Retail Workers - What do customers do that annoys you? (Part 3)

Comments

• hobbleithobbleit Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cessna wrote: »
    Customers who walk up to the till with their mobile
    phone clamped to their ear expecting me to serve them while they carry on with a banal conversation on the phone - But I am in the fortunate position of being able to ignore them by not serving them - or if there is a queue turning to serve the next customer untill they either put down the phone or reailise their discourtesy and usually then apologise.

This annoys me so much. There's this one person comes in several times a day and I would estimate that about 9 times out of 10 she is on her phone and won't hang up to be served.

I wish I could refuse to serve her.
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    far2cool wrote: »
    Any fellow self-checkout attendants on here?

The stupidity of some of the people using them is sometimes too much to handle...

Any one that uses these are stupid.

They are costing jobs.

Boycott them folks.
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    getzls wrote: »

They are costing jobs.

Boycott them folks.

You may not have a choice but to use self service tills, if asda has there way

Currently on trial in a english store, asda are trying out a new type of self service till, known as a hybridtill, so during the day 10am - 8pm, these tills would be manned by an operator, but during these hours 6am - 10am; 8pm - 10am these till will be self service,

so basicly during the day it will be manned by an operator, but at night time, it will become a self service till

And if asda introduce these types of hybridtills, then other supermarkets like tesco, morrisons, sainsbury will do the same
  • jonnyinscotlandjonnyinscotland Posts: 999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ashe17 wrote: »
    I've had customers ask me if i'm serving. No I thought I might just sit on this till for the fun of it. Had one customer ask me if a shower curtain was water proof. Would like to understand why people pay for a item that's 49p by card.

Why not? I used card for 16p worth of bananas last week.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I've had customers ask me if i'm serving. No I thought I might just sit on this till for the fun of it. Had one customer ask me if a shower curtain was water proof. Would like to understand why people pay for a item that's 49p by card.

I do that as due to been mugged a few times I rarely carry any cash at all if I do it's only for like the market then I get out just the amount I need.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shadowstar wrote: »
    Customers being on the phone while you serve them really irritates me, especially when they just wave their hands about expecting me to understand that they've now decided they don't want a certain item.

And customers who always come in right before I finish with a trolley full of shopping (not really their fault all the time I suppose) but my till clearly had a close sign on it, and they came up, bundled their shopping on which then took ten minutes to get through making me ten minutes late to leave work, I pointed out I'd put the closed sign on the till as I was finishing and their excuse was "I don't do the shopping often", I could care less how often you shop, I don't want to have to stick around and leave later than I should after working 9 hours.

Customers who leave things in the wrong place really annoy me too, like leaving a cabbage in the bread section, what sort of idiot does that? Or bleach in the soft drinks isle, I can understand if it's in the same area, but it's ridiculous sometimes, and customers who come up with items, ask for a price check, then just say they don't want the product.

Working in the wines and spirits isle yesterday, I came across a chicken ready meal, a pot of jelly and an air freshner. :rolleyes: The ready mean was particularly annoying because it's a chilled product being left in a warmer area.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    towers wrote: »
    Working in the wines and spirits isle yesterday, I came across a chicken ready meal, a pot of jelly and an air freshner. :rolleyes: The ready mean was particularly annoying because it's a chilled product being left in a warmer area.

Thats something that annoys me, stuff dumped all over getting damaged because someone cant be bothered it back.

Then people sit on their couches at home watching panorama, saying how disgusting the amount of waste food supermarkets throw out.

It is disgusting, but a good percentage is due to lazy customers throwing tins of steak or packets of chicken into the freezer as that is where they happen to be stood when they change their mind, they both then need binned, and will be binned at the end of the shift.

So what goes n the bin is a can of steak that has frozen then defrosted and a chilled chicken that has been out the chiller for a unknown time, then frozen, then defrosted, then kept at ambient temperature for maybe 12 hours, then dumped in a bin.

Occasionally they may even get some people rummaging the bins looking to get all their food for free, 99% of the time the food there wont do any harm, occasionally though someone will end up in hospital.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    I do that as due to been mugged a few times I rarely carry any cash at all if I do it's only for like the market then I get out just the amount I need.
    I would rather be mugged for a bit of cash than for my credit cards which would cause much more ongoing hassle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    towers wrote: »

They do it to amuse themselves by wasting their own and the staff's time. I bet if they wouldn't be allowed to leave the shop until they've had top put every single item back themselves, including ALL their shopping they'd change their minds.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    motsy wrote: »
    They do it to amuse themselves by wasting their own and the staff's time. I bet if they wouldn't be allowed to leave the shop until they've had top put every single item back themselves, including ALL their shopping they'd change their minds.

