Global Radio in Private Eye

Comments

• wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Borsant wrote: »
    With so many of their listeners being middle aged and in the social group AB1 , your categorisation of them is as 'numpties' is as ignorant as it is risible.

As is the way you patronise people you have never met into "one size fits all" groups!

Maybe one day, your posts will reflect your true opinions, instead of reading from the "hymn sheet" or believing everything you're told from L Sq!
  • BorsantBorsant Posts: 1,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wckartist wrote: »
    As is the way you patronise people you have never met into "one size fits all" groups!

Maybe one day, your posts will reflect your true opinions, instead of reading from the "hymn sheet" or believing everything you're told from L Sq!

Do you know and understand the demographic categorisations? I know it's popular to say 'damn lies and statistics' but at least in citing scientific methodologies I don't descend to calling people I've never met numpties.

Why is this so difficult for you? Stacks of people like the output of Global stations.

I neither like or dislike them over the range of stations available. I listen a lot to R4 and 5Live, but also LBC. I dip into Magic and R2, but also Smooth. In carving out a place in a crowded market, Global has settled on a set of formulae that are working. If they stop working they'll probably change them.
  • jon craigjon craig Posts: 1,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well considering the only outlet to run it is the oft sued Private Eye and as an inside story does suggest it's a fair way down the story food chain. Also looking at the previous post, has a crime been comitted or a loop hole legally exploited? Labour had 13 years to sort out such details ...

You are completely missing the point here. This is not about the Private Eye story - which in itself is a story about Global Radio. The real story alleges that senior Global Radio officials asked their news editors and on-air staff NOT to refer to the HSBC tax scandal (clearly a high profile story covered by most of the mainstream media). The suggestion by Private Eye was that this was not a pure editorial decision, but one to protect the interests of senior Global figures and their relatives who could be embarrassed by certain allegations. This has nothing to do with a story that 'no one else' ran, not is it about whether tax arrangements are legal or not. End of! Sorry.....discuss....;-)
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that the sole purpose is to make money, but surely if the playlist was wider, there would be better audience share and then the advertising would be worth more money?

Smooth's listening figures have considerably improved since the playlist was cut, especially in London where previously it had always struggled.
  • Terry PurvisTerry Purvis Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    jon craig wrote: »
    You are completely missing the point here. This is not about the Private Eye story - which in itself is a story about Global Radio. The real story alleges that senior Global Radio officials asked their news editors and on-air staff NOT to refer to the HSBC tax scandal (clearly a high profile story covered by most of the mainstream media). The suggestion by Private Eye was that this was not a pure editorial decision, but one to protect the interests of senior Global figures and their relatives who could be embarrassed by certain allegations. This has nothing to do with a story that 'no one else' ran, not is it about whether tax arrangements are legal or not. End of! Sorry.....discuss....;-)

I have to agree with you. Private Eye has a well deserved reputation for investigative journalism, the suggestion by them about Global is just such an example.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Without checking with a media monitor I wouldn't be able to say wether they covered the HSBC story on that occasion or not. I do know from regular listening that James O'Brien and Nick Abbott in particular regularly feature these stories. In the case of Nick, a peripheral weekend figure with a lower profile, a line that seems to go unedited/unpunished. I think it would be an idea to check the accuracy of the PE piece before piling in. I've enjoyed that journal since the 90s and it's very funny and iconoclastic, but not infallible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without checking with a media monitor I wouldn't be able to say wether they covered the HSBC story on that occasion or not. I do know from regular listening that James O'Brien and Nick Abbott in particular regularly feature these stories. In the case of Nick, a peripheral weekend figure with a lower profile, a line that seems to go unedited/unpunished. I think it would be an idea to check the accuracy of the PE piece before piling in. I've enjoyed that journal since the 90s and it's very funny and iconoclastic, but not infallible.

I'm hardly 'piling in'. I've simply referenced the story that Private Eye published and asked if any of Global's unofficial representatives (or one inparticular) were willing to pass comment. They seem very quick to defend the 'Global way' on matters such as playlisting and music rotations when anyone dares to criticise their brands (for what it's worth I broadly agree with them, and indeed you, when it comes to such matters), but whenever a story appears that is less then flattering, they're nowhere to be seen.

It would be nice to hear from someone who can shed some light on this. That's all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hardly 'piling in'. I've simply referenced the story that Private Eye published and asked if any of Global's unofficial representatives (or one inparticular) were willing to pass comment. They seem very quick to defend the 'Global way' on matters such as playlisting and music rotations when anyone dares to criticise their brands (for what it's worth I broadly agree with them, and indeed you, when it comes to such matters), but whenever a story appears that is less then flattering, they're nowhere to be seen.

