Forum Member
    dumpty2 wrote: »
    Anyone heard anything on Cilla Black?

Yes, she is still as hideous as ever! :p
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scott Maslem - the guy is a premier grade ass wipe.

His on screen persona is what he is like off screen. If slime had a human form it would look like him.
  • Options
    MoJo-GirlMoJo-Girl Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scott Maslem - the guy is a premier grade ass wipe.

His on screen persona is what he is like off screen. If slime had a human form it would look like him.

If you mean Scott Maslen (aka Jack Branning from EastEnders or Phil Hunter from The Bill) I've heard he's a really nice, funny guy. I know a guy who used to live next door to him and said he and his wife were lovely people.
  • Options
    jioscarjioscar Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The nicest group I've ever met were The Prodigy perfect true gentlemen
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoJo-Girl wrote: »
    If you mean Scott Maslen (aka Jack Branning from EastEnders or Phil Hunter from The Bill) I've heard he's a really nice, funny guy. I know a guy who used to live next door to him and said he and his wife were lovely people.

Wait till you meet him, I still had a few friends who were working on The Bill at the time he was serving his stint, never had a kind word to say, I was not impressed with the ' do you know who I am' speel.

Boy George for all his issues is a really nice guy, same with Gazza if he is off the sauce.
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Has anyone met any of the 'antiques road trip' / 'bargain hunt' set. I just love Charlie 'Carlos' Hanson - hoping he's as nice as he appears to be in every show. Same with Paul Laidlaw (who I have a bit of a fancy for actually). I like Phil Serrell's sense of humour - but he does seem as though he could be a bit of a grump!
  • Options
    Adam FirstAdam First Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    Wes Brown.
    Daniel Welbeck.
    Dwight York.
    Manchester United on the World Cup tour bus.
    Ryan Thomas.
    Rob James - Collier.
    Jack P Shepard.

All have been nice enough.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Just joined DS specifically to contribute to this thread. Very amusing to read the very early posts with the benefit of hindsight (“Oscar Pistorius...what a lovely guy” etc). Anyway, here's my two cents:

Rik Mayall – I agree with the others who have said what a warm, friendly and hugely charismatic man he was in the flesh. Much missed;

Kenny Everett – again, my experience is exactly as others have described – shy at first and then more relaxed once you became a familiar face. I met him several times after his Saturday morning Capital Radio show and eventually plucked up the courage to ask if he'd make a jingle for a friend of mine who was a Hospital Radio DJ. To my astonishment, Ev kindly agreed and asked me to write down the DJ's name and come back the next week to collect the tape which was a masterpiece of multi-tracked harmonies;

Morrissey – someone asked about Morrissey. Like most people, I think it depends what mood you catch him in. When he's not in the mood, he simply won't stop. When he's in the mood, he'll gladly stop, chat, pose for photos, sign record sleeves. There's a real twinkle in his eye and always a barely suppressed smile, but the well-practised Morrissey epigrams in response to any questions you ask him have the effect of drawing you in but simultaneously keeping you at arm's length (which is the way it should be, of course);

Peter Andre – my brother met him at Heathrow baggage reclaim after a long transatlantic flight. Even though everyone was knackered and jet-lagged, Peter A was happy to spend time larking around with my brother's kids and having his photo taken with them;

Matt Lucas – complete and utter effin tosser, the less said the better;

Brian May & Anita Dobson – saw them in the street (I think Anita had just been doing a radio show recording), both v friendly, approachable, happy to chat & pose for pics;

Sparks – Offstage they seem to be the exact opposite of their onstage personas: Ron (the keyboard player with the moustache and scary stare) is far more smiley and chatty than his somewhat aloof brother, Russell. Both are happy to sign autographs/pose for pics, but you'd be lucky to get more than a couple of words out of Russell;

Will Self – dour, yes, but very engaging, interesting and amusing;

The Osmonds – Donny is mentioned in this thread quite a lot, but a couple of years ago I bumped into three of his brothers (Jimmy, Merrill and Jay) when we were all checking out of the same hotel - very friendly, un-starry, super-courteous gents, chatted with them for 15mins or so about the 70's and those white jumpsuits. Absolutely charming, very funny guys – instantly changed my perception of The Osmonds!

