Comments

• Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can understand pros wanting a winner, but they need to take it with good humour when they get a celebrity who is clearly not going to win. Some are better than others. At that though. As you say based on the paper it's probably not fully based in reality.
  • Options
    Ellie1967Ellie1967 Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe Fern said all the quotes as she's said most of it before - perhaps not with the venom that the DM have attached to them, but surely she's media savvy enough to know the spin they would put on it. The stuff about pushing her round the dance floor and 'stand here I'll dance round you' is what most of the female pros do every week anyway :D. I never bought all their cuddliness on ITT with the flowers and 'you've made me a better man' anyway, and they don't seem to have had any contact since the tour ended, so it's not really a shock that they didn't become best friends.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When two massive egos are put together, its not surprising they clashed.
    Not keen on either of them and certainly don't miss seeing them on television.
  • Options
    mammacassimammacassi Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    No surprise there then, not a fan of either.
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellie1967 wrote: »
    I believe Fern said all the quotes as she's said most of it before - perhaps not with the venom that the DM have attached to them, but surely she's media savvy enough to know the spin they would put on it. The stuff about pushing her round the dance floor and 'stand here I'll dance round you' is what most of the female pros do every week anyway :D. I never bought all their cuddliness on ITT with the flowers and 'you've made me a better man' anyway, and they don't seem to have had any contact since the tour ended, so it's not really a shock that they didn't become best friends.

That's the difference between her and Holly - Holly was more than happy to sit on a chair :D
  • Options
    Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    Yes I found her reaction to Artem on ITT interesting when he gushed about how she had changed his life, she asked him "in what way" and he looked a bit stunned as he sat on the sofa with her with his huge bunch of flowers ( given to him I am sure by a producer). What tosh, I am sure a lot of the pro dancers hate the celebs, they are getting tons loads of money, compared to the pro dancer who is killing himself/herself trying to made the celeb look good. Good for Fern for telling the truth, I do get sick of all the fawning and how they all just love each other and how SCD is the best decision of their lives!!!!!! Never believed it. I am sure Artem can be a real diva when he is not getting his way. Must agree think he is all muscle and teeth, cannot understand why so many woman adore him. I am sure he is hell to live with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ellie1967 wrote: »

I wonder how many celebs actually keep in touch with their pro dancer partners and how many "KEEP ON DANCING" to quote Brucie. Actually to be fair to Fern, she is not the first celeb partner to complain about her time on Strictly. I remember Linda Bellingham saying on Loose Women she hated every minute and was glad she was voted off the show early. AND that the pro dancers took the whole show much too seriously. I cannot remember who her partner was on SCD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AND Fiona Phillips hated it too, hope I got her name right, she was a TV presenter on ITV, been gone for ages now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many celebs actually keep in touch with their pro dancer partners and how many "KEEP ON DANCING" to quote Brucie. Actually to be fair to Fern, she is not the first celeb partner to complain about her time on Strictly. I remember Linda Bellingham saying on Loose Women she hated every minute and was glad she was voted off the show early. AND that the pro dancers took the whole show much too seriously. I cannot remember who her partner was on SCD.

Darren Bennett.
  • Options
    TootsieLouTootsieLou Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Artem has had six celeb partners and only one who three years down the road is still whining and moaning,says it all,he can't be that bad.That woman needs to stop complaining
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TootsieLou wrote: »
    Artem has had six celeb partners and only one who three years down the road is still whining and moaning,says it all,he can't be that bad.That woman needs to stop complaining

I don't know about America but over here he had three good, young dancers. That might be the reason they had a better experience.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TootsieLou wrote: »

To be fair, Kara wouldn't be likely to say he was vile to her, and Holly probably couldn't summon up the energy to give a toss. I've forgotten Artem's other partners apart from Natalie - who were the others?
  • Options
    TootsieLouTootsieLou Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was including Lea and Patti one who was 56 and the other 70,When I was dancing I had some partners I didn't care for,but would never have thought to make public how I felt about them at the time or three years afterwards,also I worked with some celebs that would smile sweetly at you in the face then turn round and backstab you to management without missing a beat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    Aliona gets a lot of stick for her lack of enthusiasm on the launch shows but I know someone who knows several celeb who have appeared on Strictly and Aliona is one of the nicer ones backstage. For various reasons none of the female pros last year wanted Gregg. Yes Gregg, Aliona may not have been the gushing, grinning pussycat you wanted but that might have been something to do with your free-swinging bollocks, sleazy comments and diva demands.

