Countdown - so much better these days!

Comments

• katherine500000katherine500000 Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you have to be there to appreciate JB's words.Nick almost wets himself
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Arrrggghhhh !! She's trying to spoil it again !!!

She just come up with PASTOID - 'an asteroid made of pasta'

It's embarrassing to listen to a grown woman talk such drivel on a serious word and numbers quiz show - it's like something a 6 year old might do. I find it insulting to the show for her to be a guest and just make up silly make believe words and a stupid definition. It's absolute nonsense and a complete waste of time,

Stop it. Stop it now !
  • MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    horses again next week, I see.

Arsecot.
  • stewartuustewartuu Posts: 334
    Forum Member

It's embarrassing to listen to a grown woman talk such drivel on a serious word and numbers quiz show - it's like something a 6 year old might do. I find it insulting to the show for her to be a guest and just make up silly make believe words and a stupid definition. It's absolute nonsense and a complete waste of time,

Stop it. Stop it now !

Tell me about it. Thankfully they don't seem to leave as many in as they used to. I like Jo on most things but her stints on Countdown are one heck of a slog, purely because of those blinkin' nonsense words. But as with previous hosts, if Nick gels well with them, they're going to keep getting invited back no matter how awful they are are the gig itself (Margaret Mountford).

On the subject of Dictionary Corner guests, I thought Steve Backshall was excellent on his debut a couple of weeks ago. I listened to every one of his interludes which is rare for me.

So, the final. Will we get our first female champion since 1998, I wonder? Would be nice to see. I think it'll be close.
  • katherine500000katherine500000 Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    good luck Tracey in the final.I t would be nice to see a lady champion again as they are few and far between.
    Forum Member
    message deleted.
    Forum Member
    message deleted.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's recorded several weeks in advance but was surprised Nick still talked about the Foo Fighters playing Glastonbury, they had enough time to correct it.

Nice to see Rachel getting the conundrum though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it true the dictionary corner guests have to audition first? It makes you wonder who failed for being too boring.
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    Is it true the dictionary corner guests have to audition first? It makes you wonder who failed for being too boring.

They're picked from a shortlist and invited to appear. Guests might register their interest, but they don't audition. As for content, I would say they probably have to clear what they're going to talk about before recording, but then some seem so unprepared you wonder if they even go that far.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Stop it. Stop it now !
    Oh come on, it's serious for the contestants but the guest in dictionary corner can crack a joke or two if they like. She wouldn't be the first guest to try making up words from the letters.

If there was no humour at all and it was just a dry word and numbers game Countdown wouldn't have the appeal it has.
  • Boz_LowdownlBoz_Lowdownl Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    Oh come on, it's serious for the contestants but the guest in dictionary corner can crack a joke or two if they like. She wouldn't be the first guest to try making up words from the letters.

If there was no humour at all and it was just a dry word and numbers game Countdown wouldn't have the appeal it has.

This is true, but Jo Brand on Countdown is just embarrassing, not at all humourous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stewartuu wrote: »
    They're picked from a shortlist and invited to appear. Guests might register their interest, but they don't audition. As for content, I would say they probably have to clear what they're going to talk about before recording, but then some seem so unprepared you wonder if they even go that far.

Is there any extra money/prestige to being picked for finals week?
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    Is there any extra money/prestige to being picked for finals week?

I don't know about that; their recent choices don't seem to suggest any particular preference.

I remember back in the (now very) old days they used to have a pair of celebrities in Dictionary Corner for the final, some of whom had never been on the show before, which I suppose in itself was a touch of prestige and occasion.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is true, but Jo Brand on Countdown is just embarrassing, not at all humourous.
    I think that depends on whether you like Jo Brand or not.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    I think that depends on whether you like Jo Brand or not.

I like Jo Brand but can't watch her on Countdown with her made-up words.
  • dorkjacksndorkjacksn Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe my friend's sister will be competing this Tuesday! So I'll be watching her performance with eagle eyes! :)
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still like the concept of the show,having watched it
    faithfully for the first few 'Whitely Years'. .Rachel Riley
    is always worth watching of course,and Suzie Dent is
    very attractive too.But I can't watch much of it nowadays
    for Nick Hewer and his headmasterish waffle and seeming
    condescension towards the players.I am sure he means well
    but it really bores me when he starts pontificating about a
    subject that matters to him,and of which no one else gives
    a toss!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have liked Nick as a headmaster..
  • Old BlokeOld Bloke Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's subjective - I find Nick Hewer's dry humour and throwaway comments hilarious.
    Forum Member
    It took a long while to warm to him but now I think Nick hilarious, though his opening conversations with Rachel are beyond cringeworthy; I avoid the pre-game 'banter' at all costs.

Did anyone see the contestant rap yesterday? Blimey! :o No wonder he found it hard to focus on the game if he knew he had to do that at the end of the show.
    Forum Member
    It took a long while to warm to him but now I think Nick hilarious, though his opening conversations with Rachel are beyond cringeworthy; I avoid the pre-game 'banter' at all costs.

Did anyone see the contestant rap yesterday? Blimey! :o No wonder he found it hard to focus on the game if he knew he had to do that at the end of the show.

He did what ??!!!!

I didn't see that bit but did watch the game and I remember thinking this fella doesn't seem to be concentrating on the game.
    Forum Member
    He did what ??!!!!

I didn't see that bit but did watch the game and I remember thinking this fella doesn't seem to be concentrating on the game.

Good old YouTube - brace yourself, SC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH78DdG8Kas
    Forum Member
    Good old YouTube - brace yourself, SC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH78DdG8Kas

Heavens above !!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when both contestants get the same word, I always think it is a bit odd when the first to say the word shows the other person his/her piece of paper......is it just nerves? Why do they do that?
This discussion has been closed.