Black Mirror Series 2

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you were a journalist, this statement would end up in David Langford's
    "As Others See Us" column in "Interzone" (where he records people
    saying "I like that film/TV show, so it can't be sci-fi/fantasy!" ) ;-)

Which is why he likely isn't and why I hope he'll think about my replies. I'm fairly certain most people jumped at the Chestbuster scene in Alien and were scared as Hell during the last 10 minutes during the tense climax while also enjoying the futuristic spaceship and the concepts involving in long distance space travel/alien life forms. It's not and either/or scenario, it's a "an all of the above" situation. However it's easy to be snarky, defiant and ignorant, it takes a little more effort to be informed, direct and able to cite references that have clearly went over the heads of people who don't want The Simpsons Halloween Specials, the first of which was called Treehouse of Horror because Bart and Lisa told ghost stories that scared an eavesdropping Homer. Then again, I like to read more than Twitter feeds and in fact own all of Mr Brooker's collected works where his influences are notable and repeated, so I'm not the greenhorn people are assuming me to be. Hell, I'd argue some of my comments on this series have been the most deeply analytical and critical of the series in different measures on this thread.
  • GatehouseGatehouse Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    As for The Treehouse Of Horror, that's a Simpsons reference where they also do allusions/parodies to horror and sci movies such as The Omega Man, another film which ticks both boxes, as well as 2001 when the home computer voiced by Pierce Brosnan tries to seduce Marge and kill Homer. Horror, sci fi, comedy, parody and action all in one.

My favourite one is the Homer3 episode with Homer's line "hey, this is like that Twilighty place with that Zone..."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And on TV... Quatermass, The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, Doctor Who (especially in
    the early Tom Baker Period), The Nightmare Man,
    Day of the Triffids, The X Files, Ultraviolet, Torchwood, Fringe, The Walking
    Dead...all sci-fi. And all with at least some horror elements.

For TV I'd also include The Dead Zone and Nightmare On Elm Street: The Series. Tales From The Crypt also had some sci fi episodes even though that was a hardcore horror anthology show too.

Good call on Ultraviolet if you mean the Sky One series from the 1990s.

I'd also add Death Valley, the short lived MTV series about a cops team assigned to police supernatural elements in Los Angeles since they had special equipment to arrest and deal with werewolves/vampires and what not. Very brief run and at times tonally disjointed but I really enjoyed it. Plus, Caity Lotz is simply stunning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gatehouse wrote: »
    My favourite one is the Homer3 episode with Homer's line "hey, this is like that Twilighty place with that Zone..."

"Mmmm... erotic cakes..."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MacBurp wrote: »
    What a cruel punishment. A bare minimum of 3 days at 1000 years a minute is 4.3 million years, listening to Roy Wood!

Fairly sure that was intentionally done, that's the rough estimate of time from the start of primates through until evolution of man until the modern day. The specimen "ardi" is a primate that is believed to be the first adaptation towards homo sapiens. He will basically suffer for the length of human history in the virtual world while only days pass in reality.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Fairly sure that was intentionally done, that's the rough estimate of time from the start of primates through until evolution of man until the modern day. The specimen "ardi" is a primate that is believed to be the first adaptation towards homo sapiens. He will basically suffer for the length of human history in the virtual world while only days pass in reality.

Very, very dark ending...but there's a certain streak of black comedy in it.
    People often complain about having to hear the same handful of songs getting
    played to death during Christmas....imagine having to listen to
    it for millions of years. :o It's like something out of Ambrose Bierce
    or Roald Dahl.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very, very dark ending...but there's a certain streak of black comedy in it.
    People often complain about having to hear the same handful of songs getting
    played to death during Christmas....imagine having to listen to
    it for millions of years. :o It's like something out of Ambrose Bierce
    or Roald Dahl.

The ending reminded me of The Raven, which was featured in a parody/interpretation on the first Treehouse Of Horror Simpsons Special but "nevermore" was replaced by Wizzard. Same parallel could be drawn to The TellTale Heart, his guilt driving him mad as he can't stop the persistent noise of the heart beating in his head of his dead victim...

