Options

Pressure Pad BBC1 3pm

Comments

• Options
    GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Celine Dion representing France at Eurovision?

Oh just give me strength!
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Is it me or is it just a bit like Eggheads with someone standing in the middle instead of sitting behind a desk. The floor is just a gimmick.
  • Options
    EmmabellEmmabell Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    Is it me or is it just a bit like Eggheads with someone standing in the middle instead of sitting behind a desk. The floor is just a gimmick.

A bit but the contestants on this can't even answer basic general knowledge questions.
  • Options
    george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    suki c wrote: »
    No, not at all - this was a genuine question as the guys in the couple of shows I'd seen had definitely upped their 'gayness' and there was a lot of flirting between them & JB - all good fun as far as I'm concerned,

Still think that a 'pink' button is a bit of an odd choice!!!

Everyone flirts with John Barrowman, he's a flirty guy. He flirts with women as well, despite being gay. That's his charm really.
  • Options
    GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    I'm not much of a fan of John's but I find him a lot less irritating on this than on a lot of other shows he's been on. It's just a shame the contestants are so mind-numbingly thick.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is anyone else really enjoying this? I wasn't so sure about it at first, but it has grown on me a lot, and I'm looking forward to it now. I don't even find the questions that easy; some are, but I think they vary a good amount, and there are a good number of games.

I also think that the contestants aren't s always as dim as some people make out; there was a pair in a recent episode that had a really good memory of football teams in the lists round, and got through so many that when someone finally slipped up John Barrowman revealed that there were only three correct answers left.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it this evening. I'm really enjoying it. Fun to play along with and John works as host. Much more enjoyable than a lot of daytime quizzes like Tipping Point.

The difference between the first week shows and what we're seeing now is noticeable. Much more polished.

And the ratings are steadily going up. First week it was around 700k now they're around 850k.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Not forgetting 15 to 1 of course - the gold standard of quiz shows.

This one looks so bad I'll really have to watch it for myself! :)

Saw that Adam Hills revived this show a few months ago, albeit a celeb edition, missed it sadly, also seen there maybe new celebrity squares too, just wondering what celebs they will drag up for that.

Anyway, saw the last bit of this show today, hardly exciting and agree needs a re-work of some sort, kept waiting for the adventure games vortex to wipe them out on a wrong question :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pnp63 wrote: »
    Saw that Adam Hills revived this show a few months ago, albeit a celeb edition, missed it sadly, also seen there maybe new celebrity squares too, just wondering what celebs they will drag up for that.

Anyway, saw the last bit of this show today, hardly exciting and agree needs a re-work of some sort, kept waiting for the adventure games vortex to wipe them out on a wrong question :D

Pressure Pad will be hitting 1 million soon. Very addictive.
  • Options
    suki csuki c Posts: 6,088
    Forum Member
    Yes, it IS getting better but there is still something not 'quite right' about it, especially the final, I'm sure they'll improve it somehow. I like the part where they slice the map up - they could maybe make it a little more challenging by using a map of Europe?

It reminds me of when The Chase first started - couldn't stand it then grew to love it (mind you, much of that was down to Bradley Walsh, love him :) )

Incidentally, was watching Tipping Point the other day when Keith Duffy was a contestant - he has a lovely personality and would make a great quiz show host IMHO
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Just one more thing - I didn't understand if the jackpot is won by the whole team, or just the players that made it to the final. On Eggheads, while I don't think it's ever been officially stated, it is very heavily implied that the eliminated contestants are only out of the final round, and would still get their share of the money should the team win. Does anyone know how it's done on Pressure Pad?

Contestants fill in a form before recording starts stating what percentage of the prize money each player on the team will receive in the event that the team wins. Therefore, contestants who lose their rounds would normally win the same as everyone else, unless for whatever reason they had elected to receive less than the others / nothing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There are a few decent players occasionally but in general, it's a minefield of mediocrity. They should change the name to Fanny Pad. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    I watched it this evening. I'm really enjoying it. Fun to play along with and John works as host. Much more enjoyable than a lot of daytime quizzes like Tipping Point.

The difference between the first week shows and what we're seeing now is noticeable. Much more polished.

And the ratings are steadily going up. First week it was around 700k now they're around 850k.
    Funny you should say that as it seems that they are not actually being shown in quite the order they were made. I'm pretty sure that the episodes shown in the first week were not actually the first ones filmed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    icewizard wrote: »
    Funny you should say that as it seems that they are not actually being shown in quite the order they were made. I'm pretty sure that the episodes shown in the first week were not actually the first ones filmed.

I did not no this! You can notice the difference as in some John is far more assured. Also the editing and camera angles are better I'm some as the crew have decided on what works and is effective.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not 100%, but I'm actually one of the 'thicko' contestants on the show and the date that my show is airing doesn't correspond with the episode number that we had at time of filming.
  • Options
    johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    icewizard wrote: »
    I'm not 100%, but I'm actually one of the 'thicko' contestants on the show and the date that my show is airing doesn't correspond with the episode number that we had at time of filming.

When is it airing?

The questions are only easy if you know the answer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    johnathome wrote: »
    When is it airing?

The questions are only easy if you know the answer.
    This is true and not everyone gets an answer that they actually know in the heat of the moment.

Anyway, my episode airs this Wednesday, 27th November. I'm Jon, on the blue team. Obviously I'm not allowed to say anything about the questions / what happened until after it has aired.
  • Options
    mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a team from Scotland on today, it's really weird, John talks to them in a Scottish accent, then turns to the other team and speaks with an American accent:D
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Today's episode was abysmal. One team of morons. Ludicrously easy questions (how many people in the Two Ronnies?) and the final bonus question (turned down naturally) that a 10 year old could answer. The format might work, but only with a couple of teams of reasonable standard and some more challenging questions.
  • Options
    Pacman1854Pacman1854 Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    I did not no this! You can notice the difference as in some John is far more assured. Also the editing and camera angles are better I'm some as the crew have decided on what works and is effective.

If that's the case, how do they work around the accumulative jackpot?

Do they film a batch until the jackpot's won, and then start again?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pacman1854 wrote: »
    If that's the case, how do they work around the accumulative jackpot?

Do they film a batch until the jackpot's won, and then start again?
    I will explain more after my ep airs on Wednesday.
  • Options
    Kris77Kris77 Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    I can't believe that guy got the petrol question wrong. It's logical that the further back you go the cheaper it will have been
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm just sitting here stunned at the Scottish guy trying to answer questions about first class county cricket teams, who is out first answer with England. :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There is one thing that John did at the start that he seems to have stopped doing, which is why I think they're filmed in order. Initially if both players lost a life he'd always say 'The next person to make a mistake is out' - even if it was on a round where a wrong answer doesn't always equal a lost life. Now he only says that on appropriate rounds.
  • Options
    ep1987ep1987 Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's apparent to me:

The show was tinkered with as they went along.

The questions are now being set to the level of the contestants.

Thus most rounds have got easier.

Some games are still generally easier than others though.

Some games have gone from being ridiculously hard/random to painfully easy (divider being the most blatant example).