Unusual Funerals.

ee-ayee-ay Posts: 3,963
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My son is attending a funeral next week, the lady was his college mentor, she was his shoulder to cry on from 16 to current age 21

Sadly she died last week due to Leukaemia. My son has been invited to the funeral. Her last instructions from her family are for all mourners to attend dressed as a Punk Rockers. My son is to call into the chapel of rest this weekend with her family, friends and love ones to sign her unvarnished coffin with graffiti. No flowers are requested, she wants items from joke shops instead. She was in her mid 50's

When my son visited her in hospital a few weeks ago when she had seriously got worse, he told me she went out for a cigarette and pulled out a foot long penis lighter.

What a remarkable and much loved lady.

Comments

• Fanny HammockFanny Hammock Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    My son is attending a funeral next week, the lady was his college mentor, she was his shoulder to cry on from 16 to current age 21

Sadly she died last week due to Leukaemia. My son has been invited to the funeral. Her last instructions from her family are for all mourners to attend dressed as a Punk Rockers. My son is to call into the chapel of rest this weekend with her family, friends and love ones to sign her unvarnished coffin with graffiti. No flowers are requested, she wants items from joke shops instead. She was in her mid 50's

When my son visited her in hospital a few weeks ago when she had seriously got worse, he told me she went out for a cigarette and pulled out a foot long penis lighter.

What a remarkable and much loved lady.

God, that sounds absolutely terrible.

Well, one person's " remarkable Lady " is another person's " royal pain-in-the-butt " .

However, I'm all for people being wacky and CarAzEEEE, but when someone stipulates that they want a Rocky Horror Show themed funeral I do wonder if they are taking a last opportunity to stick two fingers up at convention and protocol [ and maybe certain family members too ] .

It robs family and friends the opportunity of a formal public display of solemnity and mourning, OK, it's their wish for there to be no sadness but it doesn't sit well with me at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well, one person's " remarkable Lady " is another person's " royal pain-in-the-butt " .

However, I'm all for people being wacky and CarAzEEEE, but when someone stipulates that they want a Rocky Horror Show themed funeral I do wonder if they are taking a last opportunity to stick two fingers up at convention and protocol [ and maybe certain family members too ] .

It robs family and friends the opportunity of a formal public display of solemnity and mourning, OK, it's their wish for there to be no sadness but it doesn't sit well with me at all.

Sadness and mourning are just that, you can't switch them on and off. I would respect the lady's wishes rather than dwell on her motives.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my aunts funeral was your bog standard crematorium jobbie until the coffin went behind the curtain to the tune of 'They're Coming To Take ME Away'. Only her kids knew about it as she had always talked about having it at her funeral so they went for it. The whole place was in fits in laughter which was a nice way to finish.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    One of my aunts funeral was your bog standard crematorium jobbie until the coffin went behind the curtain to the tune of 'They're Coming To Take ME Away'. Only her kids knew about it as she had always talked about having it at her funeral so they went for it. The whole place was in fits in laughter which was a nice way to finish.

That is pure genius! I love that! My mum insists that she wants 'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life' which I also think will be good, but your aunt's song... genius! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unusual/fun funerals sound a good idea to me. I know someone who had the hearse packed with balloons, so that when they lifted the boot to bring out the coffin, the balloons all went up in the air.

It is a good idea to make light of death because lets face it, it is the hardest thing in the world to comprehend.It must help relatives in the longrun to be able to have smiley memories of the funeral. :)
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    I think she sounded like a great character OP. :D I think funerals should reflect a person's character. Nothing worse than sitting through a bog standard service that could have been about anyone.
  • LilolemeLiloleme Posts: 5,839
    Forum Member
    My cousins Granddad had "Ring of Fire" when the coffin went behind the curtains at his funeral.

I don't think it was a good choice as it wasn't a "joke" thing and it was all just really surreal.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My father-in-laws mate planned his own funeral when he knew he was terminal. He had everyone sing Always look on The Bright Side of Life and the coffin went out to I'm Sitting on Top of The World.

My husband and I have discussed this. He is going out to Disco Inferno!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D I think it's great! Nothing wrong with sticking two fingers up at convention and protocol with your last dying act! The people that know her and truly love her probably think it's hilarious, as they would've known she was like that in life. The people that complain about it are the people that just came along.

