Options

family tree people.......

Comments

• Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    tiacat wrote: »
    If you PM me I will have a go later when Ive attempted to sort these sheds out

pm me when you`re done :)
  • Options
    OdonataOdonata Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm stuck. I know G. grandfathers parents names, and the names of two sisters. Can't find them. I'm hopeless at this.
    I have two possibilities for G. grandfather on the indexes for 1919, two possible mothers maiden names. Neither surname has a Margaret I can find that fits.

Oh, and do marriage certificates from 1945 need to be bought? That would just confirm names.
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got the emails as well. So, will probably have another dig around during the weekend. Also, as already noted you don't need your card details for the free weekend promotions.

It's asking for mine
  • Options
    446.09375446.09375 Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1 generation back : 2 parents
    2 generations back : 4 grandparents
    3 : 8 great grandparents
    4 : 16 (the formula is clearly 2 to the power of x)
    Around 400-500 years back to the 1500s : 20 generations : 1,048,576 ancestors!

Good luck finding that lot! Consider how few generations you have to go back before the number of ancestors is greater than the number of people alive on the whole planet at that time! When you realise the implications you (hopefully) finally appreciate just how interconnected we all are, the Family of Man. It's a giant genetic ball of wool with just the last few generations cleanly able to be pulled out from the ball of interconnections beneath, as it were.

All well and good if you enjoy collecting ancestors like stamps or train numbers.... but it all seems rather pointless to me :)
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've added over 20 people to my tree today, mainly from the same branch of the family.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could anyone translate some German for me please? I have an old photo of my great grandmother, and it's got a sign in German. I can't decipher the letters, but if someone could speak it they may be able to figure it out?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gnomsie wrote: »
    Could anyone translate some German for me please? I have an old photo of my great grandmother, and it's got a sign in German. I can't decipher the letters, but if someone could speak it they may be able to figure it out?

i think jra sprachen`s the deutsche, if not i`ve got a german friend if you get stuck.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's asking for mine

ah you`re on the wrong page.

this is the one you need.

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/free-access-2015

still got till midnight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    image_zpswupzvikt.jpg

Does that link work? That's the German sign. Should have included that in the other post. I'd be eternally grateful for help translating it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    image_zpswupzvikt.jpg

Does that link work? That's the German sign. Should have included that in the other post. I'd be eternally grateful for help translating it.

i`ll send it to her now. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i`ll send it to her now. :)

Thank you so much! You've been a massive help. I think I'm gunna do the free trial tomorrow too. I am hooked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you so much! You've been a massive help. I think I'm gunna do the free trial tomorrow too. I am hooked.

my pleasure :).

it`s totally addictive, after that if i were you i`d do the other site`s free trials one by one and flog them till they scream. i`m renewing mine soon too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my pleasure :).

it`s totally addictive, after that if i were you i`d do the other site`s free trials one by one and flog them till they scream. i`m renewing mine soon too.

I had a look through your list last night and bookmarked them. This will be my plan of attack! I have more details now too, approximate deaths for both great great grandparents, and DOB of great grandmother.
    My nanna was an 'enemy alien' too, and she had to sign the register when she was a child. She still has the registration card, so she's going to dig it out for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I had a look through your list last night and bookmarked them. This will be my plan of attack! I have more details now too, approximate deaths for both great great grandparents, and DOB of great grandmother.
    My nanna was an 'enemy alien' too, and she had to sign the register when she was a child. She still has the registration card, so she's going to dig it out for me.

i have loads more links, a lot are local to the midlands, norfolk/suffolk and some oop north but i`ll see what other bookmarks i have and post a few.

i think family search have some german records, i had a couple of german people in a tree, i`ll see what else i have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have loads more links, a lot are local to the midlands, norfolk/suffolk and some oop north but i`ll see what other bookmarks i have and post a few.

i think family search have some german records, i had a couple of german people in a tree, i`ll see what else i have.

I'm concentrating around manchester currently, although my nanna said my great great grandparents both had very welsh accents. So maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. I know one died early 1950's, the other around 10 years later. They are both buried locally too, so I may go and have a look and see if I can find the grave.

