What are the worst Oscars injustices?

Comments

• TankyTanky Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think one of the biggest injustice was back in 2013 and even to this day, that both the Academy Awards and the film industry, fail to recognise the hard work and effort put in by the visual effects artists to make films like Life of Pi possible. Back in 2013, the award for best visual effects, went to Life of Pi, and the studio involved in making the CG work possible, upon winning the award, filed for bankruptcy.

At the awards ceremony, the acceptance speech of Bill Westenhofer, accepting the award on behalf of Rhythm and Hues, was prematurely cut off as he tries to shine a light on the company's financial troubles and the hardships that his fellow colleges were to face, in losing their jobs. His speech was hurried along with the Jaws theme tune and his mic was cut off before he could finish his speech.

Here's the speech-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH5Pc8Gd1lo

Rhythm and Hues, made a short documentary of what happen to their studio and why they went bankrupt, here's a short trailer-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b6nBcjp_4w

If you want to watch the entire documentary, for those interested, here it is and it's free-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lcB9u-9mVE
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I don't think of it as an injustice perhaps, but considering what Harrison Ford has done for cinema over the last 30 years or so, it's a shame he has never won anything. He came close with a nomination for Witness.

I'd like to see him recognised with the Lifetime Achievement award, maybe after his next turn as Han Solo in Star Wars 7
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most of the greatest directors of all time were snubbed.

Served them right for making films in their own language rather than in (American) English.
  • jiroosjiroos Posts: 15,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Obviously there are the usual suspects who should of won but never did and it leaves a stain on the Academy Awards to this day:

Charlie Chaplin
    Peter O'Toole
    Alfred Hitchcock
    Stanley Kubrick

Can I add Angela Lansbury, Kirk Douglas and Lauren Bacall to that shameful list?

Others:

General
    - Kevin Bacon remaining Oscar-less to this very day despite a plethora of worthy performances, particularly Murder in the First and The Woodsman.
    - Glenn Close - as already mentioned.

Picture
    - The masterful Citizen Kane losing to the dreadful How Green Was My Valley?

Picture - Total Shut Outs
    - The Color Purple - O wins from 11 nominations (an embarrassing all-time record - shared with 1977s The Turning Point)
    - The Shawshank Redemption - 0 wins from 8 nominations

Actor
    - Danny Glover snubbed for The Color Purple
    - Ray Liotta snubbed for Goodfellas
    - Leo Di Caprio and Chiwetel Ejiofor losing out to Matthew McConaughey who was wonderful but that physical transformation did go a long way. Shame it didn't work for Bacon in MitF nearly twenty years earlier (see above)

Actress

- Whoopi Goldberg not winning for The Color Purple
    - Imelda Staunton not winning for Vera Drake
    - Julianne Moore not winning for Far From Heaven and having to wait until last year for her first victory
    - Angela Bassett not winning for What's Love Got To Do With It?
    - Ellen Burstyn (Requiem For A Dream) beaten out by that year's 'darling' Julia Roberts (Erin Brockovich)
    - Madonna snubbed for Evita
    - Cate Blanchett (Elizabeth) beaten out by that puke-inducing performance by Gwynnie in Shakespeare in Love

Supporting Actor
    Sean Penn snubbed for Carlito's Way
    Jim Broadbent snubbed for Moulin Rouge!

Supporting Actress
    - Margaret Hamilton snubbed for her iconic Wicked Witch of the West in The Wizard of Oz
    - Marisa Tomei (In The Bedroom) losing out to the overrated Jennifer Connelly (A Beautiful Mind). Also not winning for the Wrestler. I suppose some would say karma is at work here following Tomei's surprise victory for My Cousin Vinny.

Director
    - Steven Spielberg having to wait 16 years from his first nomination for victory
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I can't remember Arnie winning one. Nuff said
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    naquada wrote: »
    For me they get best Picture wrong all the time.

2015 - American Sniper, Boyhood, The Imitation Game, Theory of Everything better than Birdman

2014 - American Hustle, Dallas Buyers Club, The Wolf of Wall Street, Captain Phillips better than 12 Years a Slave.

2011 - Inception Better than The Kings Speech

2003 - Gangs of New York better than Chicago

2000 - The Sixth Sense, The Green Mile and The Cider house Rules better than American Beauty

1999 - Saving Private Ryan better than Shakespeare in Love

1998 - Good Will Hunting and Full Monty better than Titanic.