Well if I got mugged they would take both anyway so may as well not have any actual cash in hand that way I don't lose anything at all plus I'm more likely to be mugged if they see I have cash on me.
  • BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    Remember when ''planking'' was a big thing on the internet for about 2 weeks? Well there's a new ''hilarious'' thing... and it's not looking good for us retail workers... :( Gallon smashing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glgblV7Un_g

Over 2 million views for this pure idiotic tripe. BE WARNED!
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Failed the MCM again last week apparantly, I was off last week so missed the witch hunt as to whose fault it was, back tomorrow though.

Hope it wasnt me. ;):eek:
  • BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member

I rarely use cash these days. I've been known to put something like 10p on a card as I had no cash and had no intention of going to the bank to withdraw minimum £5 to then wait to get £4.90 in change. It makes no difference if the amount is £100 or 100p a card is the way most people are going and it won't be long before cash is seen as the old payment method.
    Me! oh god I know what you mean...
    People trying to put notes in the receipt slot
    People saying yes they have their own bag, when in fact they do not
    People putting stuff on the scales of another machine
    People seemingly unable to find the card machine and instead inserting into the receipt slot, coupon slot etc.

And its the well dressed, well educated people that I find to be the worst!

However bad people are at self service check outs in supermarkets cannot match their sudden lack of common sense and understanding of their native tongue when they come to using a self service check in at the airport.

One example I hear often:

"Please scan your passport with the photo page facing down" is shown on the screen. The area where the passport is to be scanned also has a diagram on it and lights up indicating what to do. An animation also appears on screen. It could not be more straightforward. It's also available in about 10 languages.

Yet still, 100 times a day I hear:

"EXCUSE ME, THIS BLOODY MACHINE IS BROKEN, IT WON'T READ MY PASSPORT"

I go to investigate...the passport is facing the wrong way, or they have folded it over so a blank page is on the scanner instead of the actual picture page, or they are holding the passport up to the screen or some other stupid thing that they cannot fathom themselves.

Funny thing is the airline I work for doesn't state you must check in at the kiosks, in fact I often divert passengers away from them as they take about 5 minutes to do the job that an agent can do in 30 seconds and that's even when the passenger has a clue what they are doing...most do not.

Peoples default action is to try and do something themselves which they have no clue about.
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    If I have a clear belt, why do people start putting stuff on at the very end? very annoying as I keep having to move the belt up so they have more room.

I've said it before but why can't people place items on the belt neatly. Everythings all over the place and then items will fall off the belt and smash.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Remember when ''planking'' was a big thing on the internet for about 2 weeks? Well there's a new ''hilarious'' thing... and it's not looking good for us retail workers... :( Gallon smashing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glgblV7Un_g

Over 2 million views for this pure idiotic tripe. BE WARNED!

I hope the ********s involved got permanently banned from EVERY supermarket in the country. I'd make them clean it up themselves then pay for it.
    They can't complain if they break their arms or legs can they?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shoplifting of chewing gum is rife at the moment, the whole chewing gum section on the aisle was cleared out.

I hope whoever it was there teeth fall out.
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shoplifting of chewing gum is rife at the moment, the whole chewing gum section on the aisle was cleared out.

I hope whoever it was there teeth fall out.

same here, but we have ended up putting security tags ont he chewing gum, the reason why there being stolen is to do with drugs, seemingly there cutting in part of the chewing gum, into the drugs...maybe a new high has been found
  • MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Some shower curtains ain't water proof believe it or not.
  • SoupbowlSoupbowl Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    getzls wrote: »

They are costing jobs.

Boycott them folks.

Are you Arthur scargil?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you hold your hand out to take the customers money and they slam it on the counter, its rude and socially awkward .
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Some Years ago a friend ran a motorcycle spares shop - with a notice on the door, and also by the counter that
    stated - Sorry we dont accept cards or cheque -
    Cash Only.

One day a customer asked for some expensive items
    and wished to pay by cheque - which was refused.

"I didnt really want to do this but suppose I will have to then"
    the customer said as he produced his police warrant card - assuming this would make a difference. It didnt !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you hold your hand out to take the customers money and they slam it on the counter, its rude and socially awkward .

It's the easiest thing to correct; Make a point of placing *their* change on the counter for them to pick up.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw people in a supermarket car park yesterday wearing t-shirts and shorts, in a blizzard. While complaining about the weather loudly.

Charles Darwin may have said something about that. Mainly: "Why aren't you extinct yet?" ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had some mad woman in our shop on Saturday poking her fingers into all the Jam Donughts on display.

Big hole marks in all of them

Needless to say they all went out the back to be disposed of.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had some mad woman in our shop on Saturday poking her fingers into all the Jam Donughts on display.

Big hole marks in all of them

Needless to say they all went out the back to be disposed of.

Cue: some customer coming in mouthing off that it's 'ridiculous' that they haven't got any doughnuts on display at this time of day.

The most frustrating part of retail - the actions of selfish customers causing you problems with other customers.
This discussion has been closed.