Sky to introduce new HD EPG system

Comments

• CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange. I just selected 143 a number of times and went back by pressing the channel minus button and every time got 140.
  • derek39derek39 Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    Sky is reportedly preparing to launch a separate electronic programme guide (EPG) numbering system for high definition homes, as a way to boost HD channel usage.

According to Broadcast, the new approach will see the satellite broadcaster introduce a 'HD Swap Bouquet' alongside its 'Standard Bouquet' of channels.

The system, due to go live on February 1 next year, will mean that HD channels can swap positions with their SD counterparts to move further up the EPG.

Sky hopes that the approach will ensure that Sky+ HD subscribers always make use of HD channels where they are available, rather than just watching SD versions.

For example, the HD Swap Bouquet will mean that Sky1 HD will shift from position 170 on the EPG to 106, where the SD channel currently sits.

Sky customers will get access to the HD Swap Bouquet if they subscribe to at least one HD channel. Broadcasters will be able to opt out of the system before it comes into force, but they will have to contact Sky first.
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • derek39derek39 Posts: 256
    Forum Member
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this all they have to worry about doing, maybe they should be using their time to fix bugs in the EPG.

Totally pointless.
  • TUCKBOXTUCKBOX Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Is this all they have to worry about doing, maybe they should be using their time to fix bugs in the EPG.

Totally pointless.

I don't think it's pointless. I have lost count of how many times my wife has recorded something in SD instead of HD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TUCKBOX wrote: »
    I don't think it's pointless. I have lost count of how many times my wife has recorded something in SD instead of HD.

Never ever done this, I dont understand how anyone can do this. 90% of my viewing is in HD now so only use the HD list to add programs to planner.

I hope this change is not going to mean them downloading new software.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,329
    Forum Member
    Never ever done this, I dont understand how anyone can do this. 90% of my viewing is in HD now so only use the HD list to add programs to planner.

I would certainly expect them to - but, as always, such an update will also include various 'bug fixes' as well (and probably add a few new ones).
  • ClatterClatter Posts: 426
    Forum Member

Because the majority of people have now spent many years punching in 101 to receive BBC1, 103 for ITV etc. etc. We now have the inconvenience of having to remember a second set of numbers for the same channels, or extra searching in the EPG and this will only get worse the more channels that are added. It makes perfect sense to be able to move the HD channels to their well known position in the EPG.

This is something that I'm really looking forward to and can't come quickly enough. The only thing that would be better is being able to reorder the channels completely as could be done in the analogue days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member

I never do this either but the wife does, all the time.
  • archie2000archie2000 Posts: 274
    Forum Member

Totally pointless.

Of course its not. If you have paid out for HD why wouldn't you want to watch HD versions of key channels like BBC 1, ITV1, C4, C5, Sky1, etc. Makes it easier to quickly locate them without having to remember channel numbers or carry out multiple button presses for favourites or going into the EPG.
    This is something that I'm really looking forward to and can't come quickly enough. The only thing that would be better is being able to reorder the channels completely as could be done in the analogue days.

Totally agree, that is something I have always missed. At least you can do this on Freeview.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ALL of my family do this, and my girlfriend. I'm the only one who is bothered about HD and most of the time they just say they "don't care"!

I'm sure many people will appreciate this, I certainly will as it'll stop me telling my dad to change over to channel 408 :)
  • lozloz Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think it is more to do with overcoming the problem of when people are channel surfing, and will routinely start at 101 and surf up.
    They stop when they find something of interest, not when they find the HD version of the something of interest.

Because the numbering of SD and HD versions is non-sensical, the HD version may be dozens of channels away from the SD version, and hence they never get to it without having found something of interest on an SD channel inbetween.

So for example, it makes a huge amount of sense that 143, 178 and 140 replace 101, 103, 104 in people's EPGs, in order to remedy that.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cric2k wrote: »
    I never do this either but the wife does, all the time.

+1 My Mrs does it nearly every time and swears blind she set it in HD ;):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loz wrote: »
    I think it is more to do with overcoming the problem of when people are channel surfing, and will routinely start at 101 and surf up.
    They stop when they find something of interest, not when they find the HD version of the something of interest.

Because the numbering of SD and HD versions is non-sensical, the HD version may be dozens of channels away from the SD version, and hence they never get to it without having found something of interest on an SD channel inbetween.