I remember Miriam Margolyes saying of her experience of working with Arnold Schwarzenegger, 'He didn't find me attractive so he didn't think I mattered and I hate that attitude.' Unfortunately, a lot of men only think it is worth being nice to a woman if she is deemed attractive. If a woman is plain or past it then, to them, she is either invisible, not worth the effort, or a figure of contempt. Of course Artem will play nice on DWTS because that show is the holy grail for some of the pros and the celebs there are seen as stars just because they are American.

From what I have heard, if you are female and going on the show, you'd want Pasha for sheer professionalism and Aljaz for patience and loveliness. It would be interesting to see how Pasha copes with an older duffer. The celeb my friend knew on last year's show didn't really get to know Tristan but he does come across as having the right attitude too. It would be interesting to see more of him on the show to see if this is right.
  • Options
    jiroosjiroos Posts: 15,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't even know why this is considered news - especially after three years!. It was clear as day to me during the show that he could not stand her. He made zero attempt to hide the fact.

I feel a bit sorry for Fern being lumbered with him. She should have been partnered with Anton and got the best of both worlds - no chance at all of winning but having a fun experience at the same time. Just ask Kate Garraway...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jiroos wrote: »
    I don't even know why this is considered news - especially after three years!. It was clear as day to me during the show that he could not stand her. He made zero attempt to hide the fact.

I feel a bit sorry for Fern being lumbered with him. She should have been partnered with Anton and got the best of both worlds - no chance at all of winning but having a fun experience at the same time. Just ask Kate Garraway...

Yes, Anton has said more than once that he took competing and he takes his tours very seriously and can be quite a stroppy perfectionist but he realised long ago that Strictly is just an entertainment show and is meant to be about having fun.

My backstage report on Anton is that he seems very nice, is a good sport, but you never feel you get to really know him. He gets on well with most of his partners even though he's had to cope with one or two of the most difficult personalities who've ever appeared on the show. Obviously Laila Rouass might disagree.
  • Options
    memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aliona gets a lot of stick for her lack of enthusiasm on the launch shows but I know someone who knows several celeb who have appeared on Strictly and Aliona is one of the nicer ones backstage. For various reasons none of the female pros last year wanted Gregg. Yes Gregg, Aliona may not have been the gushing, grinning pussycat you wanted but that might have been something to do with your free-swinging bollocks, sleazy comments and diva demands.

I remember Miriam Margolyes saying of her experience of working with Arnold Schwarzenegger, 'He didn't find me attractive so he didn't think I mattered and I hate that attitude.' Unfortunately, a lot of men only think it is worth being nice to a woman if she is deemed attractive. If a woman is plain or past it then, to them, she is either invisible, not worth the effort, or a figure of contempt. Of course Artem will play nice on DWTS because that show is the holy grail for some of the pros and the celebs there are seen as stars just because they are American.

From what I have heard, if you are female and going on the show, you'd want Pasha for sheer professionalism and Aljaz for patience and loveliness. It would be interesting to see how Pasha copes with an older duffer. The celeb my friend knew on last year's show didn't really get to know Tristan but he does come across as having the right attitude too. It would be interesting to see more of him on the show to see if this is right.
    BIB^^^ Tristan always got older celebs on DWTS, including Valerie Harper, who had been diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. He seemed very supportive of his celebs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, but Fern had to some extent scuppered herself by doing an OK jive in the Christmas Special so she was already in the 'not a complete duffer' class - and Anton was steering Jerry Hall round that year.

I do think you get a better picture of the pros when they get a less able celeb. It's easy to be all sunny and bright when you have the ringer or peoples favourite.

I also wonder if the score and comments of the Christmas Special for Fern gave her a false expectation. We know that the judges are generally a couple of Egg-Nogs to the good and will give any old tut a 6, but if a celeb has spent a couple of weeks having a bit of a lark and gets over 30 and then comes on the main show, with all the work that entails, and can't match that score it must be a bit maddening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, Anton has said more than once that he took competing and he takes his tours very seriously and can be quite a stroppy perfectionist but he realised long ago that Strictly is just an entertainment show and is meant to be about having fun.

My backstage report on Anton is that he seems very nice, is a good sport, but you never feel you get to really know him. He gets on well with most of his partners even though he's had to cope with one or two of the most difficult personalities who've ever appeared on the show. Obviously Laila Rouass might disagree.

