Walking Dead - Season 5 (US Sun/UK Mon) - No Spoilers

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    deans6571 wrote: »
    ....actually - just what is going on with this group anyway?

They've spent the last 2 episodes, sitting/arguing on the road, next to their firetruck?!?! :confused:

Why don't they just all get in the truck and steam roll through that town ahead of them with the thousands of 'walkers'? Surely the fire truck would plough through the lot of 'em?!!!

That is what is frustrating me. So they can't move Eugene because it might kill him, but there's a massive herd in front of them that will also kill them. Saying the herd can't see or hear them might be true, but it wouldn't take much for one to spot a bird flying over head in the fire trucks direction and then once one starts moving, they all follow in that direction. Maybe I am thinking the colour red is like a target for them, but it would seem logical for them to either plow on through or turn back. I don't like this group just monging about on the side of the road.
  • deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    sootysoo wrote: »
    That is what is frustrating me. So they can't move Eugene because it might kill him, but there's a massive herd in front of them that will also kill them. Saying the herd can't see or hear them might be true, but it wouldn't take much for one to spot a bird flying over head in the fire trucks direction and then once one starts moving, they all follow in that direction. Maybe I am thinking the colour red is like a target for them, but it would seem logical for them to either plow on through or turn back. I don't like this group just monging about on the side of the road.

....agreed!!!!!!

I can see next week's season finale's cliffhanger ending in 2 parts : the final 'showdown' at the hospital between Rick's group and the hospital group, perhaps someone getting killed off; AND, Glen's group ploughing into the aforementioned town and being completely overrun with all the zombies - again, possible someone losing their life!

Either way - can't see these 2 groups finding each other before the episode is over........

...and as for the priest - who knows what he's all about?! :confused: As someone mentioned earlier, wonder if the whole 'nail in the shoe/foot' scene with him, will have any significance later on - otherwise, why put that into the story (haven't read the comics but would be interesting to know if that scene is also in the comics)?:confused:
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    It's slow in places but that's so when action finally happens it feels like edge of the seat stuff. I'm still enjoying it enough to keep watching it.

I too though Eugene's moaning was very zombie like.

As to who is going to die next week - Norman Reedus cried for an hour over it so I'm guessing Carol or Beth. And part of me thinks Carol, because they've put a lot of emotional investment in her story from beaten housewife to survivor. I don't feel Beth's story is done yet. But actually I don't want either to die. :-(

As for Michonne, I felt Rick chose her to babysit as she has a good rapport with Carl and Rick trusts her with his baby daughter. He's got concerns over the priest (who's obviously got demons!) and knows Michonne will do what is necessary to protect his kids.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMO it's never been stronger since Scott Gimple took over. For the first time, I'm genuinely worried about the whole crew, he's done such a good job fleshing out the characters. Up until midway through S4 I couldn't care less about most of them and only actively liked Daryl, Maggie and baby Judith.

It's soooo much better than all that soap opera stuff on the farm and the overlong Governor and prison plots of S3 and half of S4.

Sidebar: I've read some quotes from the cast about next week's episode. Not plot spoilers but clues....
    Melissa McBride (Carol) describes next week's episode as "heartbreaking" and Norman Reedus (Daryl) said he cried for an hour. Oh god, I hope Carol doesn't die after they've made her so likeable and interesting. :(

I'm thinking
    Judith ricks baby is a gonna that priest kills her
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's slow in places but that's so when action finally happens it feels like edge of the seat stuff. I'm still enjoying it enough to keep watching it.

I too though Eugene's moaning was very zombie like.
    As to who is going to die next week - Norman Reedus cried for an hour over it so I'm guessing Carol or Beth. And part of me thinks Carol, because they've put a lot of emotional investment in her story from beaten housewife to survivor. I don't feel Beth's story is done yet. But actually I don't want either to die. :-(

As for Michonne, I felt Rick chose her to babysit as she has a good rapport with Carl and Rick trusts her with his baby daughter. He's got concerns over the priest (who's obviously got demons!) and knows Michonne will do what is necessary to protect his kids.

Absolutely. Tyrese is a great babysitter for Judith from a day to day POV, but if there is a danger from a human then you need Michonne.

Might be an idea to spoiler the bit of your post in the middle. I had avoided knowin gthat and though I don't think it would affect my enjoyment others might be more sensitive about potential spoilers.:)
    Forum Member
    I know people keep asking about father Gabriel, and he is in the graphic novels (and we know people don't like spoilers) but having read them, there really isn't any clue as to where they are going with his character. It's completely different. I just think his arc is, he's petrified of Rick's group after what he's just witnessed at the church, but he's also scared of the walkers and doesn't really know how to survive on his own. Either he is going to have to be forced back into the group, or another group will find him and probably rescue him and he will tell them how bad Rick's group are (murderers, etc) and they may become Rick's new cause for concern. Just a theory, no spoilers.
  • Zeppelyn56Zeppelyn56 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    sootysoo wrote: »
    I know people keep asking about father Gabriel, and he is in the graphic novels (and we know people don't like spoilers) but having read them, there really isn't any clue as to where they are going with his character. It's completely different. I just think his arc is, he's petrified of Rick's group after what he's just witnessed at the church, but he's also scared of the walkers and doesn't really know how to survive on his own. Either he is going to have to be forced back into the group, or another group will find him and probably rescue him and he will tell them how bad Rick's group are (murderers, etc) and they may become Rick's new cause for concern. Just a theory, no spoilers.

Or maybe, just maybe he will bump into Morgan, can't see Lennie James being involved in this for just a five second cameo somehow.
    Forum Member
    Zeppelyn56 wrote: »
    Or maybe, just maybe he will bump into Morgan, can't see Lennie James being involved in this for just a five second cameo somehow.

That is a possibility. Isn't Lennie James starring in another TV series though? Isn't that why he hasn't been a cast regular since the very beginning?
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    Absolutely. Tyrese is a great babysitter for Judith from a day to day POV, but if there is a danger from a human then you need Michonne.

Might be an idea to spoiler the bit of your post in the middle. I had avoided knowin gthat and though I don't think it would affect my enjoyment others might be more sensitive about potential spoilers.:)

Ah sorry, can't edit now. Had to dash off for the school run. I thought as it's out in public in the news so to speak it wouldn't be a spoiler as such. Apologies if it's upset anyone. Could the mods change it if I asked?
  • Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member

But it's not a spoiler, it's a viewers idea of why a character came to a certain decision. It's no more a spoiler than saying Sascha probably trusted Bob-the-cop because of his name.
  • Iggy's BoyIggy's Boy Posts: 3,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    TWD is making a habit of ending on moments of high tension or intrigue, only for that ending not to be re-visited again. What was the point of making a dramatic ending of Daryl bringing a new person into the group - 'Come on out' - if you're not then going to show him actually being introduced to the group?

I have to disagree.

At the end of episode where Daryl appears the questions is asked 'where's Carol' and from Daryl's reaction we can tell that he's not with Carol, so the question in our minds is 'where's Carol?' and 'who is daryl with?'

In the next ep, we're with Beth and Carol appears on a stretcher at the end. We go 'ah, THERE'S Carol!'

In the next ep we see Daryl heading back to the church with Noah, which answers our question of 'who's Daryl with?' from before.

So all the questions have been set and, over three episodes, answered. It's not like they have been set up and left hanging. The writers would probably argue that seeing Noah be introduced to the group tells us something we already know and would be boring, lots of 'hello, I'm Noah, I was at the hospital where Beth and Carol are', etc, which we already know. I agree, it would be boring.

I think she show is actually very nicely written and constructed.
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,889
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    That has to be one of the dullest episodes since the snoozefest on the farm in S2. I kept waiting for something to happen but nothing did.
    That's odd because I thought it was one of the best ones of late.

The only thing I found daft was the priest escaping from under the church, why would he bother? I'm sure Michonne and Carl would have been glad to see the back of him if he'd simply walked out of the door.

I also realised while watching last night that if Rick hadn't cast Carol out when he did she wouldn't have saved them at Terminus and they would probably all be dead and eaten now :o
    Not sure if the writers planned it that way or if I'm giving them too much credit.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zeppelyn56 wrote: »

Most likely scenario I would think.

Michonne and Carl are hardly going to bother going after him once they find he's gone so he's either just walked out of the series (probably to die off screen) or he ends up returning to the Church and meeting Morgan might be the reason he does so.
    Rose*~* wrote: »
    But it's not a spoiler, it's a viewers idea of why a character came to a certain decision. It's no more a spoiler than saying Sascha probably trusted Bob-the-cop because of his name.