So for example, it makes a huge amount of sense that 143, 178 and 140 replace 101, 103, 104 in people's EPGs, in order to remedy that.

My point was they can spend time doing this but cant spend time fixing various bugs and adding back missing features.

Anyone who uses their sky box on a regular basis to watch and record stuff knows the channel numbers. No dissrespect intended to anyone who records SD instead of HD but I find it unbelievable that people would do this. You guys need to sort your women out ;)

I only watch the local news on BBC so as now I can keep it on 101 and get the news in the future I will have to change channels.
  • essess Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    if someone decides to stop subscribing to the hd pack does that mean that their epg will go back to having the sd version of sky1 at 106 etc?
  • swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek39 wrote: »
    Sky is reportedly preparing to launch a separate electronic programme guide (EPG) numbering system for high definition homes, as a way to boost HD channel usage.

According to Broadcast, the new approach will see the satellite broadcaster introduce a 'HD Swap Bouquet' alongside its 'Standard Bouquet' of channels.

The system, due to go live on February 1 next year, will mean that HD channels can swap positions with their SD counterparts to move further up the EPG.

Sky hopes that the approach will ensure that Sky+ HD subscribers always make use of HD channels where they are available, rather than just watching SD versions.

For example, the HD Swap Bouquet will mean that Sky1 HD will shift from position 170 on the EPG to 106, where the SD channel currently sits.

Sky customers will get access to the HD Swap Bouquet if they subscribe to at least one HD channel. .
    Broadcasters will be able to opt out of the system before it comes into force, but they will have to contact Sky first

So it won't be a full swap, some are bound to opt out, BBC1 and ITV being the main two I would have thought, they won't want the backlash of people ringing them asking what has happned to LOOK EAST/NORTH/WEST whatever and the same with ITV and the regional news.
    When I watch ITVHD I have to go back to 103 for the local news.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ess wrote: »
    if someone decides to stop subscribing to the hd pack does that mean that their epg will go back to having the sd version of sky1 at 106 etc?
    That's correct.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would certainly expect them to - but, as always, such an update will also include various 'bug fixes' as well (and probably add a few new ones).

Thinking about it I dont think a software update will be necessary, it will be no different then them adding channels and changing numbers like they do now, it will just list then in a different order for HD customers.
  • tintin Posts: 1,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So when the hell are they going to remove the HD channels from the EPG lineup on non-HD boxes? Or is it just a very cheap and annoying marketing ploy?

Ahh forget that, I just answered my own question.
    Forum Member
    tin wrote: »
    So when the hell are they going to remove the HD channels from the EPG lineup on non-HD boxes? Or is it just a very cheap and annoying marketing ploy?

Ahh forget that, I just answered my own question.

The most annoying thing for me is when you are trying to check what's on the likes of History HD on your SD Multiroom box EPG so you can potentially chuck the missus/kids off the HD box and you can't do it as the EPG only has a message to ring sky to upgrade :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Totally pointless.

1million people watched X Factor in HD last night. How many people do you think can tune into ITV HD in this country?

it's absolutely worth doing for obvious reasons as already said in this thread.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    This move makes complete sense and I hope every TV broadcaster this may affect decides to stay opted in, there are probably then's if not hundred's of thousand of Sky subscribers thinking they are watching HD when in fact they aren't cos they don't know what channel the HD variants are on.

It will for one save me the pain of having to tell the wife the channel number to use each and every time she wants to switch to an HD channel like ITV or BBC. This is smartest most obvious move Sky will ever make with HD, well apart from dropping the £10 a month sub...
  • archie2000archie2000 Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    swills wrote: »
    Broadcasters will be able to opt out of the system before it comes into force, but they will have to contact Sky first

So it won't be a full swap, some are bound to opt out, BBC1 and ITV being the main two I would have thought, they won't want the backlash of people ringing them asking what has happned to LOOK EAST/NORTH/WEST whatever and the same with ITV and the regional news.
    When I watch ITVHD I have to go back to 103 for the local news.

Thats quite a good point actually, unless there are plans afoot by the broadcasters to introduce regional HD transmissions by then. Probably not mind you......... :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    archie2000 wrote: »
    Thats quite a good point actually, unless there are plans afoot by the broadcasters to introduce regional HD transmissions by then. Probably not mind you......... :rolleyes:

Nope ITV will be broadcasting 1950's SD content on ITV16 HD by then so there will be no space left for regional HD channels :D