Macbook air 4gb or 8gb?

mizhogmizhog Posts: 970
Forum Member
✭✭
I want to buy a MBA I wont use it for video editing or gaming at all. But just for downloading torrents, some office, watching occasional videos, surfing. Is 4gb sufficient or should i get 8gb?

thanks

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking on the Apple web store the extra 4GB of RAM costs 80 quid to add. So if that doesn't put you off I would be tempted to go for the 8GB on the basis that you can never have too much RAM only too little :)

And who knows what you might end up doing with the machine in the future that may need that extra RAM? And from what I understand you cannot upgrade the RAM after purchase as Apple don't use plug in modules on the Air.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, my MacBook Air is 8Gb, if you are figuring to get 4-5 years use out of it it's best to go for more RAM.
  • ibattenibatten Posts: 418
    Forum Member

You can't add it afterwards, and 4GB is rather marginal.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they refreshing MacBook airs in the near future? Because the resolution 1440x900 is laughable given the retina screen everywhere else you look. To your question, for what you need it 4GB should be enough, but who knows how RAM hungry the next OS will be. So personally I'd go for 8GB.
  • MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Are they refreshing MacBook airs in the near future?

Next week as part of the watch launch presentation is one rumour.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mizhog wrote: »
    I want to buy a MBA I wont use it for video editing or gaming at all. But just for downloading torrents, some office, watching occasional videos, surfing. Is 4gb sufficient or should i get 8gb?

thanks

Why the Air? You know you can get better ultrabooks for similar money?