John Sopel on The Politics Show - AWFUL!

klytamnestraklytamnestra Posts: 1,398
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This could be an engaging show but for the utterly dreadful John Sopel. I tried watching again today, but his attempts at trying to be a Paxo make the show a complete farce. He was 'interviewing' Vince Cable, but all we got was his inability to listen, refusal to allow time for answers, and constant hectoring and badgering. He has quite a feminine voice, so this is all done in a high pitched and almost hysterical manner. He cant even sit in his seat properly!He drives me nuts!:mad:

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Just saw a clip on BBC News and Vince Cable did his best to work round it but Sopel wouldn't give up. It is a useless technique for interviewing as the guest can hardly string a sentence together and get their point across.

The producers must think it's ok to keep allowing it though.

I do like it when the interviewee asks the interviewer if they would like them to answer the question. Basically they are saying shut up or the viewer will get nothing out of this!
    Apart from the smugness of the interviewer who thinks they have outclassed the interviewee.

A really bad guy for this was Tim Sebastian on Hardtalk. It was just quick fire interupting questions. I remember seeing several where if I was the guest I think I would have give him a smack in the mouth to shut him up!
  • catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This could be an engaging show but for the utterly dreadful John Sopel. I tried watching again today, but his attempts at trying to be a Paxo make the show a complete farce. He was 'interviewing' Vince Cable, but all we got was his inability to listen, refusal to allow time for answers, and constant hectoring and badgering. He has quite a feminine voice, so this is all done in a high pitched and almost hysterical manner. He cant even sit in his seat properly!He drives me nuts!:mad:

I have been saying that for months - he whines like terrible two-year old who has just lost his dummy. He is an awful interviewer and we can't bear to watch this programme because of him. :mad:
  • FangsterFangster Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Just saw a clip on BBC News and Vince Cable did his best to work round it but Sopel wouldn't give up. It is a useless technique for interviewing as the guest can hardly string a sentence together and get their point across.

It was really terrible, sometimes Vince got just three words out before Sopel shouted the next question at him!

The producers must think it's ok to keep allowing it though.

Is this really what the BBC should be doing though? I thought they had a mission to inform? (apart from the fact it makes bad TV IMHO)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't watch him, he is awful. Dreadful on BBC News channel as well.
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    JasonMason wrote: »
    I can't watch him, he is awful. Dreadful on BBC News channel as well.

John Humphreys and Jonathan Dimbleby are just two other interviewers who practice the same 'art' to their detriment.
  • stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree totally! I wondered if it was just me that dislikes his technique, but I'm glad to see I'm not alone.

He even does it with 'normal' interviewees who you'd think should be treated with more respect (such as scientists/experts who are on to provide opinion on the latest earthquake or something).

He has a very abrasive style when he's talking to anyone.
  • Mart1n0940Mart1n0940 Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    I so agree with the above. It was so embarrassingly bad I had to turn off after 5 minutes of his continual interruptions

The problem is that a lot of this type of aggressive interviewer like Paxo and John Humphreys etc. are so keen to stop the politician going off on a tangent and either (a) giving a party political broadcast or (b) rubbishing the opposition that they feel the need to constantly interrupt to keep on course. This then leads to a shouting match in which the viewer gets no information at all and just hears a god awful racket.

I preferred the Sir David Frost style but he was always accused of giving the interviewee an easy ride - perhaps there's a happy medium somewhere
  • stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the other hand (but not to detract from what has been said above)... John Sopel was I think the first person to start the "Thank you so much for your time" that they say to 'nice' guests when they've finished with them.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stu0rt wrote: »
    On the other hand (but not to detract from what has been said above)... John Sopel was I think the first person to start the "Thank you so much for your time" that they say to 'nice' guests when they've finished with them.

Charlie Stayt (BBC Breakfast) is another one who likes the sound of his own voice - asks long and repetitive questions and then when the guest starts to reply cuts him/her off sharpish.Hopefully his role in the election coverage will be a minimal one.
  • klytamnestraklytamnestra Posts: 1,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mart1n0940 wrote: »
    I so agree with the above. It was so embarrassingly bad I had to turn off after 5 minutes of his continual interruptions

The problem is that a lot of this type of aggressive interviewer like Paxo and John Humphreys etc. are so keen to stop the politician going off on a tangent and either (a) giving a party political broadcast or (b) rubbishing the opposition that they feel the need to constantly interrupt to keep on course. This then leads to a shouting match in which the viewer gets no information at all and just hears a god awful racket.

I preferred the Sir David Frost style but he was always accused of giving the interviewee an easy ride - perhaps there's a happy medium somewhere

I think the imminent Leaders Debates promise to be the most sanitised and controlled form of political questioning ever!!!!:D
    Forum Member
    Mart1n0940 wrote: »

I agree that you have to find a balance. Some say that Dimbleby is pretty weak on QT but I think he does ok in reigning the polititans in without turning it in to a circus.

Probably trying to avoid scenes like this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2i6wTmhESk#t=2m10s
  • OldvinylOldvinyl Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I agree with first post. I did not see this particular Sopel interview, but the times I have happened to chance on him, he does appear to be too hyper-active, almost to the point of mental instability.
  • tellyadicttellyadict Posts: 4,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like him on The Campaign Show but did not see the Cable interview.

He was ok with Hague though.
  • gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
    Forum Member
    I am utterly, honestly, amazed. Sopel just had on that IDIOT snake oil saleswoman 'body language expert' (who normally turns up to dazzle the twits on Big Brother) to talk about the election! She was waffling on about 'technical terms' like the 'tongue out' position. CRAP! I mean, do they employ anyone on these programmes who's done a degreee and knows what a pile of crap this idiot comes out with?? UNBELIEVEABLE!
    Forum Member
    gkmacca wrote: »
    I am utterly, honestly, amazed. Sopel just had on that IDIOT snake oil saleswoman 'body language expert' (who normally turns up to dazzle the twits on Big Brother) to talk about the election! She was waffling on about 'technical terms' like the 'tongue out' position. CRAP! I mean, do they employ anyone on these programmes who's done a degreee and knows what a pile of crap this idiot comes out with?? UNBELIEVEABLE!
    To be fair, Sky also had an "expert" earlier waffling about the difference between palms or back of had showing and how antagonistic it comes across :rolleyes: