Options

TFI Friday Special - C4, 12/06 9PM

stewartuustewartuu Posts: 334
Forum Member
A 90-minute special episode of TFI Friday is going out on 12th June at 9PM, with a mix of retrospective content and 'new features'.

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/channel-4-confirms-details-of-tfi-friday-one-off-l/377883

Hmm. I used to like this a lot at the time, but am unsure of how its energy will translate today; no reason why it couldn't still be entertaining, but this was very much a product of the era, for both viewers and C4. We shall see! Certainly intrigued by this as a one-off, and will most definitely give it a go.

Comments

• Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back by no popular demand whatsoever.......
  • Options
    Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    I thought the first two or three episodes were great, but then it quickly became kind of samey.

I hope they don't drag up Will, to appear on it again.
  • Options
    dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Lets hope Murs ISNT on the show! I want someone talented singing.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,626
    Forum Member
    Lets hope Murs ISNT on the show! I want someone talented singing.

Could be worse could have Shaun Ryder on swearing, but as its being aired past the watershed so C4 won't be in much trouble.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Could be worse could have Shaun Ryder on swearing, but as its being aired past the watershed so C4 won't be in much trouble.:D

Whats so bad about that? Everyone swears these days especially Ewan McGreggor.
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    They must get Shaun Ryder on, he played an integral part in the show's history.

And yes, Will is on it too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Also, didnt they have a 'joke letter', supposedly from the same person every week (in the same vein as 'Mrs Trellis from North Wales') or did I imagine that?
  • Options
    DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stewartuu wrote: »

Hmm. I used to like this a lot at the time, but am unsure of how its energy will translate today; no reason why it couldn't still be entertaining, but this was very much a product of the era, for both viewers and C4.

I agree, for Evans too. He seems much changed from his 90s persona. More mellow and family friendly. In the TFI days he was more laddish and anarchic (as evidenced by his spats with the BBC over his Radio 1 show).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    They must get Shaun Ryder on, he played an integral part in the show's history.

And yes, Will is on it too.

Is that episode on youtube at all?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not the full ep, but the performance:

http://youtu.be/WyacZq8ulcA
  • Options
    zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone remember his OFI Sunday on ITV during the mid 00s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udQYgtMKCmA
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,626
    Forum Member
    Whats so bad about that? Everyone swears these days especially Ewan McGreggor.

Last time Shaun Ryder was on TFI circa 1997/98, it was aired live at 6pm Friday tea time, & he was effing & blinding ad nauseum.:o:D
  • Options
    zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last time Shaun Ryder was on TFI circa 1997/98, it was aired live at 6pm Friday tea time, & he was effing & blinding ad nauseum.:o:D

I don't know if it still applies but certainly at the time, he was banned from appearing on any LIVE Channel 4 programme due to his little outbursts.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brit Pop Telly!

Next we'll learn Blur are back in the charts and the Gallagher brothers are mouthing off at each other....oh wait! :D
  • Options
    stewartuustewartuu Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    Davonator wrote: »
    I agree, for Evans too. He seems much changed from his 90s persona. More mellow and family friendly. In the TFI days he was more laddish and anarchic (as evidenced by his spats with the BBC over his Radio 1 show).

I agree; how it's pitched is going to be important, especially if this gets eyed up for any kind of series as I suspect C4 are touting with this. I'm sure the 9PM slot will allow him more freedom; he always strikes me as very restricted whenever I see him on things like The One Show, to the point of being a hindrance to the format and his co-host (which is no mean feat in itself!)
    Anyone remember his OFI Sunday on ITV during the mid 00s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udQYgtMKCmA

I have some vague memories of it but they're not positive, and indeed it was promptly forgotten by ITV - I can't have watched more than a couple of episodes. This special can only be better than that...!

Hearing of this news has had me once again waxing nostalgic for C4 of old and how fun teatimes used to be over there - TFI Friday, The Crystal Maze, and I've just dipped into GamesMaster again, which was marvellous and equally emblematic of the period... Sigh. :) Shame it's so throwaway and static these days in comparison.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I agree; how it's pitched is going to be important, especially if this gets eyed up for any kind of series as I suspect C4 are touting with this. I'm sure the 9PM slot will allow him more freedom; he always strikes me as very restricted whenever I see him on things like The One Show, to the point of being a hindrance to the format and his co-host (which is no mean feat in itself!)

