No shortage of hypocrisy in the FIFA scandal

The BackbencherThe Backbencher Posts: 577
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/phil-jones/fifa-scandal_b_7505566.html

Plenty of English football officials taking the moral high ground but are they really justified in doing so?

Comments

• John_TraynorJohn_Traynor Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    Phil Jones wrote:
    Much of the recent media coverage in this country of the FIFA affair has smacked of continued sourness at England's failure to win their World Cup bid and good old fashioned disdain for 'Johnny Foreigner.' An inbuilt arrogant belief that a country that gave the game to the world should still be running every facet of it.

Yes, and Greg Dyke wants to restart the crusades Dyke's Crusade
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, read my blog!
    Forum Member
    celesti wrote: »
    No, read my blog!

you forgot to link to it.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all rants about so-called 'royalty'!!!! anyway, probably the wrong crowd.
  • KierenjKierenj Posts: 2,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    It's all rants about so-called 'royalty'!!!! anyway, probably the wrong crowd.

Do you mean actual royalty? Or are we talking faux-modern day royalty like Jade Goody, Michael Jackson, Queen Latifah and Prince?
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Kierenj wrote: »
    Do you mean actual royalty? Or are we talking faux-modern day royalty like Jade Goody, Michael Jackson, Queen Latifah and Prince?

This royalty:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2077367
  • KierenjKierenj Posts: 2,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheMunch wrote: »

hahahaha... this is amazing. You've made my Friday.
  • The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    I don't think its sour grapes. We didn't necessarily expect to win the bid for hosting the 2018 World Cup but considering the effort we went in to producing the bid, the fact that England is a football loving nation and we have the stadiums and the infrastructure necessary to host a world cup, I think we were entitled to more than the one measly vote we got from the FIFA Executive Committee. I think at that point we were entitled to wonder why that happened and for the FA and our media to smell a rat about the way FIFA works, and of course we've been proved right now so why the Huffington post chooses this time of all times to criticise our media coverage is beyond me. Surely they should be congratulating the British media for being proved right about FIFA?!

On another more or less related issue, why are England talking about re-bidding for the 2022 world cup specifically? If we are going to re-bid for a world cup surely it should be the 2018 one as that's the one that was open to European countries. The 2022 bid meanwhile wasn't open to European countries, England included, so even if Qatar was stripped of hosting that world cup we still wouldn't be allowed to enter anyway, surely?! If we accept that the 2018 WC is going to Russia, a European country, then we also have to accept the 2022 WC shouldn't go to England regardless of whether Qatar is stripped of hosting that World Cup or not. If it is re-opened then the likes of the USA and Australia could re-bid for it but I don't see how we could join that bid. Am I missing something here?!
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Turk wrote: »
    I don't think its sour grapes. We didn't necessarily expect to win the bid for hosting the 2018 World Cup but considering the effort we went in to producing the bid, the fact that England is a football loving nation and we have the stadiums and the infrastructure necessary to host a world cup, I think we were entitled to more than the one measly vote we got from the FIFA Executive Committee. I think at that point we were entitled to wonder why that happened and for the FA and our media to smell a rat about the way FIFA works, and of course we've been proved right now so why the Huffington post chooses this time of all times to criticise our media coverage is beyond me. Surely they should be congratulating the British media for being proved right about FIFA?!

On another more or less related issue, why are England talking about re-bidding for the 2022 world cup specifically? If we are going to re-bid for a world cup surely it should be the 2018 one as that's the one that was open to European countries. The 2022 bid meanwhile wasn't open to European countries, England included, so even if Qatar was stripped of hosting that world cup we still wouldn't be allowed to enter anyway, surely?! If we accept that the 2018 WC is going to Russia, a European country, then we also have to accept the 2022 WC shouldn't go to England regardless of whether Qatar is stripped of hosting that World Cup or not. If it is re-opened then the likes of the USA and Australia could re-bid for it but I don't see how we could join that bid. Am I missing something here?!

Yes. I agree entirely. The Huffington Post article appears to be mixing things up completely. I expect many would agree in principle, it would be nice to see a more equitable distribution of the enormous wealth coming into the Premier League, but there's little the FA can do about it. The FA and Premier League are two separate entities even if each has a seat on on the others board.
    But it's also a bit rich to pretend that FIFA has behaved like some kind of latter-day Robin Hood, taking loot from the wealthy nations to distribute among the poor.
    Giving Blatter the benefit of the doubt, he probably did want to expand the game. I doubt many would argue with those aims. But he also knew it was in his own interests to "buy" the support of little nations to increase his own influence. How much of FIFA's largesse ever reached the grass roots of the nations they claim to have supported ? In most cases, very little would be my guess.
  • The BackbencherThe Backbencher Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. I agree entirely. The Huffington Post article appears to be mixing things up completely. I expect many would agree in principle, it would be nice to see a more equitable distribution of the enormous wealth coming into the Premier League, but there's little the FA can do about it. The FA and Premier League are two separate entities even if each has a seat on on the others board.
    But it's also a bit rich to pretend that FIFA has behaved like some kind of latter-day Robin Hood, taking loot from the wealthy nations to distribute among the poor.
    Giving Blatter the benefit of the doubt, he probably did want to expand the game. I doubt many would argue with those aims. But he also knew it was in his own interests to "buy" the support of little nations to increase his own influence. How much of FIFA's largesse ever reached the grass roots of the nations they claim to have supported ? In most cases, very little would be my guess.