I think you're looking at the wrong thing. The potential spoiler was how a certain actor reacted while filming the next episode.
  • Scarlet O'HaraScarlet O'Hara Posts: 6,933
    Forum Member
    jasvinyl wrote: »
    I understand that to create jeopardy, people in horror films/stories have to be a little stupid. As an example, the bad guys bite/scratch, so we won't habitually wear leather otherwise they won't have that opportunity. Or, let's jump into situations (like water filled cellars) without dispatching - or at the very least checking - for zombies first. Or.....let's not visit the nearest out of town gun store, raid it for everything including a bullet making press and supplies to make our own ammo...Or....I could go on.

But yesterdays episode was, to be polite, pants. Took the proverbial biscuit.

Let's leave one of our best fighters babysitting, and bring the babysitter to a fight we are instigating. Let's change our plans, capture some people, screw that up, not manage to kill a car with all our weaponry, catch some people again, tie them up but let them sweet talk us, don't watch them properly as a group, allow one of them free movement behind our backs (for goodness sake...) and potentially escape, therefore ruining everything. It was silly, silly silly.

Such a shame, and not worthy of the way it could have played out. Just for once, our "heroes" could have just done what needed to be done - enough jeopardy in itself - and got their people back without any of the rubbish interplay. By now, they KNOW that people will do anything to protect their own. They KNOW that normal moral rules no longer apply. They have the initiative and the upper hand, they have the manpower and the firepower, But STILL they're rubbish and allow it all to become pants, with only themselves to blame.

Hopefully the next episode will be exciting enough to forgive the bad writing, and I for one am ready to forgive a lot, but, really...

I got leapt on by two posters for pointing some howlers out last week but I agree with you: the show's biggest flaw, acknowledged by critics and fans alike is that these writers will have characters do stupid things just to push the plot along (pacing is the other big problem). Ironically, I don't think this week was as bad as usual.

Tyrese has been a liability with Judith twice: first when he left 3 small kids alone in a zombie-infested forest to help a stranger, and second when he turned his back and allowed that Termite to attack Judith (and then didnt kill the guy properly). If I was Rick, I wouldn't leave her at all after thinking I'd lost her once, and we saw his reluctance. But he trusts Michonne more than anyone.
    gother wrote: »
    I'm thinking
    Judith ricks baby is a gonna that priest kills her

God, I hope not. :( Spoilers from comic below (not that they stick to the books)...
    Judith is already dead in the comics, right? Regardless of Kirkman's control, and he's done some sick stuff in the comics, i think there's a line the show wont cross. Plus she is the CUTEST toddler.

I think it'll be Carol. In the comic, she commits suicide after seeing Daryl & Michonne together so maybe in the show, it'll have to do with seeing Daryl's feelings towards Beth when they reunite? But I think it's more likely she'll sacrifice herself somehow to save others....the ultimate redemption arc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eugene definitely said 'help'. So he has not turned yet. Saying that he may well die from his injuries. He can't be moved and the group can't move with him still around. So it would make sense for him to die and then the group can go back to the library where there is a local store that hasn't been touched, gather their resources and make plans. I thought the herd ahead of them, as well as being too far away, were caged in, but I could be wrong. I will have to watch again to be sure.

As for the reverend, I can see him finding Morgan and whilst the Rev may be horrified by what he saw happening in and to his church, Morgan may make him see sense and they both return to the church. This would tie in with Michonne having to stay behind, as well as guarding the kids, as she knows Morgan and knows he saved Rick.

Just my thoughts. I always have to rewatch an episode after reading this thread.:)
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morgan is weeks, possibly months, behind Rick and Co.
  • OrdinaryMorningOrdinaryMorning Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got leapt on by two posters for pointing some howlers out last week but I agree with you: the show's biggest flaw, acknowledged by critics and fans alike is that these writers will have characters do stupid things just to push the plot along (pacing is the other big problem). Ironically, I don't think this week was as bad as usual.

Tyrese has been a liability with Judith twice: first when he left 3 small kids alone in a zombie-infested forest to help a stranger, and second when he turned his back and allowed that Termite to attack Judith (and then didnt kill the guy properly). If I was Rick, I wouldn't leave her at all after thinking I'd lost her once, and we saw his reluctance. But he trusts Michonne more than anyone.

