The Ratings Thread (Part 8) (Merged)

Comments

• ScoreScore Posts: 17,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    If you compare their average audience from 20:00 to 22:45 last Friday to the average audience from 20:00 to 22:45 this Friday, I bet it'd be higher...

EDIT: Having just done it, I've got 3.8 million average from 20:00 to 22:45 last Friday* compared to 4.0 million for last night...

* going by 2.0 million for ITV News and 1.5 million for the first 30 minutes of King Kong at an estimate

Yep, but as they haven't lost out on their second Corrie, it's on Sunday instead, I'd say it was worthwhile overall, as when you take Corrie out, last week's average was only 2.9m. Instead, Corrie will get to boost the new Foyle's War on Sunday, which will be helpful for ITV as there hasn't been a new Foyle for two years. So actually a pretty decent result for them last night, 4m for the third showing of family film running until nearly 11pm is not to be sniffed at, especially when it dented EastEnders and Ashes To Ashes.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC1 running late, Total Wipeout is still on, which will affect the overnights tomorrow.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    How does Rugby Union normally rate on Sky Sports? This is a cracking game underway at the moment with Saints leading at the halfway point. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boh Total Wipeout and Doctor Who started 5 mins later than billed, and it looks like they'll be behind all evening, unless they can catch up a bit with Over The Rainbow, as it's live.
  • CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've spoken about the Commonwealth Games in this thread before. They could have a significant impact on the schedules given that in 2006 they took up 16 hours of BBC1's schedule every day.

The organising committee is still insisting they have sold the rights to the BBC...

http://www.indiantelevision.com/headlines/y2k10/mar/mar179.php

They have been saying this for about 2 years, despite the BBC saying they havn't.

There has been no acknowledgement from the BBC they will be showing them and the last I heard there is a real danger the games will be held in lockdown due to security fears, so where the BBC will base themselves if they do go is anyone's guess.

Birmingham was in the running for 2018. They would have actually won the games, had it not been for the Gold Coast in Australia making effectively the sole bid. That barred Birmingham, as you can only have 2 games in one region if no-one else bids.

At the last minute the Federation managed to convince someone to run against the Gold Coast - a town in Sri Lanka that has been devastated by the Tsunami and has around 0% chance of winning the bid. Perhaps a signal that the Games are losing popularity? In Canada they can't even get them shown on a proper channel at a good time. For Melbourne 2006 they had to give the rights away.

All the while Glasgow 2014 get more angry at the BBC, who (quite rightly) refuse to bid for the rights to that knowing that no-one else is interested. Glasgow 2014 somewhat arrogantly assumed the BBC would pay huge amounts for the TV rights and now have a deficit in the budget.

Should be interesting...
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mintbro wrote: »
    50 miles! i would not cope

Its a hundred miles, or thereabouts from where I am-infact I dont think there are many places further away. (from the sea)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Note that some programmes started later than build this evening for various reasons.

The overnights that will/should be posted at 10:00 tomorrow won't take into account late starts, Digital Spy's overnights (if they update) will. Below is a summary of the differences, and what it means for DS's overnights...:

Total Wipeout - 17:20 to 18:20 instead of 17:15 to 18:15
    Doctor Who - 18:20 to 19:00 instead of 18:15 to 19:00
    Over the Rainbow - 19:05 to 20:10 instead of 19:00 to 20:10
    Who Dares Wins - as build (I think)

Harry Potter - began at 19:05 instead of 19:00
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Note that some programmes started later than build this evening for various reasons.

The overnights that will/should be posted at 10:00 tomorrow won't take into account late starts, Digital Spy's overnights (if they update) will. Below is a summary of the differences, and what it means for DS's overnights...:

Total Wipeout - 17:20 to 18:20 instead of 17:15 to 18:15
    Doctor Who - 18:20 to 19:00 instead of 18:15 to 19:00
    Over the Rainbow - 19:05 to 20:10 instead of 19:00 to 20:10
    Who Dares Wins - as build (I think)

Harry Potter - began at 19:05 instead of 19:00

I think Harry Potter started at about 19:02/03, so I'd say the ratings posted in the morning will be accurate, as with it being 150 minutes long, starting 2-3 mins late isn't going to affect it. Anyway, some predictions:

Total Wipeout: 3.5m
    Doctor Who: 6.7m
    Over The Rainbow: 5.4m
    Who Dares Wins: 5.5m
    Casualty: 5.4m

FA Cup: 5.6m
    Harry Potter: 7.0m
    Life Stories: 3.5m

Speaking of Harry Potter, it's the third highest trending topic worldwide on Twitter (I think I've got that right). Whilst I know the relevance of this is questionable, I thought it was worth noting.
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    How does Rugby Union normally rate on Sky Sports? This is a cracking game underway at the moment with Saints leading at the halfway point. :D
    Talking of that, Sky3 are doing another free weekend next week, including a rugby game on Saturday night.
    Cent wrote: »
    We've spoken about the Commonwealth Games in this thread before. They could have a significant impact on the schedules given that in 2006 they took up 16 hours of BBC1's schedule every day.

