Options

Claudia Winkleman's daughter rushed to hospital after Halloween fire horror

Comments

• Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Even if they did what makes you think it was anyones business except the childs family

You missed the point, because of the vague announcement, some people people on here criticised Claudia for "baling out" and probably some of the 9,000,000 viewers, would have had the same impression. No details needed to be revealed, "accident" would have covered it.
    Still "each to their own."
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You missed the point, because of the vague announcement, some people people on here criticised Claudia for "baling out" and probably some of the 9,000,000 viewers, would have had the same impression. No details needed to be revealed, "accident" would have covered it.
    Still "each to their own."

As I posted earlier, I'm still struggling to understand why 'accident' is acceptable and 'ill' isn't.
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awful news hope she makes a full and quick recovery.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muggsy wrote: »
    As I posted earlier, I'm still struggling to understand why 'accident' is acceptable and 'ill' isn't.

Because "ill" could signify "something not too serious" and insufficient reason for baling out.
    Remember, she baled out of ITT, to spend more time with her children.
    I've no problem with that, but it could lead to an impression by some that she was over-protective.

You are welcome to your opinion, so perhaps you can leave me with mine?
  • Options
    mirandawebmirandaweb Posts: 3,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor little girl. I hope they aren't too serious and that she recovers quickly. I imagine there will be scarring to contend with, but I think they can help reduce that in kids with compression garments. At least, that's what they gave my friend's little girl when she caught fire after brushing against one of those portable gas heaters at a similar age.

And yes, I knew it would almost certainly be something involving hospital if Claudia wasn't doing the show.

Poor show on those who ridiculed her for not being on Strictly (especially those who suggested a man wouldn't have missed it). Anyone would miss it in this situation.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You really believe the producers didn't know the extent of the problem which was why Claudia wanted to be excused from co-presenting, "the biggest show in television?"

I would ask whether it is up to the BBC to give out what is in effect confidential information regarding a child IF the person or parent concerned had not given permission to do so or IF the BBC was unsure as to what information could be given out. After all, no-one outside of the family or the BBC has any right to that information without permission from the parent.

To me, it feels a shame that some seem to want to use the circumstances around the announcement to "have a go" at the BBC.
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the best Claudia. I am sure it will help to have so many people wishing for the speedy recovery of your treasured little girl.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    I would ask whether it is up to the BBC to give out what is in effect cinfidential information regarding a child IF the person or parent concerned had not given permission to do so or IF the BBC was unsure as to what information could be given out. After all, no-one outside of the family or the BBC has any right to that information without permission from the parent.

To me, it feels a shame that some seem to want to use the circumstances around the announcement to "have a go" at the BBC.

Quite!

No one knows the circumstances. So it's pointless to continue swopping opinions.
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because "ill" could signify "something not too serious" and insufficient reason for baling out.

'Accident' could also signify a grazed knee and 'illness' could signify something potentially life threatening like meningitis or septicaemia .
    Remember, she baled out of ITT, to spend more time with her children.
    I've no problem with that, but it could lead to an impression by some that she was over-protective.

You are welcome to your opinion, so perhaps you can leave me with mine?

Given your choice of words again, I think it's probably better if I do indeed leave you with your opinions.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the best Claudia. I am sure it will help to have so many people wishing for the speedy recovery of your treasured little girl.

Yes, count me in on those thoughts
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not that I want to be dragged into the announcement debate but maybe simply:

"Due to a family incident Claudia is unable to make it tonight. Our thoughts and love go to Claudia and her family."

The use of the word 'unwell' is arguably too specific and resulted in the complaints which plagued the forum on Saturday.

But at the end of the day it was a horrible situation for the BBC to be in and the last thing they would want to ask Claudia is 'how would your like you absence explained?'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muggsy wrote: »
    'Accident' could also signify a grazed knee and 'illness' could signify something potentially life threatening like meningitis or septicaemia .

Given your choice of words again, I think it's probably better if I do indeed leave you with your opinions.

Hmm..

You could have done that in the first place couldn't you?

You seem to have a bit of a problem with those whose opinions differ from your own.
  • Options
    Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor little bugger. I hope it's not too serious and her stay in hospital is short. Claudia and her family will get a lot of support and love from the Strictly team -- they seem a tight-knit caring crowd -- but what a scary time for them all
  • Options
    spotty_catspotty_cat Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course we all wish her daughter a speedy recovery but I think that the BBC should have just said 'Claudia is unable to be here tonight'. The reasons for her absence are irrelevant to the general public.
  • Options
    coppertop1coppertop1 Posts: 4,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    I would ask whether it is up to the BBC to give out what is in effect confidential information regarding a child IF the person or parent concerned had not given permission to do so or IF the BBC was unsure as to what information could be given out. After all, no-one outside of the family or the BBC has any right to that information without permission from the parent.

I knew exactly what you meant, very sensibly put
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't and never did believe that an ordinary illness would have kept Claudia from her job.

I was worried about meningitis or something equally horribly serious. I am not surprised that it was a serious accident either, and I hope very much that the child recovers completely and the family cope well.

I hope the child isn't scarred.:(
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish the child the very best and them all strength to cope ,
    Well done to Tess and Zoe for carrying the show when I am sure they were heartbroken for Claudia
  • Options
    WinsomeWinsome Posts: 12,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope that Matilda recovers quickly, and that Claudia and her family are coping ok.
  • Options
    tobykimtobykim Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Top and bottom of it is that it's none of our business
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the BBC handled it perfectly and knew it must have been something serious, which is why I didn't take part in any discussion on the subject. Claudia won't be reading these posts, but I do hope the little girl isn't too badly hurt.
  • Options
    amelia_leeamelia_lee Posts: 11,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guessed it would be something serious as she missed the show and I also thought that it may not be told how serious it was to give them some privacy.

Poor little Matilda, I hope she gets better very soon. I hate fireworks and pumpkin candles and sparklers, it's so dangerous yet it's very blasé in how children are allowed to be around them.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the Film programme still on at the moment?

Who's likely to cover if it gets to that point?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes we believe we 'own' celebrities and TV personalities because they come into our homes but of course we don't. When it comes to their families, everything else is forgotten because in reality they are just doing a job, like you and me. They have the same priorities that most of us have and children tend to come infinitely higher than sensitive fans or critics.

Like everyone else my thoughts and best wishes go to Claudia and all her family.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, that's how it might have come across to many, because of the way the BBC announced it. The reaction from some might be, "Kid's get ill all the time, get her dad to look after her, "The show must go on."

Call me cynical, but if the BBC had said "She wouldn't be appearing because one of her children has had an accident." That would have respected their privacy and prevented any criticism.

But I think that's typical of the BBC, to attempt to "play it down a bit for the sake of the show."

I think any mention of an accident would get the press wanting to know more and with the way they work, they want someone to blame.

'Unwell' will not produce as much attention from the press.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's an opinion, mine is that the BBC didn't want the audience or the viewers to be distracted from the show. If saying the child was just, "ill" reflected badly on Claudia, they didn't seem to care.
    As I said the use of the word "accident" instead of "ill" would have meant less criticism on here.

Could have been agreed with her what would be said.