Options

Blank emails being sent out from my address

BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
Forum Member
✭✭
I hope I've got the right thread, I rarely post in this section.

It's come to my attention this afternoon that my email account has been sending out messages containing strange links to all my contacts, including my boss. I haven't a clue what the links are but I daren't click on them. Looking in my sent section, it's being happening since February without me realising.

Can anyone explain what's going on and how I can stop this? My boss has never mentioned anything but I'm a bit worried if it's something sinister.

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds like your account has been hacked. Do you use an e-mail client on your computer, such as Thunderbird or online through a web browser? And if you use an e-mail client are the messages in the sent folder on your computer or online only?

The first thing to do is to change your e-mail login password. It may also be worth contacting your e-mail service provider for assistance. This is especially so if the sent messages appear in the online folder only.

If they are originating from your PC then do a full scan with your anti-virus software and something like Malwarebytes to eliminate any nasties lurking on your machine.
  • Options
    BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's Yahoo mail. I took my laptop to a PC doctor a few weeks back because it was running a bit slow and he said he'd never seen so many viruses. I thought I had proper protection but obviously not.

He told me he put decent anti virus software, but the most recent email sent from my account is dated yesterday.
  • Options
    ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As chrisjr says, you also need anti malware as well as anti virus.

Download Malwarebytes & do a FULL scan on all your drives.

Malwarebytes is free, but be carefull when installing Malwarebytes as it tries to get you to run the free version as a trial for the paid version. You need to untick one of the options during installation or the first time you run it.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bahtat wrote: »
    It's Yahoo mail. I took my laptop to a PC doctor a few weeks back because it was running a bit slow and he said he'd never seen so many viruses. I thought I had proper protection but obviously not.

He told me he put decent anti virus software, but the most recent email sent from my account is dated yesterday.

This has been happening to me too on Yahoo (web based email), even after i changed my password. I think it is a Yahoo problem. I personally closed the account and no longer use Yahoo.
    They are very aware of this issue and have done nothing to recify it, my account was not hacked.
    My pc was squeaky clean too.
  • Options
    alan.walan.w Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has been happening to me too on Yahoo (web based email) too the only reason i know is i have a couple of e-mail address not in use and i keep getting Mail Delivery System messages they cant be delivered
    I have scanned PC and have no record of anything being sent from my PC :confused: