Options

Steps or S Club 7

Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Which was the better Girl/Boy band of the late 90s/early noughties

I like both but much prefer S Club 7s run of singles over Steps.

I do however think Steps had the better overall albums as S Club 7s albums were full of some real corny filler.

As for Jo's voice vs Claire's voice I prefer Jo's myself.

:cool:

Comments

• Options
    robjames69robjames69 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S Club were far cooler back in the day in comparrison.

Songs like Dont Stop Moving, Natural, Two In A Million and Love Aint Gonna Wait shit all over Steps
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robjames69 wrote: »
    S Club were far cooler back in the day in comparrison.

Songs like Dont Stop Moving, Natural, Two In A Million and Love Aint Gonna Wait shit all over Steps

Amen to that

The only S Club 7 single I find inferior to any of Steps singles is You're My Number One.

My faves are Never Had a Dream Come True, Don't Stop Movin', Reach & You. God what absolute perfect pop songs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steps will always be number 1, it sure is a tragedy if you think any different (harhar)
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I hated Steps but for some reason I loved Say You'll Be Mine. I always thought Steps were very fake. I was a massive S Club 7 fan though and I had all their singles and albums. I used to watch their TV show as well.
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hated Steps but for some reason I loved Say You'll Be Mine. I always thought Steps were very fake. I was a massive S Club 7 fan though and I had all their singles and albums. I used to watch their TV show as well.

i always used to think that about s club 7 to be honest.:D well to be fair, it was jo mainly that i thought was fake and putting on a stage persona. i always thought she was a bit rough really, so i wasn't surprise by the post group revelations to be honest.:blush: although, both groups had their issues behind the scenes, as it turns out.

i preferred steps and claire's voice too. jo's voice was too shouty for me and she hasn't maintained it over the years. some s club 7 singles were good, but the albums pretty ropey in places.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    S Club 7 for sure, Steps was mostly cheesy disco covers.
  • Options
    ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luner13 wrote: »
    As for Jo's voice vs Claire's voice I prefer Jo's myself.

I prefer Claire's. :p
  • Options
    tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both fookin' awful.
  • Options
    Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steps definitely....and Claire has a much better voice than Jo
  • Options
    Blackadder VBlackadder V Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S club, they were a little fun if I was in a "just go with it" mood but steps were just dire.
  • Options
    ImperfectPearlsImperfectPearls Posts: 1,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steps! I prefer Claire's voice over Jo's. I saw Steps on their reunion tour and they were fab. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steps definitely....and Claire has a much better voice than Jo

Listen to Jo's solo album Relentless.

Claire wishes she could sound that good.
  • Options
    FiercefanaticFiercefanatic Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S Club 7 for sure
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listen to Jo's solo album Relentless.

Claire wishes she could sound that good.

i honestly don't think claire wishes to be anything remotely alike jo.:D its not as if jo managed to maintain that voice over the years and it was hardly a successful solo attempt. jo was undoubtedly the best singer in s club 7, but i think she's remembered for all the wrong reasons now.:blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    i honestly don't think claire wishes to be anything remotely alike jo.:D its not as if jo managed to maintain that voice over the years and it was hardly a successful solo attempt. jo was undoubtedly the best singer in s club 7, but i think she's remembered for all the wrong reasons now.:blush:

Successful or not her voice sounds breathtakingly beautiful on that album.

I think most people have long forgotten the Shilpa Shetty thing.
  • Options
    Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's your opinion BUT I COMPLETE DISAGREE. S club 7 albums were solid bits of pop and were mostly fantastic. "7" album is wicked and still stands up today. Absolutely phenomenal album, every song there is 90s pop goodness WHO FEELS ME?

I love both bands but S club 7 has to be my fave. They were just a great band and a childhood classic. They had some great songs, and I loved the concept of the band, how they had their own TV shows and films. Not alot of bands do that!! So they were multi-talented in that sense. They must of worked so hard in those 5 years doing all of that as well. I would love to see a reunion, I'd actually cry so much!