See, I'm quite willing to admit it's not wholly original and ackowledge the sources of influence, I'm just not silly enough to write off this creative effort as entirely derivative when it has merits of worth as a piece of work. That'd be like writing off Romeo and Juliet or Cinderella or Tristan and Isolde just because they are all about starcrossed lovers. Similar stories can have similar themes but it's the writers use of existing tropes that determines the quality and originality of their thought process and the work drawn from it, King Kong from 1934 is vastly different from Peter Jackson's version even though he claims the original is his favourite, most watched movie of all time.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally got around to watching it last night and really enjoyed it - certainly one of the better ones, due in no small part to Jon Hamm's excellent performance.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Thankfully beaten to the 1973 Christmas number one by Slade. :)

Thank you Slade.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For TV I'd also include The Dead Zone and Nightmare On Elm Street: The Series. Tales From The Crypt also had some sci fi episodes even though that was a hardcore horror anthology show too.

Good call on Ultraviolet if you mean the Sky One series from the 1990s.

I'd also add Death Valley, the short lived MTV series about a cops team assigned to police supernatural elements in Los Angeles since they had special equipment to arrest and deal with werewolves/vampires and what not. Very brief run and at times tonally disjointed but I really enjoyed it. Plus, Caity Lotz is simply stunning.

Surely you're talking about the Channel 4 series of Ultraviolet if you mean the 1990s?
    You mean the one about vampires and written by Joe Ahearne? That wasn't a Sky programme.
  • chaz_womaqchaz_womaq Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Thanks for taking the time to answer:
    shhftw wrote: »
    1. I don't think the DNA was necessarily there, the blood was from the grandfather.

But his fingerprints were on the globe. He would have been shedding DNA all over the house. He had already been arrested (how was never explained), so they would easily have found his DNA there.
    3. Because he's colluded with others to engage in voyeurism which invades personal privacy. They're all guilty for sharing the Z-Eye feed. Plus, they witnessed a murder and it went unreported.

Doesn't seem worth covering up a murder over to me. And how was he caught?
    4. I think that's the point.

Do you mean the Rafe wasn't telling the truth? I still don't see any legal justification for the blocking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    You do understand that he isn't writing sci-fi.

It doesn't really matter what label you want to put on it.
    I'd call it speculative fiction. But it doesn't matter as long as I enjoyed it, which I did.
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed how it riffed on the idea of what constitutes a person.

For me, if a 'cookie' is self-aware and can feel emotion, pain, whatever, it's 'alive' and anyone subjecting it to a minute in a shithole cabin in winter that feels as though it has lasted a thousand years should spend the rest of his or her life in solitary confinement!
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess I could have written a pithy denouement making obvious comparisons that Brooker has already admitted are intentional in a patronisingly knowing tone as if stating the obvious was a mark of originality, but that's not terribly original and you'd beaten me to it.

With worn-out sarcasm like that you should apply to edit Brooker`s derivative nonsense. You`ll fit like a hand-in-glove.

You`ve probably spent more time analysing this hackneyed, overlong dullness then he spent writing it.
  • Robin DaviesRobin Davies Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Thank you Slade.
    Personally I prefer the Wizzard song.
    The Slade one has had much more airplay over the years and it's not even one of Slade's best songs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched the show and enjoyed it but too much suspension of disbelief was required. We are supposed to think about these shows aren't we?

The stand out for me was they had the technology to download a person's personality\memories into a 'cookie' but then used it to operate the toaster and turn up the heating. Really?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    With worn-out sarcasm like that you should apply to edit Brooker`s derivative nonsense. You`ll fit like a hand-in-glove.

You`ve probably spent more time analysing this hackneyed, overlong dullness then he spent writing it.

Why yes, clearly, I've spent over 6 months producing these posts from start to finish. Are you actually this rude normally or am I getting some preferential ire here while you make ridiculous and insulting comments?