It would be nice to hear from someone who can shed some light on this. That's all.

Turning to proper news....what's all this about BBC staff being banned from discussing Clarkson/Top Gear? 😉
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turning to proper news.... 😉

I'm sure you'll get a gold star from L Sq for that "Swerve"!

No constructive reply........as per.......>:(>:(
  • MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,886
    Forum Member

I did a quick search to see if anyone other than Private Eye ran the story, didn't come up with any but did find this Twitter feed where Iain Dale says he covered the story on his LBC Drivetime show.
    https://twitter.com/paullewismoney/status/574474356333637633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MikeBr wrote: »
    I did a quick search to see if anyone other than Private Eye ran the story, didn't come up with any but did find this Twitter feed where Iain Dale says he covered the story on his LBC Drivetime show.
    https://twitter.com/paullewismoney/status/574474356333637633

Yes, Iain Dales's contribution to that Twitter thread is a staunch and passionate defence of Global's editorial policy :D, but.......

No constructive reply........as per.......

.........still far better than anything offered on this thread so far. Which is entirely predictable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Glad to see your irony antennae is as sharply tuned as ever lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you swerving the issue of BBC management possibly gagging staff, or don't you have a view?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you swerving the issue of BBC management possibly gagging staff, or don't you have a view?

And the title of this thread is.........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the title of this thread is.........

Nice...I'll look out for you at Cortina D'Ampezzo next season with slalom moves like that!
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    It's the Quoted Eurobond withholding tax exemption rule. Labour has promised to abolish this exemption if they are elected.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/tax-special-investigation-firms-running-nhs-care-services-avoiding-millions-in-tax-8892925.html
    Similar to this to reduce corporate tax! an old article but maybe relevant
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/dec/30/global-radio-losses-grow-ashley-tabor
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turning to proper news....what's all this about BBC staff being banned from discussing Clarkson/Top Gear? 😉

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b054p0bj#auto 20 seconds from the start Peter Allen introduces the topic of Clarkson as being one of the stories covered by that morning's 5 Live Daily.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only heard about the 'ban' today on the news quiz, so maybe it's a new development...they were clearly defying if 😀
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only heard about the 'ban' today on the news quiz, so maybe it's a new development...they were clearly defying if 😀

I missed The News Quiz this week so thanks for the reminder, I'll catch up tomorrow.
    Always worth a listen.
  • leddersledders Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed The News Quiz this week so thanks for the reminder, I'll catch up tomorrow.
    Always worth a listen.

I wouldn't bother with the news quiz, or anything else the BBC broadcast to be honest. Just listen to the inspired journalistic output that heart delivers. I'm sure it would be far more infromative!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing Ian Hislop on Question Time reminded me that our friends at Global Radio had got a mention in last weeks edition of Private Eye magazine. Inside their media news section.......

'Why Global Radio told its stations, including LBC, to avoid on-air talk of tax avoidance following those embarrassing HSBC leaks from Switzerland'

I wonder why that might be?? ;-) LBC - Censoring Britain's Conversation.

Maybe their in-house nodding dog Cut 6 may be able to enlighten us?

The chair of the BBC trust is also a non-exec director of.... wait for it....HSBC :)
    File under 'Not a lot of people knew that, until todays Sunday Politics' ;)
    Nothing is as clear cut as you think.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The chair of the BBC trust is also a non-exec director of.... wait for it....HSBC :)
    File under 'Not a lot of people knew that, until todays Sunday Politics' ;)

File under "It's been in all the papers recently".

eg Rona Fairhead should lose BBC job over HSBC role - Guardian

Rona Fairhead told to resign as BBC Trust Chairman over HSBC controversy - Telegraph

Resign! MP blasts BBC chief as "incredibly naive or totally incompetent" - Mail

and even on the BBC: BBC Trust chair Rona Fairhead's HSBC role queried
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today or the last couple of days because of a select committee - it's all a bit rum isn't it. Did PE run it or are they more down on corporates than corporations?
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/dec/30/global-radio-losses-grow-ashley-tabor
    "This represents a coupon payment, effectively a dividend, to the controlling shareholders of the Jersey-based company, Global Radio Group Limited, that is the ultiwmate parent of Global Radio's operation."
    notice the Jersey banks are closing non resident accounts http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31908671
  • SohoSoho Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    The fact that Global stations succeed with their policies shows how inspired they are. You don't understand audiences, they do, end of.

I saw something recently the engineer concerned is still locked in the studio and won't let him out.