1997 - Jerry Maguire better than The English Patient

1995 - The Shawshank Redemption and Pulp Fiction better than Forrest Gump.

1994 - In the Name of the Father better than Schindlers List.

1993 - A Few Good Men better than Unforgiven

1992 - Goodfellas better than Dances with Wolves. The Godfather Part 3 is probably better too, but I haven't seen it. Yeah, yeah I know, I'll get round to it some time.

While I agree with some of these, 12 Years a Slave, American Beauty, Schindlers List and Dances With Wolves are absolutely worthy winners.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James Bond has been unfairly ignored, except for a nomination for Thunderball way back in 1965. I know the Roger Moore ones became cheesy, but surely the Daniel Craig and Sean Connery films deserved oscars for cinematography and scriptwriting.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Skyfall won Oscars for Adele's song and for sound editing.

Also nominations for cinematography, score and sound mixing.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Most of the greatest directors of all time were snubbed.

Served them right for making films in their own language rather than in (American) English.

Like Fellini and Kurosawa?
  • owen10owen10 Posts: 127,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    How about Rupert Everett in My Best Friends Wedding He was brilliant in that film
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good, but these hugely successful and well made films were ignored for decades. How can Goldfinger, a very well acted and hugely popular film, not be nominated?
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Good, but these hugely successful and well made films were ignored for decades. How can Goldfinger, a very well acted and hugely popular film, not be nominated?

Bond films then, like superhero films today, were seen as popcorn fodder rather than having serious artistic merit.
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brokeback Mountain not winning best picture. A stunning movie, unbelievably good acting and utterly heartbreaking.
  • KymberlyKymberly Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched The Talented Mr Ripley yesterday which is one of my favourite films and acting wise, surprised only Jude Law was nominated.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member

And? Goldfinger, Live And Let Die and Nobody Does It Better should of won Best Song decades ago.
  • Nattie01Nattie01 Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blade Runner losing to E.T. in the visual effects category. Tron Legacy losing to Inception in the same category. Daft Punk not even getting nominated for their score for Tron Legacy.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,192
    Forum Member
    Kymberly wrote: »
    Just watched The Talented Mr Ripley yesterday which is one of my favourite films and acting wise, surprised only Jude Law was nominated.

Yes, I never understood why Matt Damon was overlooked, he was just brilliant.
  • ArtfulDodger81ArtfulDodger81 Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kirbyreed wrote: »
    Giving Crash best picture over Brokeback Mountain.

Both good films, but controversially I preferred Crash
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A very interesting list in jiroos's post, particularly the Best Actress suggestions.

I would add another contender from the year that Gwyneth Paltrow won. Fernanda Montenegro, for her role in Central Station.

Oh, and Michael Fassbender should have got a Best Actor nod, for Shame.
  • AliU2maniacAliU2maniac Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Titanic beating LA Confidential

Agree 1,000% :)

Russell Crowe, Guy Pearce, Kevin Spacey and Kim Basinger all gave extraordinary performances in this film.A true masterpiece.

There is one scene in particular that gets me every time--Kevin Spacey's wordless, horrfied reaction to a murder.In mere seconds, Spacey seems to age with grief.Amazing.

Also, I thought The Right Stuff (1983) should have won Best Picture and Dennis Quaid Best Supporting Actor.Wow, that was 32yrs ago :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    The worst Oscar injustice was the fact that Dog Day Afternoon came out the same year as One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest, depriving Al Pacino of a Best Actor Oscar. It was such a strong year that Gene Hackman wasn't even nominated for French Connection II.
  • yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1998: Titanic beating LA Confidential

1990: Driving Miss Daisy beating both Field of Dreams and Born on the Fourth of July

1995: Dennis Quaid not even getting nominated for Wyatt Earp

2002 and 2003: A Beautiful Mind and Chicago beating the Lord of the Rings. Yeah, I know they 'saved' the awards for 2004 but still.....

1973: Al Pacino (for The Godfather) losing to Joel Grey (for Cabaret)
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    I was just thinking that comedy performances don't get the recognition they deserve. The memorable ones are Diane Keaton for Annie Hall, Frances McDormand for Fargo, Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt for As Good As It Gets.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I can't remember Arnie winning one. Nuff said

and thank god he didn't. Arnie is known for one thing. Being an action movie star. Not a seriously critical acclaimed actor. The bloke has one expression in his face and talks in one tone of voice. Then again, so does Michael Caine and he won two oscars. So i suppose even the bad actors still win oscars.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Religion plays a key part in Hollywood, followed by Politics.