Options

subtitles any chance?

parents switched from a freeview pvr to tiscali + but find they are missing subtitles on recordings , live fine a digital telly but it seems strange in this day and age that tiscali don't provide them. You would almost imagine actually in this day and age that it would be a legal requirement.
bottom line is there any chance before the next millennium?

Comments

• Options
    parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The subjects of subtitles and interactivity crop up now and then - I'm sure I've seen a response from one of the MKs "we're working on it", but I think the delivery method precludes those functions at the moment. I was wondering if the upgrading of the phone exchanges will unlock possibilities - HD for one, but that's not the most important, subtitles is, IMO.

So "don't hold your breath" :(

parthena
  • Options
    ZapomaticZapomatic Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can understand a lack of subtitles etc on channels sent over DSL, but surely for the Freeview channels it's just a matter of software?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    Zapomatic wrote: »
    I can understand a lack of subtitles etc on channels sent over DSL, but surely for the Freeview channels it's just a matter of software?
    thats what I've wondered about as well
  • Options
    FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the OP said his/her parents had switched over FROM Freeview to Tiscali?
  • Options
    ZapomaticZapomatic Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Franglais wrote: »
    I thought the OP said his/her parents had switched over FROM Freeview to Tiscali?

I meant the channels received by the Tiscali+ box over the air (DTT) rather than through the phone line.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Fully in agreement with thoughts above. Even the cheapest, (sub £20), freeveiw receiver is able to provide interactive services - including sub-titles!

Surely the development team can enable this functionality on channels delivered through the ariel with little delay or expense?

Many people have posted on this forum pointing out this serious shortcoming in what is otherwise a tremendous and competitive service.

Come on Mk'ers - please deliver this upgrade for the new year :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    Zapomatic and KCCC Exile are correct those channels that are received via the aerial at the very least should have subtitles.
    Crazy thing is Had got so used to subtltles that even when at home using sky+ away from my parents I tend to switch them on:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Just wanted to add my 2p's worth (in case it helps). I really miss subtitles and also consider the lack of them a serious shortcoming in Tiscali (to the point I often think about switching to someone who can provide them).