Eastenders - HD looks like SD

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
Forum Member
What is up with the HD broadcasts of Eastenders? It looks the same as it did the weeks before the Christmas episode! Have they not seen the picture quality of Corrie or Hollyoaks?

This is meant to be a 'flagship' BBC program and it certainly has no Wow factor when it comes to the picture. Whether your a fan or an occasional viewer (like me) surely nobody thinks the switch to HD is any better - it looks marginal to me.

Comments

• dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    Type52 wrote: »
    What is up with the HD broadcasts of Eastenders? It looks the same as it did the weeks before the Christmas episode! Have they not seen the picture quality of Corrie or Hollyoaks?

This is meant to be a 'flagship' BBC program and it certainly has no Wow factor when it comes to the picture. Whether your a fan or an occasional viewer (like me) surely nobody thinks the switch to HD is any better - it looks marginal to me.
    I do!
    I have been watching EastEnders on BBC1 HD since xmas day and last night had to watch it on BBC1 (due to that being the one i recorded by mistake)
    and noticed a big differance.

Someone in the soap forum compared scenes in HD and SD and you can see a differeance

The sound quality is much better and the Picture is very clear and has quite a bit of colour in it too.

At times the SD had fuzzy dots during the odd scene
    but with HD there's none of that and the show looks good
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's as good as it could be. Outdoor scenes look good but studio ones look dark and washed out. Would have thought any problems would have been sorted before the broadcast because they've been using the cameras for a while now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    DAN2008
    I looked at that thread in the Soap forum and the comparison pictures were taken off of iplayer !

Yes there was a difference as you would expect on a PC or Mac when it is recalibrated but on my 40 inch Sony Bravia TV it looked very poor HD compared to the sharpness that the other soaps I mentioned. Have they not used they best cameras or it still upscaled SD?
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I noticed it didn't look great. Hollyoaks and Coronation Street are much sharper. Parts of Eastenders still look upscaled.
  • mrMickmrMick Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doesnt look that good to me... little different to the SD broadcast to my eyes... poor show aunty beeb.... in more ways than one ;)
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    Eastenders is a waste of bandwidth, regardless of how many pixels its shown in. :p:D
  • Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    The comparison screenshots as said, Were on iPlayer and the difference is much wider because of the internet compression in flash.

On the TV is another story, It's nothing in comparison to Corrie or Channel 4 Soaps.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    its mostly down to the bbc not using enough bandwidth, saving money on bandwidth allows them to give bigger bonuses to the top brass!
  • TrevorTrevor Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    Not been impressed with any of it all over the xmas period. Agree with Type52 , Eastenders looks "upscaled" .. Even ITV channels on HD don,t look that impressive.
  • wildmovieguywildmovieguy Posts: 8,342
    Forum Member
    They could have filmed a lot of the interior stuff in advance so maybe the odd scene is upscaled.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Outdoor scenes look ok but still inferior to Corrie. Indoor scenes I thought were upscaled.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    In my opinion, if there's a need to debate whether or not a programme is being transmitted in HD, then the broadcaster has already failed. As other posters have hinted, there's no comparison between the quality of high definition broadcasts of Coronation Street and Eastenders. There's no need to discuss whether or not Corrie's being transmitted in HD - it is blindingly obvious. I've been looking forward to Eastenders in HD since BBC 1HD started and couldn't believe how poor the Christmas Day broadcast quality was. The opening credits (the aerial view of London) could have been made to look stunning in HD. I'd just put it down to the BBC sending us an upscaled feed by mistake. Subsequent episodes have been no better however. I just wonder why the need to spend so much time and energy upgrading the sets!
    With respect to 'loopie', I don't agree it's a simple matter of limited bandwidth, as the Christmas Day episodes of Doctor Who and Strictly were more than good enough for my jaded eyes!
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loopie wrote: »
    its mostly down to the bbc not using enough bandwidth, saving money on bandwidth allows them to give bigger bonuses to the top brass!

It's in the production not the bandwidth. If bandwidth was a problem, Upstairs Downstairs would not look as good as it does.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    BBC 1 HD is not HD. The BBC transmit 1440x1080 pixels where as every other UK broadcaster uses 1920x1080. They had to do this in order to squeeze 4 channels on the B mutiplex on freeview. The BBC also use a very low bit rate which also reduces picture quality. The quality difference is obvious is you switch between Sky Sports and BBC One HD.
  • TrinitronHDTrinitronHD Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC 1 HD is not HD.
    :yawn: Yes, yes, we've heard that before.
  • johnny7johnny7 Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    Type52 wrote: »
    What is up with the HD broadcasts of Eastenders?
    You could well ask 'What is up with the HD broadcasts of the BBC?'. For some background see here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2010/06/picture_quality_on_bbc_hd_a_vi.html
    loopie wrote: »
    Actually, as you can read in the above link, Stephen Baily (Acting Head of Distribution Technology), stated that 'cost of bandwidth is not a significant factor in reducing bit-rates. This was not the reason BBC HD bit-rates were reduced'. Indeed, the BBC actually wasted money by buying the bandwidth on Astra then slashing bitrates from 19Mbps to 9.7Mbps leaving the 'spare' bandwidth broadcasting null packets, i.e. empty space. http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2010/02/the_arrival_of_freeview_hd.html?postId=92749757#comment_92749757
    derek500 wrote: »
    It's in the production not the bandwidth.
    One of the areas covered in the aforementioned long-running dabate, and raised by the viewers visit to BBC TV Centre, was the issue of production techniques, styles, and types of cameras, however, as trevorharris says:
    The BBC transmit 1440x1080 pixels where as every other UK broadcaster uses 1920x1080. They had to do this in order to squeeze 4 channels on the B mutiplex on freeview. The BBC also use a very low bit rate which also reduces picture quality. The quality difference is obvious is you switch between Sky Sports and BBC One HD.

For more background to this long-running issue see here: http://www.zen97962.zen.co.uk/

john
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC 1 HD is not HD. The BBC transmit 1440x1080 pixels where as every other UK broadcaster uses 1920x1080

ITV1 HD broadcasts two of its four regions in 1440x1080 and Corrie looks as good* as on the 1920x1080 versions.

* if you analyse an indivual frame, you may see a difference, but the difference between Corrie and EE is evident in a two second glance!!
  • crunchiecrunchie Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which of the 4 ITV-HD feeds are of the higher bitrate?

I watched the HD broadcast of EastEnders on BBC-HD last night and it was better quality than the earlier broadcast on BBC1-HD. Are they using a reduced quality for BBC1-HD compared to BBC-HD?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crunchie wrote: »
    Which of the 4 ITV-HD feeds are of the higher bitrate?

They're the same bitrate. It's the resolution that's different. Granada and Central are 1920x1080 and London and Meridian are 1440x1080.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    They're the same bitrate. It's the resolution that's different. Granada and Central are 1920x1080 and London and Meridian are 1440x1080.

If thats the case, why don't they look super fat?

Edit: Said skinny, got my h and w mixed up!
  • Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    teh wrote: »
    If thats the case, why don't they look super fat?

Edit: Said skinny, got my h and w mixed up!

They'll squish the 1920 width to 1440, Then broadcast it, And then your box will unsquish it back to 1920.
  • AyceAyce Posts: 1,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say I think all HD broadcasters are reducing quailty.....

When I started watching HD ( about 12 months ago ) it was jaw dropping wow but now its what I would expect a picture to be on a HQ SD broadcast. OK I may be getting used to it and I dont have a blueray to match it too but it would not supprise me that the broad casters are doing this to squeeze every drop out.

Problem here imho how do you measure the quality of the product ? After all its a bit subjective as its changes from person to person plus mb is not a good measure either.

T
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    I have to agree.

It does look better than upscaled, but I don't feel it's anywhere near the HD quality that I'm used to watching.

Hope you're reading this thread BBC.

p.s. Your subtitles were out of sync on yesterday's HD broadcast of EE. It was fine on SD. I had to record a repeat...
  • scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't agree more about Eastenders versus Coronation Street comparisons.

There is a poll about BBC HD picture quality here:
    http://hdcampaign.kk5.org/
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Immediately after the Christmas Day transmission I posted on the ratings thread asking IF it was really in HD. As the BBC had said so but it looked so poor.

I was told in reply that the BBC said it was HD so it was.

This seems to be how the BBC are successfully pulling the wool over many eyes.

It is patently obvious how poor it is to anyone who has been watching HD for years (including the previously excellent BBC HD channel - which was so good at launch in 2006 that Sky had to up its bit rates when the beeb for free were showing up the £10 pm commercial channel).

Those days are long gone as whatever the BBC might try to pretend their view of what constitutes HD is several notches down from what it would be if there were subscribers at stake,

This is what would be true with Sky if the people wanting an end to the £10 pm sub get their wish.

No sub = no incentive to spend money maximising your PQ for fear it will drive people away.

The BBC has a captive but technically 'free' (licence fee arguments aside) audience so if they supply what might tacitly qualify as HD thats it,