I have some vague memories of it but they're not positive, and indeed it was promptly forgotten by ITV - I can't have watched more than a couple of episodes. This special can only be better than that...!

Hearing of this news has had me once again waxing nostalgic for C4 of old and how fun teatimes used to be over there - TFI Friday, The Crystal Maze, and I've just dipped into GamesMaster again, which was marvellous and equally emblematic of the period... Sigh. :) Shame it's so throwaway and static these days in comparison.
    I think he's a breath of fresh air on TOS as he's more free flowing and not robotic like the regular two. He also knows how to interview people where the other two are basically following the format/formula. He's far more engaging.

As for being a hinderance, i've always wondered if he does it as a laugh to get Jones to slip up or it's a slight vindictive streak because he thinks she's useless so throws thing out there to see how she handles it.

As for OFI Sunday, I believe Billie Piper was the first guest.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't say the problem will be Chris.. I think the problem will be the guests.

Back when TFI originally aired we were in the middle of the whole mid/late 90s "brit pop" type era where there were many British celebrities who were a bit edgey and probably mostly on drugs so they were pretty entertaining to watch. And most of them were in that age range where they were still young(ish) and still up for a laugh. It was a unique time. Plus it was also still cool to swear on TV.

List here: http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist//Channel4/2004/01/01/T010104000000002/

Fast forward to 2015 and you really won't get anything like that now. For a start there aren't as many "cool" people to pick from. Most of them grew up and they weren't really replaced. And anyone who does appear will be on their best behaviour and any acting up will just feel staged and just weird.

I'm having visions of people like Russell Brand, Jimmy Carr, Kirsty & Phil and others appearing and it will all feel rather tragic.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Having had a quick look at some of that guest list, I see reams of non 'edgy' or only edgy in the sense that it's 6 pm not 9 pm.
    Some faces you don't see any more, well I don't, as chat shows aren't my thing anymore.
    Julia Carling, where's she gone to, fair few footballers on there Merson Stuart Pearce, David Seaman, etc.

I think a lot of this is down the energy of Evans, atmosphere of the place, script etc, I think that gave it more of it's edgy feel than the guests themselves.

I'm really out of the loop to be honest, bunch of middle aged old giffers reliving their youth, probably the best way to think about this.
    Is a special going to appeal to those in their late teenage/20's/30's now?
    Now, who of Evan's age now, would have presented this to 'us' (many now middle aged) punters back then, it's nearly 20 years ago now.
  • Options
    Futurama-FanFuturama-Fan Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I totally agree with you about all these shows so I'm guessing we are of the same generation. The thing is I bet you that back in the mid & late 90's, during the heyday of TGI Friday & Gamesmaster, all the then 30-40 year olds were all say 'its a shame the programmes we loved in our teens and ealy 20's are no longer on the air, this Gamesmaster and TGI Friday stuff is all so throwaway'.

Even more scary is that the teens and early 20's of today in 10-15 years time will be get all nostalgic for the Jersey Shore & Only Way is Essex one-off reunion shows!
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    TFI could be amusing at times, but there again Danny Baker wrote most of it.

As long as that Toothbrush sh*te is not brought back.
  • Options
    CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    Also, didnt they have a 'joke letter', supposedly from the same person every week (in the same vein as 'Mrs Trellis from North Wales') or did I imagine that?

I think she's a regular correspondent to "I'm sorry I haven't a clue " on radio 4
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing as Shaun Ryder is touring at the moment, I think it would be perfect timing to have him on. He's a lot more mellow these days.
  • Options
    Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CherylFan wrote: »
    I think she's a regular correspondent to "I'm sorry I haven't a clue " on radio 4

I'm sure they're aware, hence the words, 'in the same vain as'.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I'm sure they're aware, hence the words, 'in the same vain as'.

As well, as long some of you get these references, that's OK then.
  • Options
    mediaratmediarat Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    as it was part of my yoof, i loved this show, but i can't imagine it will feel the same watching after putting kids to bed as it was pre and post pub!