Well, present the incisive jewels you've proferred to the discussion other than stating the obvious while adding no substance. Also, mocking me for actually trying to make valid and informed criticisms while actually adding very little yourself is like bring coleslaw to a BBQ and then complaining about the quality of the steaks on offer. But please opine as if you're Anthony Minghella rather than just another poster. I don't think you're as smart as you think and come across as an arrogant person who thinks they can do better than a successful journalist/author/producer/presenter/writer/director or even add more substance than "It's not original therefore it is crap because I've watched THX 1138 before" when even that was derivative of 1984 and The Prisoner.

You seem like a concerted miscreant adding little to the topic of actual worth. If you're looking for an argument and wish to be rude and assumptive, please go to the pub near closing time and see how that works when you're rude to strangers over trivial matters like their views on a TV show. It's comical to me you think yourself fit to judge or insult me considering your own posts lack much worth. So, I'm putting you on ignore, I don't think I'll miss anything if you're this unpleasant and antagonistic over a bloody feature length special on TV.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrovegni wrote: »
    Just watched the show and enjoyed it but too much suspension of disbelief was required. We are supposed to think about these shows aren't we?

The stand out for me was they had the technology to download a person's personality\memories into a 'cookie' but then used it to operate the toaster and turn up the heating. Really?

In the current edition of Click which you can watch on the iPlayer they announced an app which when you get in range of your home's wi-fi allows your phone to turn your kettle on. In previous programme there was another app which allows your home to note who has come into the home and turn on the heating in that person's room. So that technology is being used. They also had a gadget which can stir things like custard for you and a Japanese robot that can do cooking for you.

It was also an allegory about how mind-numbingly boring and repetitive work has become. I had more responsibility in my supermarket job in the eighties than I do know where I have to follow processes which takes away rational thought in my current job.

In better news they had a piece on a working hoverboard. Costs $10,000 with a battery life of 6 minutes but they are looking into improving it. Marty McFly lives.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    When is the rest of season 3 airing?
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    jalal wrote: »
    When is the rest of season 3 airing?

I'm not sure if there will be a season 3- this was a one-off special.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure if there will be a season 3- this was a one-off special.

Noooooooooooooo!
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've watched THX 1138 before"

So Have I. I've got it on DVD. I've never seen Star Wars other than The Phantom Menace, but I do like THX1138.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    In the current edition of Click which you can watch on the iPlayer they announced an app which when you get in range of your home's wi-fi allows your phone to turn your kettle on. In previous programme there was another app which allows your home to note who has come into the home and turn on the heating in that person's room. So that technology is being used. They also had a gadget which can stir things like custard for you and a Japanese robot that can do cooking for you.

It was also an allegory about how mind-numbingly boring and repetitive work has become. I had more responsibility in my supermarket job in the eighties than I do know where I have to follow processes which takes away rational thought in my current job.

In better news they had a piece on a working hoverboard. Costs $10,000 with a battery life of 6 minutes but they are looking into improving it. Marty McFly lives.

That was my point though. They already had sufficient technology to automate the woman's house using conventional means, there was no need for her to have something implanted in her head for a week, undergo anaesthetic and have a copy of her personality 'suffering' when a couple of smartphone apps would have done the trick.
  • MacBurpMacBurp Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Scrovegni wrote: »
    That was my point though. They already had sufficient technology to automate the woman's house using conventional means, there was no need for her to have something implanted in her head for a week, undergo anaesthetic and have a copy of her personality 'suffering' when a couple of smartphone apps would have done the trick.

I think the point of making a carbon copy is that the copy will know what is required before the person will, making all that the carbon copy does automatic. No need to press any buttons on an app.

The only downside to this is because the copy is stuck in the house, how will it take account of changing tastes? A carbon copy taken at 30 would not be the same as the person at (say) 50.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,615
    Forum Member
    What I wanted to know is how the bread got put in the toaster automatically?