently Peter and Lucy sound(ed) too "posh" for the East End. :confused:

Now Dexter and Mick sound too "annoying". I guess there must not be many Londoners on here because all these accents are entirely normal. I don't find any of them annoying and it's good to actually have actors that sound like they are from London. (Abi I'm looking at you).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate it too.
    Sometimes when he says some words its like his gritting his teeth to say it. Its annoying
  • NoushNoush Posts: 4,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awful!!! When he sang "love is in the air" I cringed!!! 😝😝😝😝😝😝
    It was so pathetic and frankly embarrassing. Anyone who disagrees please watch it back and listen....he's a tw*t!

🎤 🎼 🎵 🎶 LUVIS INTHEE EH-YAAAH 🎼 🎵 🎶 🎤
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    an actual Cockney talking in his natural dialect! oh the madness
  • soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in the very much like camp.

love a cockney accent and rhyming slang so different to us northerners.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    soap-lea wrote: »
    I'm in the very much like camp.

love a cockney accent and rhyming slang so different to us northerners.

I'm irish and I find the Cockney accent totally hot lol!
  • ImOnlyWeeImOnlyWee Posts: 11,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe more characters should sound like him and Maddy Hill, are we forgetting about Maddy...it is Eastenders after all..
  • Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The different accents across the country are fascinating I think.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Discussion has hit a brick wall.

I'll start a thread bemoaning Manc accents in Coronation Street. Not like it's set in Manchester or anything. :D