Woman's body found in missing mother and baby search in Bristol

Comments

• HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is absolutely heartbreaking.

Have just been reading that she had schizophrenia and had also come off some tablets for depression because she was breastfeeding. If this was the case I can't understand why she was not being monitored more carefully and how she could just walk out with her baby.

If she can walk out with her baby unnoticed then presumably someone could just walk in and remove a baby. I have a younger friend and we were talking last night and she said both her last 2 kids were tagged in hospital when they were born and that was in. Much smaller hospital than this.
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    This is absolutely heartbreaking.

Have just been reading that she had schizophrenia and had also come off some tablets for depression because she was breastfeeding. If this was the case I can't understand why she was not being monitored more carefully and how she could just walk out with her baby.

If she can walk out with her baby unnoticed then presumably someone could just walk in and remove a baby. I have a younger friend and we were talking last night and she said both her last 2 kids were tagged in hospital when they were born and that was in. Much smaller hospital than this.
    I had a baby a couple of months ago and he wasn't tagged. I had a history of PND so was kept in for a bit longer than usual but as soon as the unit got busy they were practically pushing me out the door and just didn't have the time to check everything was okay. The mother did seem to be staying a tad longer than usual, most people I know have been out within a day or two or their first and that's with sections and all
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just broke, its confirmed, as expected, the body is hers. :(

Just the babys body to find now :(

Terrible, RIP.
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP xxx
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, so heartbreaking. :(

My thoughts are with Charlotte's family. They must be going through agony.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damn they're searching a cliff face. :(

Did they know she had schizophrenia, healthy women who give birth can suffer problems, surprised and disappointed it is still that easy to walk out of hospital with a baby.
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confirmation now that the body of the little girl has been discovered. :cry::(
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    Confirmation now that the body of the little girl has been discovered. :cry::(

Poor little mite. xxx My condolences to all concerned, terribly sad.
  • RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pregnant and emotional anyway but the news they've found a the body of a baby girl in the gorge has me in floods of tears. That poor woman and that poor baby. I hope lessons will be learned in maternity hospitals, some are a lot tighter on security than others and it would have been on the mother's records that she was on medication for depression.

What a tragic tale, my thoughts are with her family and friends. I can't imagine their pain.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Truely terrible but thank goodness they found the poor little girl, it's horrible to think of that little body being out there alone. I hope they both rest in peace together.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very very sad news to hear that the baby has also been found dead. The poor partner and Grandma will be devastated.

I suppose now we will hear that the hospital will carry out a full investigation and that "'lessons will be learned." Just like we hear every time there is a tragedy.

I remember years ago when there was a spate of babies being stolen from maternity wards and they were all supposed to have "upped" the security, using CCTV, having locked wards etc etc. Seems they didnt learn much after all.

It looked incredibly easy for this poor Mum to walk out with her baby completely unchallenged.
  • scar_tissuescar_tissue Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So sad, I only walked across that bridge the other week when in Bristol. RIP.
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is such a tragedy. Poor souls :(

I have been thinking about er since it was on the news she was missing. She walked out of the hospital with no coat and just slippers. It was freezing that night. I woke up at about 4 in the morning and there was frost on our car and my first thought was for her and the baby.
  • Logan FiveLogan Five Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Horrific. :( My thoughts are with both families.
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tragic for all concerned. The last time I visited a maternity ward there was proper security on the way in and out.
    I didn't imagine it wasn't like that everywhere.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deleted
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very very sad news to hear that the baby has also been found dead. The poor partner and Grandma will be devastated.

I suppose now we will hear that the hospital will carry out a full investigation and that "'lessons will be learned." Just like we hear every time there is a tragedy.

I remember years ago when there was a spate of babies being stolen from maternity wards and they were all supposed to have "upped" the security, using CCTV, having locked wards etc etc. Seems they didnt learn much after all.

It looked incredibly easy for this poor Mum to walk out with her baby completely unchallenged.

Oh no!
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrible news :cry:
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A terrible thing.
    I wouldn't be the hospital staff though - those kicking themselves with 'if onlys' and those who will possibly be the subject of an enquiry.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The security getting in is different than the security to get out. It also depends on whether you're on a ward or a home from home room. A ward is likely to have a nurses station to bypass and then a door to leave the ward and another to leave the maternity unit itself. Home from home can be just one door which you can release yourself. It also depends on the times, there's unlikely to be anyone on reception at night to spot someone leaving in slippers with a baby. During/around visiting hours the doors can be left open for ease of relatives getting in and out. You also have mothers frequently going outside in slippers to smoke or get food from machines etc so I can see how she managed to slip out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vierte wrote: »
    The security getting in is different than the security to get out. It also depends on whether you're on a ward or a home from home room. A ward is likely to have a nurses station to bypass and then a door to leave the ward and another to leave the maternity unit itself. Home from home can be just one door which you can release yourself. It also depends on the times, there's unlikely to be anyone on reception at night to spot someone leaving in slippers with a baby. During/around visiting hours the doors can be left open for ease of relatives getting in and out. You also have mothers frequently going outside in slippers to smoke or get food from machines etc so I can see how she managed to slip out.

Yes it's simple to get in and out as a patient as it should be. They're not in prison. The security is for outsiders.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vinba wrote: »
    Yes this.. In plenty of maternity units it's quite easy to take the baby out so relatives can see the little one outside the times that visitors are allowed.

Also how many times have you seen patients walking around hospital grounds either on their way to the canteen or out for a crafty cigarette and a lot of times on the peripheries of the hospital as the main areas are now usually smoke free.

It's heart breaking but the maternity staff were highly unlikely to know the mental history of the mother giving birth..

Well considering they know all your details ... Age, religion, next of kin, blood groups, type of birth, medical history etc etc, I would have thought it would definitely have been in her notes that she was mentally unwell.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vinba wrote: »
    Yes this.. In plenty of maternity units it's quite easy to take the baby out so relatives can see the little one outside the times that visitors are allowed.

Also how many times have you seen patients walking around hospital grounds either on their way to the canteen or out for a crafty cigarette and a lot of times on the peripheries of the hospital as the main areas are now usually smoke free.

It's heart breaking but the maternity staff were highly unlikely to know the mental history of the mother giving birth..

Can you imagine the outcry if patients were locked in?
  • prgirl_cescaprgirl_cesca Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    This is just so tragic. I am reading she came off medication so she could breastfeed. I know I bang on about my experience with post natal depression due to failed feeding, but I am sick of the pressure being put on new mums to breastfeed. She should have been on a care strategy if coming off meds. Maybe she was? All will come out at the inquest I suppose.

Once again mental health ignored because staff are over stretched.

Where I gave birth (and will again this time) we had to be buzzed in and out of the maternity leave. So I couldn't have left without someone letting me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pregnant and emotional anyway but the news they've found a the body of a baby girl in the gorge has me in floods of tears. That poor woman and that poor baby. I hope lessons will be learned in maternity hospitals, some are a lot tighter on security than others and it would have been on the mother's records that she was on medication for depression.

What a tragic tale, my thoughts are with her family and friends. I can't imagine their pain.
    Maybe the baby should have been tagged. But it was an ordinary maternity ward, not a secure one; the tragedy seems to have taken everyone by surprise, even though she had been on anti-depressants. Hospital wards are rarely secure: people go in and out to visit the shop, to have a smoke etc; the most you can normally expect is that it is hard to get in, not out.

There was ONE, not 'a spate'. It completely dominated the papers for days, so it's not as if we could have missed a few more.

It was obviously an appalling experience for the mother, with long-term repercussions: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-12995790