Season 17: general discussion

Comments

• memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with you about Jack, Lili, I'd like to see him win, too. However, I don't think that's going to happen. I think Corbin and Amber are the more realistic potential winners, with Amber (& Derek's) fanbase giving them the edge.

As for this season's new pros:

Emma did a fantastic job with Bill E and I'll be very surprised if she's not back next season. I wonder if she might even be given a contender, as now that we've seen what she can do with a non-dancer, I'd like to see what she can do with a dancer.

I also liked Tyne's relationship with Bill N and I think she was doing a good job with him as well, until his injury. I don't know how long he'd have stayed around without that but they had a good partnership and that's the first step. (I thought they had better chemistry than Elizabeth and Val.) Again, I hope she'll be back as a competing pro next season, rather then dance troupe.

I also like Sharna but she made less impact on me as a competing pro than Emma and Tyne did. Despite that, I hope she gets another chance next season so that we can get to know her a bit better as a pro.
  • Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My thoughts this week,

Bill E - Was great fun all night and loved his performances. However, anyone notice Snooki / Brants faces of pure cold bitterness :D He was the peoples champions so glad he made it to the final Part 1. He has to go tonight though.

Corbin - Should finish 3rd I think. He was very poor this week. Quickstep not great and was overmarked and his freestyle not good enough than Amber / Jacks.

Amber - She was amazing, that Charleston was superb. Got to give her credit for that. Thought the freestyle was not as great as Jacks which moved me.

Jack - OMG I had written him off TBH after that Jive but the freestyle was perhaps one of the best on DWTS. It was emotional. Did deserve the perfect score. Want him to win but think he will come in 2nd place if lucky.

Personally Amber / Jack to win. Corbin crumbled tonight sad to say.
  • Lili27Lili27 Posts: 2,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People interview with celebs and pros.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20760344,00.html#vid
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like Amber will have the encore freestyle. Her twitter had a landslide.
  • ThaGazBoiThaGazBoi Posts: 15,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amber has the win on a lock.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corbin is not only insanely talented but one of the nicest celebrities I have ever met. He's a winner to me no matter what happens tonight.

Corbin is the only celebrity (and the only one in the cast besides Derek to show up at all) to take the time every week to visit with fans, shake hands and give hugs, kisses and autographs to everybody who wanted one.

Before the finale, Corbin came outside in his freestyle costume, the sparkly silver jacket and pants with blue armband, and stayed there a LONG time. He was there long before, and well after, Derek came through the crowd balancing on the benches as he shouted, "How are y'all doing?" and pretending to start to fall after a fan accidentally bumped him on his way by. The previous week Derek walked through the crowd and got plenty of hugs, but Corbin stayed much longer. btw Derek was the only cast member to give a shout-out to the audience after Monday's show was over, "Goodnight y'all! Thanks for coming."

But it was Corbin who invested the most time and energy to the fans. When his pen ran out of ink giving someone an autograph, I lent him mine and marveled at how sweet and caring a person he is. I know for a fact that some who began as fans of other couples changed their loyalty--and their votes--to Corbin and Karina.

Corbin and Karina's freestyle in person was more amazing than on TV because they were suspended upside down swinging from the ceiling much longer than shown on TV. It was a fearless performance!

All the couples performed amazing freestyles. All four couples will be feted in NYC and be featured on GMA. So whatever happens tonight, they all are winners in my book.
  • Prime!Prime! Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So I just watched the first half.

Jack gets's 10's and Bill gets 8's and a 9 for the freestyle?

Bill's freestyle was one of the most entertaining I've seen, (I think I include Shawn and Marks and Donald and Peta in that category)

It's ridiculous the over-marking Amber's got.

Out of the three left I want Jack, Corbin then Amber to win in that order, (i'll no doubt be disappointed)

But it's annoying these shows are just vehicles for people with existing dance backgrounds. (normally from Disney affiliated businesses)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching live.

Thank goodness now getting onto the final performances. Been dragging on for 1 hour 15 mins of pure rubbish!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corbin up.

With Cha Cha / Foxtrot fusion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So they drag the show on with pointless rubbish and now we have to hurry up as we are running out of time. Producers messing it up!!!

Corbin scores where fair TBH. I thought they would over look the obvious mistake.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack was worse than Corbin on that fusion I thought.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amber has won this. I would be very shocked if she lost now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack 3rd. No shocks.

Amber Winner I am guessing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL at Ambers reaction :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only thing that took away from Ambers win which she did deserve I think tonight was the smugness of Derek Hough. Cannot stand him.

Hope he does SCD with Cheryl Cole and they get voted off Week 3 :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Derek will have to build a very big mantle in the home that he is having built for all of his trophies. :).

She was excellent and I am happy Amber.