Never met the following personally, but according to friends who work in the entertainment industry (backstage, PR, journalists, etc) they all confirm that the most hated women in the business are:

1) Cilla
    2) Maureen Lipman
    3) Elaine Paige (known as The Poison Dwarf, apparently)

And the most hated men:

1) Tommy Steele
    2) Paul Nicholas
    3) James Bolam

Had a friend who delivered white goods to Cilla's house once. He thought he was being courteous when he addressed her as “Ms. Black”, but apparently not: “Mrs Willis!” she hissed back with a face like thunder.
  • Options
    Thom001Thom001 Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr_Roy wrote: »
    Just joined DS specifically to contribute to this thread. Very amusing to read the very early posts with the benefit of hindsight (“Oscar Pistorius...what a lovely guy” etc). Anyway, here's my two cents:

Rik Mayall – I agree with the others who have said what a warm, friendly and hugely charismatic man he was in the flesh. Much missed;

Kenny Everett – again, my experience is exactly as others have described – shy at first and then more relaxed once you became a familiar face. I met him several times after his Saturday morning Capital Radio show and eventually plucked up the courage to ask if he'd make a jingle for a friend of mine who was a Hospital Radio DJ. To my astonishment, Ev kindly agreed and asked me to write down the DJ's name and come back the next week to collect the tape which was a masterpiece of multi-tracked harmonies;

Morrissey – someone asked about Morrissey. Like most people, I think it depends what mood you catch him in. When he's not in the mood, he simply won't stop. When he's in the mood, he'll gladly stop, chat, pose for photos, sign record sleeves. There's a real twinkle in his eye and always a barely suppressed smile, but the well-practised Morrissey epigrams in response to any questions you ask him have the effect of drawing you in but simultaneously keeping you at arm's length (which is the way it should be, of course);

Peter Andre – my brother met him at Heathrow baggage reclaim after a long transatlantic flight. Even though everyone was knackered and jet-lagged, Peter A was happy to spend time larking around with my brother's kids and having his photo taken with them;

Matt Lucas – complete and utter effin tosser, the less said the better;

Brian May & Anita Dobson – saw them in the street (I think Anita had just been doing a radio show recording), both v friendly, approachable, happy to chat & pose for pics;

Sparks – Offstage they seem to be the exact opposite of their onstage personas: Ron (the keyboard player with the moustache and scary stare) is far more smiley and chatty than his somewhat aloof brother, Russell. Both are happy to sign autographs/pose for pics, but you'd be lucky to get more than a couple of words out of Russell;

Will Self – dour, yes, but very engaging, interesting and amusing;

The Osmonds – Donny is mentioned in this thread quite a lot, but a couple of years ago I bumped into three of his brothers (Jimmy, Merrill and Jay) when we were all checking out of the same hotel - very friendly, un-starry, super-courteous gents, chatted with them for 15mins or so about the 70's and those white jumpsuits. Absolutely charming, very funny guys – instantly changed my perception of The Osmonds!

Never met the following personally, but according to friends who work in the entertainment industry (backstage, PR, journalists, etc) they all confirm that the most hated women in the business are:

1) Cilla
    2) Maureen Lipman

And the most hated men:

1) Tommy Steele
    2) Paul Nicholas
    3) James Bolam

Had a friend who delivered white goods to Cilla's house once. He thought he was being courteous when he addressed her as “Ms. Black”, but apparently not: “Mrs Willis!” she hissed back with a face like thunder.

My younger brother once met Rik Mayall a couple of years ago, outside Edinburgh Playhouse at the end of the gig. Got his autograph and a picture; he was so happy :D
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

1) Cilla
    2) Maureen Lipman

And the most hated men:

1) Tommy Steele
    2) Paul Nicholas
    3) James Bolam

The others I've heard stories of, but Paul Nicholas I'm surprised at!
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen Paul Nicholas few times when I been to the theatre (and no he was not in the production) and found him ever so charming
  • Options
    BarrymorefanBarrymorefan Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Hoping to meet Alan Davies, Bill Bailey, Jeremy Hardy, Alan Carr, Bryan Ferry, Heaven 17, Spandau Ballet and Paddy McGuiness. Any stories?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The others I've heard stories of, but Paul Nicholas I'm surprised at!