The organising committee is still insisting they have sold the rights to the BBC...

http://www.indiantelevision.com/headlines/y2k10/mar/mar179.php

Agree Glasgow have been arrogant. Back to Delhi and wherever they end up it will roughly air 4am-4pm. but the games are struggling to bring in the biggest athletes, some with concerns over location but most not liking the timing and saying they can't train to peak in October (excuses, excuses). Usain Bolt not being present is a huge blow internationally, whilst domestically Jessica Ennis and possibly Rebecca Adlington snubbing the games is just as damaging.

I hope the BBC keep them as it would be petty to throw away that history and frankly minor sport on the BBC is getting less and less, so I think it's important it's not just the Olympics they show. If they didn't though they'd be a good signing for C4 as a warm up for being the Paralympic broadcaster, or even ITV4 (whether or not ITV1 got involved - well, I doubt it!). And the rights are pretty much a bargain too - I doubt these would be worth much more than £3m-£5m (with Glasgow worth more), while the Olympics rights for 2010/12 cost £71m.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Talking of that, Sky3 are doing another free weekend next week, including a rugby game on Saturday night.

Agree Glasgow have been arrogant. Back to Delhi and wherever they end up it will roughly air 4am-4pm. but the games are struggling to bring in the biggest athletes, some with concerns over location but most not liking the timing and saying they can't train to peak in October (excuses, excuses). Usain Bolt not being present is a huge blow internationally, whilst domestically Jessica Ennis and possibly Rebecca Adlington snubbing the games is just as damaging.

I hope the BBC keep them as it would be petty to throw away that history and frankly minor sport on the BBC is getting less and less, so I think it's important it's not just the Olympics they show. If they didn't though they'd be a good signing for C4 as a warm up for being the Paralympic broadcaster, or even ITV4 (whether or not ITV1 got involved - well, I doubt it!). And the rights are pretty much a bargain too - I doubt these would be worth much more than £3m-£5m (with Glasgow worth more), while the Olympics rights for 2010/12 cost £71m.
    I guess the big issue is the cost of covering it.

And the Commonwealth Games are still protected enough to require one of the big five to provide coverage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonathan Ross - 23 April...

Demi Moore
    Robert Downey Jr
    Gwyneth Paltrow
    Louis Spence :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Demi Moore
    Robert Downey Jr
    Gwyneth Paltrow

Wrong thread? ;)
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Demi Moore
    Robert Downey Jr
    Gwyneth Paltrow

The guy from Pineapple Studios? Scraping the barrel a bit isn't he? (EDIT: I mean Jonathan Ross is scraping the barrel - not Louis Spence :p)

Harry Potter did ok last night. The soaps were low, as was Ashes to Ashes. As the summer hits, I think the ratings will continue to decrease somewhat.

There's a bit of stupidity from the BBC schedulers on Tuesday isn't there?

BBC1 9pm: Panorama - based on Alder Hey Children's Hospital
    BBC2 9pm: Great Ormond Street Hospital

Why are they airing two shows regarding the same subjcet matter alongside each other? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »

Why are they airing two shows regarding the same subjcet matter alongside each other? :rolleyes:

So they can dent each other, meaning The Bill should win its slot? ;):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So they can dent each other, meaning The Bill should win its slot? ;):D

They're too kind to ITV1 sometimes. :D
  • Taz93Taz93 Posts: 13,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How does Coach trip at 5pm do?
  • gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That is... extraordinary! :eek:

I mean it really does take some balls to do something as stupid as that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charlotte Church to replace Jonathan Ross?

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/showbiz/778832/BBC-set-to-offer-Charlotte-Church-multi-million-pound-chat-show.html

Personally I would do everything I could to get Alan Carr. His chat show is very funny and he could easily slide into the Friday night schedule on BBC1.

I can't see anyone else on the horizon that could directly do what Jonathan did.
  • gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/showbiz/778832/BBC-set-to-offer-Charlotte-Church-multi-million-pound-chat-show.html

Personally I would do everything I could to get Alan Carr. His chat show is very funny and he could easily slide into the Friday night schedule on BBC1.

I can't see anyone else on the horizon that could directly do what Jonathan did.
    I thought he was golden handcuffs with Channel 4?
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't see the need to replace him. Chat shows are pretty much over rated and it's better really to let them develop naturally in someone's career, rather than just doing one for the sake of it.

Alan Carr is nearly as overrated as Jonathan Ross, but Charlotte's Church show was actually quite good on C4 as they let her do it her way rather than making her host a bog-standard traditional chat show, as I'd imagine the BBC would do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought Charlotte Church had a chat show before and it didn't rate well? :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Charlotte Church had a chat show before and it didn't rate well? :o
    It did as well as any other Channel 4 entertainment show - if not a bit better.

She won a few comedy awards for it too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gottago wrote: »
    I thought he was golden handcuffs with Channel 4?
    Ends in December. He's rumoured to be "in talks" now.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I would do everything I could to get Alan Carr. His chat show is very funny and he could easily slide into the Friday night schedule on BBC1..
    are you kidding, that would mean the BBC has learnt nothing from Jonathan Ross.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't be easier just to move The Graham Norton Show to Fridays? I wouldn't be surprised if they are considering doing chatshow pilots, Michael McIntyre and Dara O'Briain would be obvious choices although I would go for Dara as he's a great at talking to people as evident in his standup.
This discussion has been closed.