It's worth remembering that the FA do have the power to veto the appointment of both the premier league chief exec and chair. Both roles that fundamentally dictate the direction and policies that the premier league takes.

It's far too easy to absolve the FA of any of the blame for the culture of greed that is endemic within the premier league.
    Forum Member
    Another excellent article here by Marina Hyde

Investigate 1966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Investigate 1966

Nail hit firmly on the head.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The English media coverage should be criticised. It's been one eyed, hysterical and jingoistic, which follows a familiar pattern...
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see how we can expect to be considered for the 2022 WC as it's a non-Europe host wanted, and even if the Russia bid was bent, it's not unreasonable for them to be awarded a World Cup as they've never hosted one and do have the stadia, infrastructure and a football history (unlike Qatar).
  • Cornish_PiskieCornish_Piskie Posts: 7,489
    Forum Member

The British are not exactly popular in Europe at this time, speaking in the wider sense.

The message we have been putting out for the last three years is one of telling Europe to get stuffed, tearing up the treaty on Human Rights, telling them to stick their Euro up their arse and how we can't get get a referendum quickly enough to let us vote to leave the EU completely.

The British are increasingly being seen, on the continent, as a bunch of bolshy, stroppy malcontents with no interest in European unity and wanting to change the rules to suit ourselves, that everybody else follows for good or bad.

If we think we're going to get any support for a world cup bid from UEFA or any backing from individual European football associations, all I can say is good luck mate.

They might like watching the Premier League on TV, but we don't have very many friends on the continent, and it's a rod we've made for our own back.
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    The British are not exactly popular in Europe at this time, speaking in the wider sense.

The message we have been putting out for the last three years is one of telling Europe to get stuffed, tearing up the treaty on Human Rights, telling them to stick their Euro up their arse and how we can't get get a referendum quickly enough to let us vote to leave the EU completely.

The British are increasingly being seen, on the continent, as a bunch of bolshy, stroppy malcontents with no interest in European unity and wanting to change the rules to suit ourselves, that everybody else follows for good or bad.

If we think we're going to get any support for a world cup bid from UEFA or any backing from individual European football associations, all I can say is good luck mate.

They might like watching the Premier League on TV, but we don't have very many friends on the continent, and it's a rod we've made for our own back.

don't think there's quite that much animosity football wise, but Dyke should shut up now. He's grandstanding.
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member

Investigate 1966

that's brilliant, thanks for posting the link
    Forum Member

I agree, we don't seem to be popular on the continent for the stances we've taken on FIFA and the EU but it puzzles me as its not like we've been proved wrong on these issues, especially FIFA right now, is it?

We haven't been telling Europe to get stuffed, we just want a more flexible EU for our country which is hardly an unreasonable request and we're far from the only European country wanting a more flexible arrangement. On human rights, its not about tearing up the rule books but amending some of the crazier elements of the ECHR. I think you'll agree we've been proved right on the euro, wouldn't you think so?* As for the EU referendum, I'm sure the majority of Brits would vote to stay in the EU but like I said above the EU needs to change as its clearly not working, not just for Britain but for the rest of Europe.
    I don't know why we're getting flak for wanting changes to certain aspects of how Europe works when I know most of Europe complains about those same issues themselves. The FIFA scandal is yet another example. We're not the only country that has been unhappy about the way Sepp Blatter has run that organisation and we've been vindicated yet we are still being criticised for expressing these concerns. Why? Were our media the only ones to complain about it? That's something I'd like to know, actually. Would be interesting if anyone knows how much coverage other countries' media in the rest of Europe and outside of Europe have given to the FIFA scandal compared to the UK.

One more thing, this comment you made: "The British are increasingly being seen, on the continent, as a bunch of bolshy, stroppy malcontents with no interest in European unity and wanting to change the rules to suit ourselves, that everybody else follows for good or bad." gave me a chuckle, assuming you're talking about the EU again here, as Britain if anything follows the EU rules more dutifully than most other EU nations. If you think the rest of the EU behave like good, little Europeans then you're totally naïve.

*To be fair, I used to favour Britain joining the Euro and was disappointed that we'd opted out of it at the time but I'm happy to admit I was totally wrong to think joining the single currency would've been a good idea. It clearly wasn't, especially when you see what's happening in Greece at the mo.
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really see what Britain's role in the EU (a political issue) has to do with anything here, nor us not joining the Euro.

Although if it does have anything to do with it we have been proved right on the Euro.
    Forum Member
    I don't really see what Britain's role in the EU (a political issue) has to do with anything here, nor us not joining the Euro.

Although if it does have anything to do with it we have been proved right on the Euro.
    I apologise for going off subject. I was replying to a poster who argued the criticism of the English FA and media was justified because of the way they constantly complained about FIFA and used the Brits' attitude to the EU and the Euro currency as another example of why England or Britain possibly isn't well liked on the continent at the mo. I countered our criticisms of FIFA as well as the EU and especially the Euro currency have been proved justified so I see a pattern here of us getting criticised for criticising something, our criticisms are then proved to be right over time but bizarrely we still get criticised for making the criticisms, even though at the same time no-one denies we were right all along about the criticisms we made and the recent events of FIFA and the fallout from it is the latest example of that.
  • james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, and Greg Dyke wants to restart the crusades Dyke's Crusade

it amazes me how someone who was deemed qualified to run a national broadcaster is equally qualified to run football governing body