I'm all for things like that. I want everyone to wear pink dresses at mine. Might as well annoy some homophobes with my last wish!!
  • fainéantfainéant Posts: 2,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In all such performances the deceased is of course an extra (nonspeaking, nonsinging or nondancing part) and it may well give the audience a grin but remember that the last laugh is on you! :)
  • MamboJimboMamboJimbo Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strok wrote: »
    :D I think it's great! Nothing wrong with sticking two fingers up at convention and protocol with your last dying act!
    Beat me to it :D

Convention only exists to have two fingers - or even one - stuck up to it at every available opportunity.
  • TiggergirlTiggergirl Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it being memorable or unusual isn't a bad thing. My dad died suddenly in May this year and while to a point the service was mostly traditional the eulogy given had everyone in tears of laughter rather than sadness. This came about as my dad was a funeral director himself for 20 years and had seen his fair share of sadness and grief and didn't want the same when he went and that is what everyone said about him and everyone who worked with him the other directors ministers etc were able to plan the funeral so easily which actually made a stressful and traumatic time easier. He used to joke about it himself and what he didn't want rather than what he did.

The local paper even reported on it because he was well thought of and because it was seen as so unusal and nice to have happy memories at a funeral instead of just the solemnity. I can look back on that now and smile and think that was how he was and that is what a funeral is about remembering the person.

My dad told me plenty of tales of strange and odd requests at funerals over the years believe me there is some things that you would struggle to believe that do happen.

Speaking personally having the more unusal funeral has made it easier in the months following my dads death as he was such a lively person it makes it easier to remember him that way rather than dwelling on the sad aspect of the funeral. Having been around this growing up I wouldn't have changed the way my dads funeral was for anything only that it hadn't happened and I still had my dad.
  • PrincessChloePrincessChloe Posts: 269
    Forum Member

^ What she said.

My mum had an unusual funeral, it wasn't wacky or eccentric but she had a woodland burial, it was very relaxed and had almost a pagan feel to it. Lots of nature, everything was natural right down the the wicker coffin. We released doves and stuff.

If you hate graveyards and I did, so did mum, I strongly recommend a woodland burial.

They had a brochure which offered "Funeral dancers", heaven knows what they are...
  • Rose BuddRose Budd Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to a work colleagues about 6 years ago. He was a sales rep, a great guy and when he shook your hand always left a chocolate eclair sweet. At the crematorium his kids went up the aisles handing out chocolate eclairs and he went through the curtains to 'Cigarettes, Whisky and Wild Wild Women.

Suited him perfectly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    Sadly i went to my best friends funeral a couple of weeks ago, but the funeral was everything she was in life unique and witty......

She arrived on the back of a motor bike, was carried in by some strapping rugby players to the tune of lean on me, as sung by the staff and patients of the hospice she did a lot of charity work for. myself and her twin both spoke about her raising a few laughs! the middle song was sung by the lead singer of a local band that she did photography for ( it was beautiful and one of her fave songs by her fave artists. Everlong by Foo fighters) and at the end as we were leaving the song played was pinks 'get the party started'.... which we did, there was a party straight after at the local rugby club!!

And everyone wore bright colours... she didnt want dark colours she was a party girl!
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Any funeral I have ever been to has been the traditional serious and morbid church service rather than any celebration of life :( I think I would prefer my funeral to be a bit "different" and more a celebration of my life than a morbid church service with everyone dressed in black and weeping.
  • TiggergirlTiggergirl Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well from my dads stories of work memories some things stood out like for the songs they used to get asked to play atcremations which is fine some of the ones that stood out for him were

Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life
    Smoke Gets In Your Eyes
    If I Knew You Were Coming I'd Have Baked A Cake
    Another One Bites The Dust
    Disco Inferno
    Probably numerous others that I can't remember just now but there are a couple there when you put it in the context of a crematorium environment that make them funnier and more unusual.

My dads funeral whilst the music was not wacky in that sense was not the traditional sad songs it was all quite lively and again not what you would expect. The main thing his ex colleagues wanted and the minister and I guess us because he wasn't a sad person and well given he worked in that industry he had a wicked sense of humour to survive it and that was reflected in the funeral.

While yes I appreciate most people do want the solemnity and the seriousness I think it has to reflect the person you are remembering and well if it means unusual then so be it.
  • SadeyedSadeyed Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have told my son (who hates Man United) that I am having Glory Glory Man Utd at my funeral, and leaving instructions that if he doesn't sing it he is written out of the will! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    My husband and I have discussed this. He is going out to Disco Inferno!
    Nice one.

My choice is the 1974 Hudson-Ford classic Burn Baby Burn.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I went to an Orthodox funeral where the coffin was open and the deceased head was propped up on a pillow like he was watching proceedings.

Everyone filled past the corpse at the end and kissed his forehead (or whatever)

I just touched his hand.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    My husband wants "Going on up to the spirit in the sky"