I remember during the John Sargent fall out, Anton was on ITT and said that he realised in series one when Lesley went out to a young lad who ran around with a cape that often the better dancer loses out and he always remembers that.
  • Options
    jiroosjiroos Posts: 15,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    Yes, but Fern had to some extent scuppered herself by doing an OK jive in the Christmas Special so she was already in the 'not a complete duffer' class - and Anton was steering Jerry Hall round that year.

I do think you get a better picture of the pros when they get a less able celeb. It's easy to be all sunny and bright when you have the ringer or peoples favourite.

I also wonder if the score and comments of the Christmas Special for Fern gave her a false expectation. We know that the judges are generally a couple of Egg-Nogs to the good and will give any old tut a 6, but if a celeb has spent a couple of weeks having a bit of a lark and gets over 30 and then comes on the main show, with all the work that entails, and can't match that score it must be a bit maddening.

BIB - precisely..."an OK jive" with the much more patient Matthew Cutler.

This further proves my point that Fern's negative experience on and memory of the show was mainly down to being partnered with Artem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB - precisely..."an OK jive" with the much more patient Matthew Cutler.

This further proves my point that Fern's negative experience on and memory of the show was mainly down to being partnered with Artem.

Yes, it was an OK jive in the context of a Christmas Special where you basically get a 6 even from Craig just for turning up, Bobby Ball and Su Pollard both (I think) got at least 6's for goodness sake!

I think training for the Christmas Special is a bit like an end of term jolly. The only thing that really happened is that she proved she could move a bit too well for Anton.
  • Options
    DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    I don't know about America but over here he had three good, young dancers. That might be the reason they had a better experience.
    To be fair, Kara wouldn't be likely to say he was vile to her, and Holly probably couldn't summon up the energy to give a toss. I've forgotten Artem's other partners apart from Natalie - who were the others?

On DWTS Artem's had Lea Thompson, who, whilst not a duffer due to her ballet training during her 20s, was in her mid 50s at the time, and though started strongly, petered out towards the end and was eliminated in the semi finals. She was best likened to Pamela Stephenson on the English version.

He then had Patti LaBelle, mid 70s, the sort of contestant Anton gets on SCD, and he had an absolute whale of a time. I mean, her dancing was naff, but her salsa and Jazz with a complete duffer were great fun, and Artem looked like he was also having fun. I reckon Fern may be telling the truth that he was grumpy and a bit rough, but I doubt entirely he was the venomous beast the Daily Fail are painting him as...
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My impression was Artem was really miffed to get Fern and didn't hide it from her in the training room - even on camera. That would have gone down like a lead balloon with Fern not least because she would think it unprofessional, but especially if she was giving it her all. Plus she has a reputation (justified) of being popular with men and a great flirt. From all accounts she had a ball on the tour, not dancing with Artem.

If people can remember back to Artem's early days on ITT, he sat there hardly saying a word and looking like he just couldn't be bothered. Several years down the line, I think that impression was right. He's a very good looking guy and a great dancer, but his ego or arrogance, call it what ever you like is his downfall as far as I'm concerned. It also seems to me that his own ambitions are the priority in any relationship I've seen him in. Might be doing the guy down, but that's my impression.

Re Lynda Bellingham. I think the main reason she hated her time on the show was because she was so uncomfortable with her body. We now know what a faff the less than slender female celebs go through with their costumes, wearing several layers to pull it all in and I think Lynda found that hard to take with so many fit pros around her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yep, Artem did always come across as a bit above it all. Strictly is camp and silly and fun and you need to be able to laugh at yourself and be good-humoured. If you want to be smouldering and artistic all the time then it's probably not the show for you. I'm glad Aljaz got to be a bit silly last year. Pasha, as we all know, will wear any wacky costume going. Kristina got the show in her very first year. Natalie got it when she started to get duffers. I'm sad Trent got sidelined because I think he got the silliness too.

What do people reckon about Gleb? Quite often the new pros prove me wrong. I think I'm not going to like them and I end up adoring them. On the plus side Gleb is very good-looking and averse to wearing clothes but he does seem quite serious and self-regarding. If he slouches on the sofa on his first ITT and insists on putting his interpretation of La Fille Mal Gardée into a Charleston to When I'm Cleaning Windows then we'll know we've got a bad 'un.
  • Options
    fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From all accounts she had a ball on the tour, not dancing with Artem.

But she did dance with Artem on the tour, didn't she?:confused: