Options

Increase in upload speed coming

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    I'm sure it will sort itself out soon enough. The schedule said January anyway.

It looks like they've issued upgrade config files without everything being up to the mark in my segment of the network. Not surprising to me as upstream has been poor from day 1 (April for me) and I don't see max speeds in peak periods which others do so I'm guessing my segment is borderline overloaded.
  • Options
    Fred SmithFred Smith Posts: 3,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would appear that my L band broadband upload speed has been upgraded in the last 48 hours from 512kb to 1.02 Mb/s. It also looks like my IP address has changed also.
    I have a Reading Postcode and I believe Wokingham is where the main server is.

Hope this helps others as it was a complete surprise to me.I check my speeds regularly.The previous reading was on the 30th Nov and registered at 0.48. Mb/s.

I am on cable.

Also in Reading, the PDF shows January 2011, but seems to have happened already, just powercycled my modem:

IP address has stayed the same.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1056922219.png

Should improve the performance of my two Slingboxes.

Happy Christmas to VM.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had the new upload speed in Darlington for the last few months, but its always maxed out around 2.8 Mbits (On XXL). Today its gone up to 4.6 Mbits,

Wonder if its traffic managed for a while before enabling the full speed?
  • Options
    monkeyhanger09monkeyhanger09 Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    same here in hartlepool, they didnt realease the full speed untill the network upgrade was completed , until the xxl tier was restricted xl was ok if on docsis 3 not sure about xl on docsis 2 though as that was 2mb upload now the 50 mb tier gets 4.8-4.9 its pretty consistant which is all good

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1061580845.png
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    Spoke to my mate who is taking part in the 100mb trial, VM told him that 100mb service will be 10mb upload (will match top BT service) and 50mb service will go to 5mb upload. No news on 20mb or 10mb service.

Also as expect, 100mb will be higher price, engineer said he didn't know how much higher but not a major increase and he thinks the 50mb to drop slightly. There will be a one off charge for the new media hub.

I would also expect caps on the 50mb service to encourage people to upgrade.

However I understand that BT will be offering higher uploads to what Virgin is offering on its 100Mbps package. A step in the right direction but will still be behind BT in the long term!
  • Options
    BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    Markjuk wrote: »
    However I understand that BT will be offering higher uploads to what Virgin is offering on its 100Mbps package. A step in the right direction but will still be behind BT in the long term!
    Source for that?
  • Options
    The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The amount of people wanting more than 10Mbps upload would surely be less than the amount of people wanting 100Mb download. 10Mbps upload is dam fast, even heavy gamers dont need half of that.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've been upgraded to 2Mbs upload speed on the 20Mb package here in NW4. :)

K
  • Options
    Nick_2005Nick_2005 Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hoping it's permanent, but as of 6am this morning seems like Haringey North London has been upgraded

didn't touch my modem, just noticed that my upload was twice as fast so checked it on speedtest too.

http://img216.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=79557_netmeter_122_61lo.jpg

1072664170.png

Nice while it lasts :)
  • Options
    Brush MasterBrush Master Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Acton (acto) coming up as we speak...
    Christmas early. Nice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    Nick_2005 wrote: »
    They are past trials and into implementation - I reckon that if you have it you'll be keeping it. My area was upgraded earlier than the schedule said too.
  • Options
    Nick_2005Nick_2005 Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    They are past trials and into implementation - I reckon that if you have it you'll be keeping it. My area was upgraded earlier than the schedule said too.

Good to know. Thanks :)
  • Options
    bamberbamber Posts: 1,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wigan only scheduled for February, but i am getting 5mb upload speeds, in fact nearer to 6mb.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    Same here, Knowsley meant to be January 11th but we got it now :D
  • Options
    LeehamLeeham Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stockton on Tees upgraded as well (M) and I believe we were scheduled for Jan 11th.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Linlithgow upgraded last night, we were down for July :D
  • Options
    womblerwombler Posts: 858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brighton (BN1) now has higher upload speeds.

Way to go Virgin !

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1073612473.png
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    was reading last night on other forums that Wigan And Bournmouth now upgraded to 5 mb upload ( was Feb 2011 and June 2011)

now Lincoln getting 5 mb upload ( May 2011 )
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1074961424.png

i Think Santa's Helping out with Upgrades
  • Options
    Freeview_ViewerFreeview_Viewer Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,713
    Forum Member
    Harrogate area (and maybe others round here including Leeds?) upgraded now; a month early!! :D
  • Options
    Jay-CeeJay-Cee Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick_2005 wrote: »
    Hoping it's permanent, but as of 6am this morning seems like Haringey North London has been upgraded

didn't touch my modem, just noticed that my upload was twice as fast so checked it on speedtest too.

http://img216.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=79557_netmeter_122_61lo.jpg

1072664170.png

What? :( my cable is at dalston and dalston and harringey was schedule for march :( please virgin just move east wards to fix dalston thank you
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    it says wigan will get upgrade in feb 2011 but i checked my speed today and the 50mb already has the 5mb upload or there abouts

1076928361.png
  • Options
    Skylover4lifeSkylover4life Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My area on the PDF says "Being planned" so guess it will be on of the last places to get it, just like BT Infinity!
  • Options
    chris2k2chris2k2 Posts: 9,886
    Forum Member
    I'm in NW here, but just done a check today and still on 500K upload.

Maybe it's random.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1084305350.png
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 256
    Forum Member