Just bought a laptop without an Operating System

124»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Appreciate that - Ive decided to double the Ram & go for Win7

I never want to use Vista again, even if its still there on the laptop or if Microsoft pay me to use it!
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    OP, I would strongly urge you to not get Windows XP. It is already an out of date system
    and is no longer supported except for those who pay for support and updates
    Wrong. Windows XP is still supported to receive free security updates from Microsoft for the next 18 months.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The people slagging off XP are just wrong, notice the only argument against it is "it's old".

Windows 7 is old, the code dates back a long way.

Malware defeating add-ons for XP are new however.

And XPs diminished support is not relevant for a home user wishing to play games, internet, WP and all the other homey stuff.

Maybe in 18months time XP just won't be practical, but at the moment XP-Pro with SP3 and a free anti-virus (eg: AVAST and MalwareBytes) is perfectly fine and cheap.
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    The people slagging off XP are just wrong, notice the only argument against it is "it's old".

Windows 7 is old, the code dates back a long way.

Malware defeating add-ons for XP are new however.

And XPs diminished support is not relevant for a home user wishing to play games, internet, WP and all the other homey stuff.

Maybe in 18months time XP just won't be practical, but at the moment XP-Pro with SP3 and a free anti-virus (eg: AVAST and MalwareBytes) is perfectly fine and cheap.

All true.
    But, that means in 18months you would have to buy and install Win7.
    So save the hassle, and buy and install Win7 now, not XP.
  • kazzabeeekazzabeee Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If by any chance you are a student or teacher, you can get Windows 7 professional for about £40 from www.software4students.co.uk. You can also get it if you have children at school or college.

Regards
    Karen

PS It appears they are out of stock atm but it's probably worth checking on a regular basis
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,416
    Forum Member
    1saintly wrote: »
    But, that means in 18months you would have to buy and install Win7.
    Strictly speaking there is nothing to stop the OP or anybody else continuing to use XP after 18months. The OS isn't going to suddenly stop working.

Realistically I think there will be a lot of XP PCs floating about long after it goes EOL in 2014, and 3rd party developers will probably accommodate them to some extent as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 7 been slapped on, and working fine. Might double the Ram from 2GB to keep it zippy!

Thanks to all