I do love Steps, and their reunion was fantastic. But I can't say they were the better out of the two. There was something quite cheap about them, and the production on their songs was very cheesy and doesn't stand the test of time.
  • Options
    kieranyeah123kieranyeah123 Posts: 1,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S Club 7 without a doubt! I was 6 when they came out in 1999 and 10 when they split in 2003. I went to all three of their tours and like others have said, I'd make sure my Mum and Dad would record their TV shows. I still remember it being on at 4:30 on a Tuesday/Thursday on CBBC!

I'm certain they're getting back together next year. Rachel said they were in talks a few months ago, they tweeted each other about New Year drinks and Tina follows me on Twitter and I asked her whether there's any chance for next year and I got 'wait and see ;)' so I think they'll do a Steps and have their own show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Successful or not her voice sounds breathtakingly beautiful on that album.

I think most people have long forgotten the Shilpa Shetty thing.

in your opinion of course, i personally would never used those words to describe jo in any context.:D

i wouldn't be too sure about that.;-) people have long memories on issues like that and she possibly thought it was best not to chance her arm on another solo record.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S Club 7 without a doubt! I was 6 when they came out in 1999 and 10 when they split in 2003. I went to all three of their tours and like others have said, I'd make sure my Mum and Dad would record their TV shows. I still remember it being on at 4:30 on a Tuesday/Thursday on CBBC!

I'm certain they're getting back together next year. Rachel said they were in talks a few months ago, they tweeted each other about New Year drinks and Tina follows me on Twitter and I asked her whether there's any chance for next year and I got 'wait and see ;)' so I think they'll do a Steps and have their own show.

I can see an S Club 7 reunion being more successful than the Steps one actually they seem to have more appeal outwith the British Isles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i wouldn't be too sure about that.;-) people have long memories on issues like that and she possibly thought it was best not to chance her arm on another solo record.

She was dropped long before the whole Shilpa thing so I am sure it wasn't her choice not to release a second solo album after all its not an easy task for a dropped solo singer to get another deal with a major record label.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was dropped long before the whole Shilpa thing so I am sure it wasn't her choice not to release a second solo album after all its not an easy task for a dropped solo singer to get another deal with a major record label.

i just don't think she was that ambitious and lacked motivation to be honest. its not an easy task to get re-signed after being dropped, but other singers have managed to secure new deals with a bit of determination.

didn't three of them including jo do a nightclub tour in australia a while back? i remember seeing a clip on some breakfast tv show and the vocals were horrendous.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure all she needs is some serious vocal retraining which I am sure Claire Richards got before embarking on the Steps arena tour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am sure all she needs is some serious vocal retraining which I am sure Claire Richards got before embarking on the Steps arena tour.

claire did pstos prior to the reunion didn't she? this is what i mean, why hasn't jo done anything musically since her solo album? you would have thought she would have a least got herself up to speed enough before she performed on national tv in australia.:blush: although, to be fair, all three of them were atrocious from what i can remember.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire did pstos prior to the reunion didn't she? this is what i mean, why hasn't jo done anything musically since her solo album? you would have thought she would have a least got herself up to speed enough before she performed on national tv in australia.:blush: although, to be fair, all three of them were atrocious from what i can remember.:o

Probaly the simple fact she is skint and can't afford to get any proper training done to her vocal chords. The three probably get paid crap amounts to do those gigs. A full seven member reunion will produce more interest and more money will be involved as they'd likely do arenas instead of nightclubs.

I think Jo's voice will be back to its brilliant best once she has the exposure and means to get it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probaly the simple fact she is skint and can't afford to get any proper training done to her vocal chords. The three probably get paid crap amounts to do those gigs. A full seven member reunion will produce more interest and more money will be involved as they'd likely do arenas instead of nightclubs.

I think Jo's voice will be back to its brilliant best once she has the exposure and means to get it.

i think those nightclub gigs cheapened the brand somewhat, in australia at least. i remember there was a thread of here at the time and most people agreed the performances were bad.:blush: of course, a full group reunion would be more commercially viable, but they have a lot of work to do.:D

i disagree there. lots of previous pop stars have returned to the stage over the years and have not sounded that bad.:blush: "the voice" have showcased former stars and i would hardly call them minted with vocal coaches at their disposal.:D