Got to put electrical items away?

sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
Forum Member
✭✭✭
On my FB people are talking about having to put all their electrical items away from "something" that is going to hit us on Saturday.:confused:

OK I'm crap at understanding things like this, my mind just dosnt take data in. No matter how hard I try to read I just skim it.
Can someone explain in very simple terms. :blush:

http://www.solarham.net/data/events/sep10_2014_x1.6/index.htm

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anything like that actually needed to be done, you wouldn't hear it first on facebook, it would be on the news all day. :)
  • dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just as long as we don't end up like it was in Revolution
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Well, that's just great!

One week before Scotland makes a historic decision to become an independent nation and we get hit by Armageddon!
  • makavelli132makavelli132 Posts: 1,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On my FB people are talking about having to put all their electrical items away from "something" that is going to hit us on Saturday.:confused:

OK I'm crap at understanding things like this, my mind just dosnt take data in. No matter how hard I try to read I just skim it.

Did you not read your OWN link that YOU posted?!..

It says it happened yesterday on the 10th.

yep we are all still alive and well.

End of thread/
  • rufnek2k6rufnek2k6 Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anything like that actually needed to be done, you wouldn't hear it first on facebook, it would be on the news all day. :)

Yes. Just like the millenium bug. ;-):D
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

End of thread/

I read it could be as early as Friday .. tomorrow but more likely Saturday:confused:

Once the plasma cloud reaches Earth, possibly by as early as Friday, minor to major geomagnetic storming will be possible. This event could interact with an earlier slower moving CME following the M4.5 event from Sept. 9. Sky watchers should remain alert this weekend for visual aurora displays. More updates to follow.

Also I have not posted anything about end of the world. Its about something that "Could""Might" interfere with electrical items and people are saying to pack them away just in case.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

End of thread/

If you had read the link you would have seen.
    Minor to major geomagnetic storming will be possible once the plasma cloud arrives, possibly as early as Friday.
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rufnek2k6 wrote: »
    Yes. Just like the millenium bug. ;-):D

How does that compare? The millennium bug was a real threat and IT companies and departments spent at least two years working really hard to change systems to remove the problem.
    It only passed by without incident because it was dealt with, not because it wasn't a real threat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also I have not posted anything about end of the world. Its about something that "Could""Might" interfere with electrical items and people are saying to pack them away just in case.

The major danger would be to satellites and the like. Anything strong enough to take out your TV and the like would have far greater impact than damaging your kit such as to make such damage irrelevant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    How does that compare? The millennium bug was a real threat and IT companies and departments spent at least two years working really hard to change systems to remove the problem.
    It only passed by without incident because it was dealt with, not because it wasn't a real threat.

Indeed, it's quite frustrating when people use the millennium bug as an example of how scary things don't happen and we shouldn't do anything whereas it is an example of how actually doing something does work. Same with the ozone layer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    The major danger would be to satellites and the like. Anything strong enough to take out your TV and the like would have far greater impact than damaging your kit such as to make such damage irrelevant.

Thank you Bobcar. That is all I wanted to know. Sometimes Techie people talk in a "foreign" language that goes over my head.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Once again, remove the head or destroy the brain....
  • rufnek2k6rufnek2k6 Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once again, remove the head or destroy the brain....

Well I would do but he cancelled PMQs yesterday and is in Scotland at the moment. :D
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Another Facebook share if you dare thing :yawn:

Solar storms have been going for hundreds and thousands and millions of years and hitting Earth. No problem. . We're still here!!!

Although I will say, I am actually dead now, because I never forwarded that pink ribbon to 10 of my friends within 3 minutes. :confused:

OP, move on. :cool:
  • dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    artnada wrote: »

Solar storms have been going for hundreds and thousands and millions of years and hitting Earth. No problem. . We're still here!!!

Although I will say, I am actually dead now, because I never forwarded that pink ribbon to 10 of my friends within 3 minutes. :confused:

You can let go now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hmmm Once again read the thread it has nothing to do with the end of the world, or us coming to harm. if it were, what would be the point in the tittle of this thread. Lets make sure all our electrics survive what kills us :confused::D

It wasn't a FB share it was on a group where lots of techie people gather.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes but for most of those millions of years we haven't had advanced technology that would be affected by such things. It is possible for an extreme flare to take out satellites, power lines and much of our communications infrastructure that would affect our civilization in a major way.

Now this flare doesn't seem so bad but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't go on improving our detection of such events and having emergency contingencies in place such as shutting down power lines for worse events. Complacency is not good.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I was just talking about this and all my parents seem to care about is the potential to see the Northern Lights. Who gives a stuff about those when we've got thousands of quid's worth of electrical goods that could possibly be damaged? >:( We also have a fish tank that needs electricity to keep going. Is this one really gonna do lots of damage or is it all scaremongering?
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I thought this was going to be a thread about tidy kitchens/rooms!
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was just talking about this and all my parents seem to care about is the potential to see the Northern Lights. Who gives a stuff about those when we've got thousands of quid's worth of electrical goods that could possibly be damaged? >:( We also have a fish tank that needs electricity to keep going. Is this one really gonna do lots of damage or is it all scaremongering?

The Northern Lights might be visible? That's brilliant. :cool:
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last time we had a bad one of these my Commodore 64 wouldn't stop typing the letter E. That lasted two minutes and it was really boring. :(
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    sodavlac wrote: »
    The Northern Lights might be visible? That's brilliant. :cool:

Maybe but we've thousands of quid's worth of electrics and then there's the net, phone and all that stuff. The fish tank needs electricity to run and there's also food in the freezer which would have to be thrown out if anything happened to power. Nobody seems to care about that :(
  • ZipMasonZipMason Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Maybe but we've thousands of quid's worth of electrics and then there's the net, phone and all that stuff. The fish tank needs electricity to run and there's also food in the freezer which would have to be thrown out if anything happened to power. Nobody seems to care about that :(
    Not to mention not being able to get my daily fix of YouTube. :(
  • lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    bobcar wrote: »
    Indeed, it's quite frustrating when people use the millennium bug as an example of how scary things don't happen and we shouldn't do anything whereas it is an example of how actually doing something does work. Same with the ozone layer.

I was only about 15 at the time of the Millenium bug first making headlines (about '98), the first thing I did was at home on my Amiga 500+,. I changed the date to Dec 31, 23.55 and waited.....Nothing. It all carried on as normal. At school tried it on an Acorn, exactly the same. OK these might not be in the same leauge as Air Traffic Control or the computers that control nuclear missiles but the notion that the world was going to end because computers might read the year 200 as 1900 and go into meltdown was (and is) ridiculous.
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was only about 15 at the time of the Millenium bug first making headlines (about '98), the first thing I did was at home on my Amiga 500+,. I changed the date to Dec 31, 23.55 and waited.....Nothing. It all carried on as normal. At school tried it on an Acorn, exactly the same. OK these might not be in the same leauge as Air Traffic Control or the computers that control nuclear missiles but the notion that the world was going to end because computers might read the year 200 as 1900 and go into meltdown was (and is) ridiculous.

That's very good. I was working with print controllers running Solaris. The ones we didn't get around to patch in time didn't work properly. I would imagine that there would have been loads of other stuff that wouldn't have worked properly either. Still you can belittle all the effort that went into this all you like