I'm not holding much hope on the German side of things. My nanna isn't sure the surname was actually Abraham, and all she knows is that she was from a 'well off' family in east Berlin. She had a child in Germany in 1942, so hadn't left by then, and she was smuggle out and sent to live in an Oxford Professors basement, somewhere between 1942 and 1945. She married in Salford in December 1945.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm concentrating around manchester currently, although my nanna said my great great grandparents both had very welsh accents. So maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. I know one died early 1950's, the other around 10 years later. They are both buried locally too, so I may go and have a look and see if I can find the grave.

I'm not holding much hope on the German side of things. My nanna isn't sure the surname was actually Abraham, and all she knows is that she was from a 'well off' family in east Berlin. She had a child in Germany in 1942, so hadn't left by then, and she was smuggle out and sent to live in an Oxford Professors basement, somewhere between 1942 and 1945. She married in Salford in December 1945.

i`ll run through my northern links, i`ve probably got some welsh too, i have welsh in another tree.

for the grave, you might find it [or others] here, i don`t know if i posted it before, apologies if i did:

http://www.gravestonephotos.com/public/country.php?country=En&scrwidth=1280
  • Options
    Forum Member

ah sorry:

"first wort looks like meine - mine second maybe nette - nice but I can't understand what the last one is and doesn't make any sense"

edit: she`s asking some of her friends if they can make it out :)
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ah sorry:

"first wort looks like meine - mine second maybe nette - nice but I can't understand what the last one is and doesn't make any sense"

I don't know German, but what looks like O with its ends overlapping may be S in uppercase (s in lowercase looks like 1). One elderly client spells his name that way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ah sorry:

Thank you! And thank you to your friend too. I tried a translator but I can't work out some of the letters and got nowhere.
    I'll upload the full picture and see if it makes any more sense in context.

image_zpscyzzzpt3.jpg
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you! And thank you to your friend too. I tried a translator but I can't work out some of the letters and got nowhere.

image_zpscyzzzpt3.jpg

For what it's worth, the cone in the girl's arm is what was usually given to children on their first day of their elementary/primary school.

Edited:
    "A "Schultüte" (or School Cone, even though the word "Tüte" translates more as "bag" from German), is a paper or plastic bag in form of a big cone." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schult%C3%BCte
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vixcamp wrote: »
    The thing is with Census records, is that a man went round to the houses with a "notebook" for the information then filled in the census sheets at a later time. He could have misread what he originally wrote and so on.

That's not quite right. The enumerator left a census form at every house, and collected them a few days later. Just the same as all but the most recent census. The form was filled in by the head of the household, or a literate household member. If not, a neighbour or someone like the local clergyman or schoolmaster might help. The enumerator then copied the information on the forms into his summary book.

Sadly the original forms for all censuses before 1911 were not kept, so we can't see what was originally written by the people supplying the information - we just have the summary books. So there is a lot of scope for mistakes - copying errors, misreading of poor handwriting, and people just writing things down wrong or guessing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    For what it's worth, the cone in the girl's arm is what was usually given to children on their first day of their elementary/primary school.

Edited:
    "A "Schultüte" (or School Cone, even though the word "Tüte" translates more as "bag" from German), is a paper or plastic bag in form of a big cone." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schult%C3%BCte

Oh that makes sense! She was born in 1914 so would have been 6 in the photograph. We never knew what it was, presumed it was a toy of some sort. My nanna will find that interesting!
    We have absolutely no idea how that photograph ended up here either. She must have brought it with her, though we don't know why.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two things that I don't think have been mentioned.

If you want to get a BMD certificate, do not get it through Ancestry or other sites as they overcharge. Either order from the General Register Office in Southport
    http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content

or from the local Register Office where the event was originally registered.

And in the case of church marriages, the Parish Register contains exactly the same information as the legal marriage certificate, and these can be seen free of charge at the county archive office which holds the register. So if you can find out which church (easy if it's a village, trickier if it was in a city) you can often get a copy at minimal expense.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    the probate indexes have recently been put online........1858 to present

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member

image_zpscyzzzpt3.jpg

It say "My first Schülgang"....i think.;-)