Can I use 2 routers with Virgin?

glasgow67glasgow67 Posts: 6,274
Forum Member
I find using wired internet is better for the PS3 but I have 2 PS3's and cant play online in my room because it cuts out too much as its too far from the wireless router.

Was wondering if I can use another router in my room? I have 2 from Virgin anyway, just wondering if anyone knows as I had to phone up and verify my Superhub before it works so I take it your only allowed 1 router?

I used to have BT and had 2 routers and it was fine but you dont have to verify routers with BT.

Comments

• Christian_ClarkChristian_Clark Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    The superhub is 3 devices in one, a modem, router and wireless access point.

You can't have two superhubs or have any other connection to virgins network without having a second broadband subscription. So if you have two superhubs you can't activate that on one broadband account.

If your second wireless router does not have a built in modem, (ie, it has an ethernet port for connecting to the internet). Then you can disable the "router" part of it, and turn it into a wireless access point only, and connect it to one of the ethernet ports on the superhub.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    If your second wireless router does not have a built in modem, (ie, it has an ethernet port for connecting to the internet). Then you can disable the "router" part of it, and turn it into a wireless access point only, and connect it to one of the ethernet ports on the superhub.
    Just a quick correction: ANY router with built-in WiFi can turned into a Wireless Access Point.

If it DOESN'T have a built-in modem, the way to avoid the router function is to use one of its LAN ports for the upstream connection. That is to say DO NOT use the WAN port or you will have two routers on your network..

In both cases you will need to disable the DHCP server in the second router.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Just a quick correction: ANY router with built-in WiFi can turned into a Wireless Access Point.

If it DOESN'T have a built-in modem, the way to avoid the router function is to use one of its LAN ports for the upstream connection. That is to say DO NOT use the WAN port or you will have two routers on your network..

In both cases you will need to disable the DHCP server in the second router.

that is simply not true.

it will work in many cases. there are plenty of modem/routers that wont let you disable dhcp and that will not work as a switch, will not allow you to use the lan ports as client side, and finally will not allow you to use the wifi as you describe.
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    that is simply not true.

it will work in many cases. there are plenty of modem/routers that wont let you disable dhcp and that will not work as a switch, will not allow you to use the lan ports as client side, and finally will not allow you to use the wifi as you describe.
    OK let me refine my answer. Over umpteen years in the business, I have NEVER come across a domestic router on which you cannot disable DHCP. This experience has led me to believe that there is no such thing. (Perhaps a list of those that do not allow it be helpful.)

I have used domestic routers many times as both switches and/or Wireless Access Points. I have two redundant domestic routers at home that are currently doing both jobs.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    OK let me refine my answer. Over umpteen years in the business, I have NEVER come across a domestic router on which you cannot disable DHCP. This experience has led me to believe that there is no such thing. (Perhaps a list of those that do not allow it be helpful.)

I have used domestic routers many times as both switches and/or Wireless Access Points. I have two redundant domestic routers at home that are currently doing both jobs.

What does it mean when you put a word in CAPITALS? because when you corrected someone by saying 'Just a quick correction: ANY router with built-in WiFi can turned into a Wireless Access Point.' I thought you were emphasising the word ANY. which is why i thought you were wrong.

I'm now confused as to what you mean by 'I have NEVER come across a domestic router....' does NEVER mean the same thing as 'never'?

there's a whole load of ISP supplied routers that wont do what you're suggesting.
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    there's a whole load of ISP supplied routers that wont do what you're suggesting.
    Without going into my posting style. I have not come across any ISP supplied router that one can't switch the DHCP server off either.

BTW I have PM's you.
  • terry66532terry66532 Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No please carry on here guys *brings out popcorn*
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    There is at least one model of Orange livebox that allows you to disable DHCP, but it won't stay dead! Power cycle or reboot the box, and DHCP is active again, even when you've saved the "disable DHCP" option. Drove me mad until I was able to replace the box.
    Forum Member
    SteveMcK wrote: »
    There is at least one model of Orange livebox that allows you to disable DHCP, but it won't stay dead! Power cycle or reboot the box, and DHCP is active again, even when you've saved the "disable DHCP" option. Drove me mad until I was able to replace the box.
    Thank you for that. It is useful to know.