Options

Misfits Series 5 - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    Tried to give Misfits another go tonight. Haven't watched it since the end of season 3.

Sure, it was always going to be a tough sell, as I was coming into a show full of characters I don't know. But I've done with that plenty of other shows and been interested enough to stick with them and work backwards to catch up. And in some rare cases, big cast changes can even improve a show (Being Human, for example)

Not in this case though. Maybe it was bad timing with a story about the (apparent) death of the probation worker, but this had a sense of seen it all before... and better. The Drop Dead Freda storyline wasn't especially engaging either.

For me Misfit's will always be a 3 season show. And to be honest, I'm on the fence with season 3. Rudy was (and still is) a Lidls Nathan and Alisha's pointless death screwed up an almost perfect bittersweet love story.

Those first two seasons were telly gold though.

I have to admit I agree with you mostly .

it just doesn't have the same fizzle anymore . Overmann is a great writer tho , he's done loads of great work , and he still has great ideas , wish he'd do a dr. who .

the probation worker scenes aren't funny anymore , just very uncomfortable .

I'll still watch it til the end , there's still some vg moments . Karla Chrome is gorgeous , wish she'd smile more often tho , she always has that 'smacked arse' face on her .

• Options
    RobRob Posts: 4,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meh, not a bad episode.....kind of. Seemed to have a lot of filler in an attempt to meat it out a bit. Scary was fantastic, utterly horrific and they should have used it more, made him a proper episode villian rather than tacking him right at the end in a little 5 minute section.
  • Options
    Kieran SeymourKieran Seymour Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RobInnes wrote: »
    Scary was fantastic, utterly horrific and they should have used it more, made him a proper episode villian rather than tacking him right at the end in a little 5 minute section.
    I'd love to see Howard Overman do a proper horror/supernatural story for one of the channels at some point.

Scary and the white rabbit from last year are two of the creepiest and most well realised ideas of that kind I've seen on television in years.
  • Options
    threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Rudy, Abbey, The probation officer (thankfully he survived) and after the last episode or two, Finn has really grown on me :)

Compared to the original cast I only watched for Nathan and to see what was going on with Simon so overall I guess I prefer the cast now.
  • Options
    Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too prefer the cast now than what they had at the start. Rudy is fantastic. Finn is fun. Jess and Abbey are OK. Don't like the Geordie bloke so much. But compare that to the first lot where, for me anyway, only Nathan was particularly any good then it's much stronger now than it's ever been.
  • Options
    the dourflathe dourfla Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aciiiiiiiiiid a a aciiiiiiiiiid:D
  • Options
    emma555emma555 Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    aciiiiiiiiiid a a aciiiiiiiiiid:D

Haha, that part was the best. Where's the gif?
  • Options
    mel_drewmel_drew Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's getting better with every episode. I really enjoyed this last one. Something for Shaun to get his teeth into - he's been badly underused so far but he was hilarious in this. I, too, am glad he survived although it's a break with tradition. And the reveal of Abby's back story was clever. I'm glad she survived, as well. (I had a bad feeling that Laura would be killed by Scary and Abby would puff out of existence, but I'm pleased to have been wrong.)

Some people seem to be lukewarm, but I'm loving it. Such a shame they're going to kill it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This week's Misfits was probably my favourite episode for 2 series. Loved the humour, the scary bits were proper freaky, and Abby's storyline gave me feels (it helped that I liked the character before, she's like a more interesting, less ott (and hotter) Rudy).

I found Finn either boring or annoying last series, wanted him killed off, but this series the writing for him has been so much better. The cringey piano duet had me laughing all the way through.

I would have liked more Scary, he was fantastic, but I'm glad Laura wasn't killed off as I was fearing (I want more of her but I assume by the ending that's it for her). I'm probably going to watch the episode again later in the week :)
  • Options
    Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    Did I miss something? Why did the social worker all of a sudden have a gay crush on Finn?

Whilst funny, it was all a bit random. Must be the power of love. :D
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did I miss something? Why did the social worker all of a sudden have a gay crush on Finn?

Whilst funny, it was all a bit random. Must be the power of love. :D

I think it was building up for quite some time, though seeing Alex exorcising the devil from Finn in his "special" way may have been the final catalyst;)
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were hints in series 4 that the Probation worked was probs gay anyway.
  • Options
    MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved that episode, lots going on, quite funny and scary and touching.
  • Options
    JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    Misfits is in a really good place just now. After a dip in quality in seasons 3 and 4, its back at its best. As some others have said I think this cast is even stronger than seasons 1-2 now.

It just shows what you can do with a some imaginative writing, good acting and editing. I bet it has fairly small budget compared to other shows dealing with superheroes/people with abilities, but Misfits is just quality.

I especially love the cinematography in this show, all those shots of the community centre and the tower blocks are so well done in the context of the stories.
  • Options
    Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    ...and also shows that something good can be made on a small budget if it is written well.

But that has always been the case. Coving up a badly written piece with costly special effects never works well.

It's always about the writing.
  • Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    The writing definitely, but for me the look of the show also plays a large part. The lack of budget obviously forced them to come up with some creative solutions for the way the show would look, and be filmed, and it has been successful partly because of that. So it wound me up no end when they obviously had a slightly bigger budget in Series 3, and decided to make changes to the show, which unfortunately made it look like Hollyoakes, or something else we've seen before.

Anyway, so far this series has been really strong, I'd place it below 1 & 2, with 4 probably being the weakest.

Loved episode 3. It had the right mix of drama, silliness and tension and it managed to be both disturbing, and very funny at the same time. Loved it, and so glad the PW lives :D
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I really like this series as well.

Looking forward to tonight's on E4+1 :)
  • Options
    Songbird90Songbird90 Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    I love rudy too, i want him to get younger and stay till the end :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just tuning into it now. Rudy showers before taking a dump? That's very much the wrong order.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aw, Rudy and Jess! Cute.

Really liked the episode. The story about the tank on the beach was lovely. Young Mr Johnson was super cute, and it was a really cool power. I liked the idea of Rudy Two swapping with him for an hour a week until it backfired.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    emma555 wrote: »
    Aw, Rudy and Jess! Cute.

Really liked the episode. The story about the tank on the beach was lovely. Young Mr Johnson was super cute, and it was a really cool power. I liked the idea of Rudy Two swapping with him for an hour a week until it backfired.

I agree :). Rudy 2 is so full of goodness aww.
    And even after he was double-crossed he still says "See you Friday" to old Johnson in the bed.

They've done the story before in series 1 when Nathan has sex with Ruth: an 80 year-old apppearing as a young woman.
    Knitting woman is also rip-off of Isaac Mendez in Heroes.
    No matter though - still a great series so far :)
  • Options
    MobolocoMoboloco Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked the episode it was very much like that hidden gem of a movie
    The skeleton key
    which was ubber creepy.

I have to agree with the comments on the quality of the show it hasn't been this good for a very long time.

All the characters seem to fit, I even really like the probation worker.
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved that ep.
    Rudy two lovely, and Rudess are a cute couple.

The last jumper that she knitted looked like three of them are going to die :(

Really loving this series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I also loved the joke about Finn being so small, you wouldn't even see him on the jumper!
  • Options
    mackembloke72mackembloke72 Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    ""GOOD NEWS "" series 5 episode 5 is now on a week early as an 4OD EXCLUSIVE....

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/misfits/4od#3608114