Hot to upgrade basic bank account

lem ramsaylem ramsay Posts: 1,076
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a basic bank account with Lloyds Bank (it was LLoyds TSB still at the time) opened in December 2012. I have never had problems managing it and it suits me fine all in all (don't need an overdraft or cheque book etc).
The only thing is that I am not able to withdraw cash from any cash point and I would like to be able to do that.
I wondered if I could upgrade to a standard account (with no overdraft would be fine) and how to go about doing this.
Would I be credit-checked and would they take my income into account?

Comments

• Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Give them a call or go into your branch and ask. I can't see why they would need to credit ref you (or take your income into account), but it's a perfectly reasonable question to ask.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    Give them a call or go into your branch and ask.
    Exactly

If they say no goto another bank and ask
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lloyd's Classic current account is free if you are in credit.

I used to be on the Gold account (which they upgraded me to when they had a reorganisation of accounts a few years ago)

They never advised me of the monthly charge but after a while (too long), I realised I was being charged unnecessarily for stupid add-ons, and complained, and then they said "Oh Yes, we have what is now called our Classic account"

It's a normal current account with full free, debit card access to cashpoints with a variety of banks.

You are warned about the cash machines that will charge before you proceed on a transaction.
  • davo1980davo1980 Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    You can upgrade online if you have internet banking. If they dont allow you to upgrade due to credit score, natwest offer a normal current account for customers who dont meet credit score but there is a monthly charge of £10. Santander and nationwide are more lenient with their credit scoring when offering normal current accounts. Hope you get sorted.
  • princesstechprincesstech Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    I have a basic bank account with Barclays which is free and lets me withdraw cash from any cashpoint with the visa sign. No overdraft facilities but I can use my card online which makes things a lot easier. My credit score went down the toilet when I lost my job due to illness so if they took me they will take anyone :)