But laughing at twitter remarks the show should be retitled "Dancing with Derek".
  • CarolenCarolen Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Lili27 wrote: »
    But laughing at twitter remarks the show should be retitled "Dancing with Derek".
    Hehe, getting that way. Props to Amber, though, While not my personal favourite, she was a deserving winner in her own right.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I'm so glad our producers don't show such blatant favouritism as DWTS does to Derek.

I have no idea about the depth of his teaching skill as he's constantly given young women with a large amount of ability anyway. Just for once, I'd like him to get the duffer and Tristan to get the contender.
  • DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm so glad our producers don't show such blatant favouritism as DWTS does to Derek.

I have no idea about the depth of his teaching skill as he's constantly given young women with a large amount of ability anyway. Just for once, I'd like him to get the duffer and Tristan to get the contender.

In all fairness, when the cast was announced the general consensus was, with the exception of Valerie, Derek had the shortest straw with getting Amber! I mean, Elizabeth, Nicole, Christina, Leah, were all touted as having more innate talent, larger fan bases, then there was Amber's size etc. Derek really just did the best he could, and accentuated Amber's strengths at all times- her personality and her rhythm, and that's what got them to the final and won it for them!

No producer bias whatsoever this season for me- I even think if Derek had been given Valerie, the outwave of support for her might have carried her on top of Derek's fan base a lot further (She could have been this season's Bill E with Derek!) so I don't think it's possible for Derek to have won the "not with the ringah" title this series whoever he'd got!
  • Christian CageChristian Cage Posts: 6,239
    Forum Member
    Damahepa wrote: »
    In all fairness, when the cast was announced the general consensus was, with the exception of Valerie, Derek had the shortest straw with getting Amber! I mean, Elizabeth, Nicole, Christina, Leah, were all touted as having more innate talent, larger fan bases, then there was Amber's size etc. Derek really just did the best he could, and accentuated Amber's strengths at all times- her personality and her rhythm, and that's what got them to the final and won it for them!

No producer bias whatsoever this season for me- I even think if Derek had been given Valerie, the outwave of support for her might have carried her on top of Derek's fan base a lot further (She could have been this season's Bill E with Derek!) so I don't think it's possible for Derek to have won the "not with the ringah" title this series whoever he'd got!
    How can you say that she did not have a big fan base when she is from glee. One of the biggest shows on television. They won because the producers manipulated the show in thier favour.
  • dizziedizzie Posts: 4,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really so happy for Amber. She was really wonderful to watch. I'm not 'deep' in the DWTS fandom, although have been following it casually for many years now. Because of Amber's Glee connection though, I didn't miss any of this season. I think people are forgetting that the Glee fandom is huge, global, and exceptionally motivated to support the cast in any and all endeavours. It's why Glee actors walk away with a vast array of fan voted polls and awards. Trust me when I say, Tumblr and Twitter Glee fandoms marshalled the troupes for Amber, provided all the voting information necessary for people to vote anywhere in the world, and they did vote! The fact that I made sure I voted online every week is an absolute first for me with this show - until this season, I wasn't even aware you could vote outside of the US! I doubt that's anything to do with the producers - Glee is on a totally different network. It's very different from their own stars who they do seem to make sure get a 'clean' ride in the competition.

As for the 'Derek Factor', whatever fanbase Derek has is dwarfed in comparison to the one Amber has. A few week's ago, one of the entertainment shows ran a ridiculous story about Amber's friends and co-workers (namely Chris Colfer on Glee) posting the DWTS phoneline as 'his number' as a funny ruse to encourage people to vote for her. It was cries of 'injustice', as though Jack didn't have a famous family doing the same thing, or plenty of the other DWTS competitors utliising their famous friends to encourage voting (JLo being at the show for Leah etc). Derek's small but admittedly dedicated fanbase will not have affected very much in the latter stages of the competition. BTW, do they ever release the full voting figures for DWTS? Obviously they don't for Strictly, but do for stuff like X Factor. I'd be fascinated to see the weekly breakdown.

In any case, Amber was a great competitor, had a stellar attitude to it all - no tears or tantrums ever, and she never argued with her pro, the way some of the others appeared to clash from time to time. She was carrying a fairly severe injury to her knees, but still turned out fantastic performances. Apart from anything, she's a plus sized POC, and has won the whole damn thing! That's something to shout from the rooftops - that she doesn't just 'dance well for her size' but that she can dance REALLY BRILLIANTLY! She's always been a strong role model for young girls, now she's got a glitterball to reward her for her hard work!
  • memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't warm to Amber particularly (although I wonder if I might have liked her more had she been paired with a different pro or if I hadn't felt that she was overmarked at times) but between her fanbase and Derek's, I fully expected her to win. I wouldn't say I'm disappointed, because she's a very good dancer and worked hard and therefore deserved the win, but I would still have preferred Corbin and Jack to be in first and second place. However, that's my personal preference and there's really nothing to complain of in Amber winning, the way I might have moaned a bit if Bill had won, no matter how much I liked him.