God, I hope not. :( Spoilers from comic below (not that they stick to the books)...
    Judith is already dead in the comics, right? Regardless of Kirkman's control, and he's done some sick stuff in the comics, i think there's a line the show wont cross. Plus she is the CUTEST toddler.

I think it'll be Carol. In the comic, she commits suicide after seeing Daryl & Michonne together so maybe in the show, it'll have to do with seeing Daryl's feelings towards Beth when they reunite? But I think it's more likely she'll sacrifice herself somehow to save others....the ultimate redemption arc.

Daryll isn't in the comics. I think you mean Tyrese.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iggy's Boy wrote: »
    So all the questions have been set and, over three episodes, answered.
    Oh, I'm not saying the question wasn't answered, just that it was bit anti-climactic, IMO. Daryl was introducing a stranger, a kid, into the group, who claims to know where Beth (and Carol) is, and Rick has no reason to necessarily believe him other than the fact that Daryl believes him. Obviously there's only room for so much in each episode, but that could have been an interesting conversation IMO. Instead, it was glossed over.
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Morgan is weeks, possibly months, behind Rick and Co.

Confusing , we see Rick alter the sign and within perhaps a couple of days finds the church and meets Gabriel , then they take out the Terminites . We see Morgan pass the same sign an unspecified time after Rick, certainly weeks judging by the growth of bushes . It' s possible that Morgan hasn't reached the sign yet .
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »

Why don't they just all get in the truck and steam roll through that town ahead of them with the thousands of 'walkers'? Surely the fire truck would plough through the lot of 'em?!!!

They actually have Eugene say that the air filters will likely get blocked with Zombie entrails (Cleaning the air filters is the reason they are stopped already) if they try forcing their way through.

Of course this is another delaying tactic from Eugene so we can't take it at face value.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's good that at least one person (Tara) undertands why Eugene lied about Washington and seems to be able to forgive him
  • Scarlet O'HaraScarlet O'Hara Posts: 6,933
    Forum Member
    Daryll isn't in the comics. I think you mean Tyrese.

Yep, thanks. Couldn't remember who her love interest was.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TWD is still the best written show (of its type) on tv, the variation in pacing week on week is good, it keeps you, as the viewer on your toes, and I agree with the person who said, the weeks where little happens are the most stressful! Totally agree however with the stupid things that the group do to keep the story moving, Daryl would never, on his own investigate that FEMA truck, just to get the guy to jump out, just to have Rick NOT shoot him to re-enfoce Daryl's sudden reluctance to kill. That said I think that reluctance may be in the build up to the mid-season break, mayb that reluctance will either get Carol killed or after she is dead, he will snap. (assumes it is Carol that will die)
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We're all assuming Carole wakes up.....what if they go through the big old rescue mission, shoot it out, maybe even lose Sasha or Tyrese, open Carol's door and she's died from the car accident (or Beth medicating her :D) & turned - strapped down to the bed. It's all been for naught. Especially if they lose Beth too.....

Not that I want to lose any of them. Except maybe Sasha now she's caught the stoopid. I'd say Tyrese needs to go too but from a story point of view, he is the heart and the conscience of the group........ Nah, I just find him very attractive & want him to stay :D
  • jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're all assuming Carole wakes up.....what if they go through the big old rescue mission, shoot it out, maybe even lose Sasha or Tyrese, open Carol's door and she's died from the car accident (or Beth medicating her :D) & turned - strapped down to the bed. It's all been for naught. Especially if they lose Beth too.....

Not that I want to lose any of them. Except maybe Sasha now she's caught the stoopid. I'd say Tyrese needs to go too but from a story point of view, he is the heart and the conscience of the group........ Nah, I just find him very attractive & want him to stay :D

Yeah everything is leading to us think that Carol will kick the bucket which is what i think. I have a soft spot for Beth so i don't want her to go but even Carol is one of my favourite characters so will be a bit of a tearjerker if she goes. What on earth was Sascha playing at with Bob she obviously wasn't thinking straight about the conciquences when she let him go we will have to see how that one pans out next week. As for Glens group i think they are just deleying the inevitable where Eugene is concerned he may have already turned i mean that morn was probably him turning if that's the case Maggie may have had it but then i don't want her to go either so who knows and as for the priest he's up to somthing and we will probably find out what it is in the closing moments of next weeks episode and then i will be having withdrawel symptoms until it returns in the new year.