I'm sure Paul Nicholas is charming when meeting the public, but apparently he's an absolute nightmare to work with and incredibly rude to colleagues, crew, etc (heard this from several sources).
  • Options
    BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I knew about Cilla and Elaine Paige, but not Maureen Lipman. Is she a diva as well?
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

1) Cilla
    2) Maureen Lipman

And the most hated men:

1) Tommy Steele
    2) Paul Nicholas
    3) James Bolam

These names are consistent with different things I've heard over the years, too.

What's the story with Matt Lucas, Mr_Roy? (Please don't feel obliged to respond if you'd rather not!)
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew about Cilla and Elaine Paige, but not Maureen Lipman. Is she a diva as well?

She gives off a sour air. She used to be quite smiley and happy when her husband was alive. Turned a bit cold and arrogant. I used to love her books but couldn't read the last one. I think there is a story floating around about a book signing somewhere but I can't remember the details - might have been somebody else completely but something has pinged in my mind.

Tommy Steele? Never heard anything about him before.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dumpty2 wrote: »
    Anyone heard anything on Cilla Black?

Vile apparently.
  • Options
    RyJaRyJa Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She gives off a sour air. She used to be quite smiley and happy when her husband was alive. Turned a bit cold and arrogant. I used to love her books but couldn't read the last one. I think there is a story floating around about a book signing somewhere but I can't remember the details - might have been somebody else completely but something has pinged in my mind.

Tommy Steele? Never heard anything about him before.

I remember reading about Tommy Steele and he was appearing in a musical where it rained, and added the water was ummmmmm.... Some special 'water' from the technicians
  • Options
    testcardtestcard Posts: 8,202
    Forum Member
    Tim Wonnacott. Very unpleasant to work with according to someone I know who has worked on Bargain Hunt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    elnombre wrote: »
    Met Paul once. He was friendly but very businesslike, then I managed to get talking to him about vintage comedy and he was lovely, though we had to cut it short as his car arrived.

Edit: Merton, not Weller, as I suspect you guessed. :)

The idea of a conversation about vintage comedy with Paul Weller is much more interesting :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I met billy bragg, I was at cambridge folk festival and this was in the 90's and someone saw me in my BB tshirt and mentioned that he was outside the tent. I went out and noticed that he was with his partner and his small child, Jack. I was reluctant to speak to him as I didnt want to impose, he saw me loitering and beckoned me over. He asked "how you doing mate", I said I was sorry for disturbing him, he said dont worry. We talked for ten minutes, on gigs, he had had a bit of a hiatus at that point, on politics, on music he was doing, he was absolutely lovely, and one of the nicest musicians I have ever met, and I have met a lot (mainly indie people).
    Wouldn't it be awful if Billy Bragg started flouncing around and demanding special privileges?
    Just joined DS specifically to contribute to this thread. Very amusing to read the very early posts with the benefit of hindsight (“Oscar Pistorius...what a lovely guy” etc).
    Oh my. :blush: I spent a day in S. A. last year with someone who had worked with him, and he said that NO ONE liked him.
  • Options
    SFD1968SFD1968 Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    Don't know if you'd qualify these as celebrities, but I went to see Hayseed Dixie on Tuesday night in Derby. After the gig which was fantastic, I bought a piece of merchandise for my wife (who's more of a rocker than me) and got all four members of the band to sign it. All four guys were so down-to-earth, no airs and graces. The lead singer even thanked me for going to the gig "because you buying tickets keeps me in a job".
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    Vile apparently.

...But we don't like to talk about Cilla here on DS! ;-):D
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    testcard wrote: »
    Tim Wonnacott. Very unpleasant to work with according to someone I know who has worked on Bargain Hunt.

Don't suppose he's refered to as a name rhyming with the name of the programme is he?
  • Options
    testcardtestcard Posts: 8,202
    Forum Member
    I recall that name came up in our conversation. The other was "bully".