Celebs who act nice in the spotlight but are horrible in person

Comments

• woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CBeeN wrote: »
    I'm sorry but i can't believe that! :eek:

I'm afraid I've read the same things about Ms Whitfield in the past. Allegedly, she's always been a bit of a dragon and her politics are slightly to the right of Ghengis Khan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    The Bruce Sringsteen/ Bono story is lovely! What cool guys!
  • sunnymegsunnymeg Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my friends works for a bank. Her branch is close to a famous public school. Several years ago, she served Pierce Brosnan whose son was at the public school. The computer prompted her to ask for identification and she couldn't override it. Pierce Brosnan was amused at the situation and was completely happy to provide the ID, which he had in his wallet, just as a ordinary person would. Joan Collins also uses the same branch occasionally and is also very nice. One time the branch were raising money for a local charity and had a poster about the charity in the banking hall. Not only did Joan Collins make a handsome donation, she sent the branch some signed photos to be auctioned off.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    That's odd - you see I was sure I had already heard this story quite recently, so I had a look. Your friend's story sounds suspiciously like the one I found here - only this was in Dublin, not London:

So, it does sound like a nice story and may have happened once, but who to and where is a bit more uncertain.

As long as it happened somewhere to someone, doesn't really matter. Still a great story and Bruce Springsteen is known to be a really stand-up guy, I 've read some great stories over the years about him and the charity work he does so it's easy to see him doing somethng like this, whether in London, Dublin or wherever!
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've heard a lot of anecdotes about both Bono and Springsteen and apparently they're two great guys and very friendly towards their fans :)
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    I once spoke to someone who had interviewed Springsteen and he said that he can usually suss out what a person's like within a few minutes of meeting them and that Springsteen was one of the good guys.

He said he was down to earth, no airs or graces and friendly and when the interview was over they went outside and some fans were waiting. Springsteen went over to them and spent ages chatting, signing autographs and posing for pictures with them
  • MuSiKeMuSiKe Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister went to the Little Mix album signing and said that all of the girls were lovely, especially Jesy. :)
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not that well known outside the North East, but I've met Ray Laidlaw out of Lindisfarne and he is one of the most down to earth celebs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't approach James Bolam, seemingly he hates being recognised and won't talk to fans. Also he still has this petty feud going with Rodney Bewes, who is completely the opposite and will talk for hours about The Likely Lads.
  • ButterfaceButterface Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum went to see a play in London and she and her friends saw Dennis Waterman in the pub opposite the theatre. She went over and asked for his autograph, he asked her where she was from, she told him and he sneered, "s'pose someone's got to come from there..." She promptly withdrew the bit of paper she'd given him, snatched the pen away and walked off.

She said not only was he snidey, but he stunk of booze.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Butterface wrote: »
    My mum went to see a play in London and she and her friends saw Dennis Waterman in the pub opposite the theatre. She went over and asked for his autograph, he asked her where she was from, she told him and he sneered, "s'pose someone's got to come from there..." She promptly withdrew the bit of paper she'd given him, snatched the pen away and walked off.

She said not only was he snidey, but he stunk of booze.

He was horrible to a group of disabled children once, when my relatives took them on a Sunshine coach to London. He snarled and walked away from them. OTOH Ian Ogilvy was a real gent and posed with them for photos.
  • SunnyMcSunnySunnyMcSunny Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    There's a lovely story about Keith Urban (aka Mr Nicole Kidman) buying a guitar peddle for a teenager that has always stuck in my mind: http://www.smh.com.au/news/entertainment/music/urban-plays-santa/2009/12/22/1261243859264.html

There are some good celebs out there after all. I can understand people wanting a bit of time to themselves, or having off days and being a bit grumpy, but all these reports of people being consistently nasty are a real shame. I suppose some people lose their perspective after being famous for so long.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    That's odd - you see I was sure I had already heard this story quite recently, so I had a look. Your friend's story sounds suspiciously like the one I found here - only this was in Dublin, not London:

http://www.ricksteves.com/news/tournews/guides/barry_moloney.htm

I understand someone went on Graham Norton telling the same story too. There are also at least two slightly different versions quoted or linked in the Graham Norton Show thread (posts 173-178):

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1747451&page=8

So, it does sound like a nice story and may have happened once, but who to and where is a bit more uncertain.

That it does. I don't actually know this person it supposedly happened to but the thought that it happened to anyone at all is lovely. They're such cool guys. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    There are lots of threads like these on discussion forums around the internet, and Dennis Waterman's name comes up as often as Cilla Black's.
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting to see the comments about Jimmy Saville from years ago.

I met Barry McGuigan, Simon Callow, Patrick Kielty and Christine Bleakley at a do - all lovely.

Did an interview with Jeremy Vine and while I was waiting to go into the studio, Jimmy Carr came in and sat down (I presume he was doing another show). He was really easy to chat to. I was a bit nervous and he was reassuring me and we ended up telling each other jokes.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh what happened? Did you see her in person? :o I've read stories that she plays the "Do you know who I'am?" card in public.

This is true. I was in a lift at Earls Court (London Boat Show) when she stepped in and looked at me as though I'd crawled out of the cheese! :eek: This was in about 1982
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mallaha wrote: »
    I've encountered Rowan Atkinson in public. He doesn't like talking to "little people", and thinks that normal folk being in his general vicinity counts as "disrespecting his privacy".

I ignored him anyway.

My uncle and cousin used to see Rowan Atkinson from time to time at classic/vintage car events. Their impression of him was that he was rather shy and introverted, but generally OK. I suspect that's probably the case, rather than being snobby and disliking talking to 'little people'.
  • LiamforkingLiamforking Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once spoke to someone who had interviewed Springsteen and he said that he can usually suss out what a person's like within a few minutes of meeting them and that Springsteen was one of the good guys.

He said he was down to earth, no airs or graces and friendly and when the interview was over they went outside and some fans were waiting. Springsteen went over to them and spent ages chatting, signing autographs and posing for pictures with them

For me The Boss is the greatest singer/songwriter that has ever lived. A true genius. Nice to hear that he's a good guy too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I met Jim Watt at the local boxing club. He was a real character, cracking jokes and buying people drinks. Also a good egg was Henry Cooper, a decent man who wanted to meet his fans.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    For me The Boss is the greatest singer/songwriter that has ever lived. A true genius. Nice to hear that he's a good guy too.
    I used to have a mate who thought the same. I'm sure there must be subliminal brain washing messages in his songs!! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems Cilla Black is getting a very bad press. I don't know anyone who has met her, so can't comment.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,372
    Forum Member
    Jimmy Savile
  • tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's a pretty common urban myth, though. Not to be taken as gospel.
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    Cilla Black total bitch.

David Jason met him a few times in Leeds over the years when he filmed A Touch Of Frost.Very nice man.
  • SunnyMcSunnySunnyMcSunny Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    A friend of mine (very) recently worked with Angelina Jolie. He said she was an absolute delight - very quick and smart and funny - and patient with the technical side of the filming.

My friend is used to working with famous folks and said he was really impressed by her - one of the nicest big stars he's ever worked with.

I feel a bit bad for any bad things I may have said/thought about her now. Not that I'm one of those really bitchy women who hates her on sight, but I she's always annoyed me a bit if I'm totally honest with myself. :o