Working as a Telesales Executive

Will_LozWill_Loz Posts: 267
Forum Member
I did this when I left Uni. Now that I have started my new venture it's time to dust up my old skills and start cold calling.

Anyone love or hate cold calling?

Comments

• LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've got to love any entry level job which has the word "executive" in its title.
  • Will_LozWill_Loz Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    You've got to love any entry level job which has the word "executive" in its title.

Nothing wrong with the word 'executive' if they 'execute' or 'carry out' a Telephone based role ;-)

Watch should they be called?
  • GageGage Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phone monkey?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    My aunty is an executive latrine cleanser.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Love or hate cold calling, depends on which side of the fence you sit most people I know including myself hate being cold called. I got rid of my landline because it became a nightmare, from being cold called over everything you could think of.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hate cold calling & the prospects of working for a cold calling company has always gone against one of my principles. Years ago in my late teens I had the offer of working for a double glazing company BAC, picking people out of the phone book & calling them to get appointments, the wage was about £130 per week which at the time seemed like a lot of money to me as I was only working part time in the local chipppy for free food and a wage big enough for a night out. Having come from a poor family it was against my principles phoning up other people who may of been in the same boat & the last thing I wanted was to encourage the possibility of putting them into debt & so I decided to stick with my part time job doing something I liked, rather than work for a company that sold overpriced windows.

My principles over the years haven't changed, there is a new place opening up around the corner to where I live & they were advertising for staff, so I decided to read up on them to see what they were about as if there was a chance I was to get treated for my condition and back to decent health, then a decent job within walking distance would had been ideal. However after reading up on them, I found that they were a cold calling company for a range of charities. I hate chuggers with a passion, so the thought of becoming a cold calling chugger literally makes me heave. But much like anything, whatever floats your boat.
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »
    Love or hate cold calling, depends on which side of the fence you sit most people I know including myself hate being cold called. I got rid of my landline because it became a nightmare, from being cold called over everything you could think of.

You could have just changed your number. But then again I guess everyone goes mobile these days. I had no idea people hated cold callers so bad. Good thing I am calling businesses. Most at least understand it businesses need sales people.
    Forum Member
    Hate cold calling & the prospects of working for a cold calling company has always gone against one of my principles. Years ago in my late teens I had the offer of working for a double glazing company BAC, picking people out of the phone book & calling them to get appointments, the wage was about £130 per week which at the time seemed like a lot of money to me as I was only working part time in the local chipppy for free food and a wage big enough for a night out. Having come from a poor family it was against my principles phoning up other people who may of been in the same boat & the last thing I wanted was to encourage the possibility of putting them into debt & so I decided to stick with my part time job doing something I liked, rather than work for a company that sold overpriced windows.

My principles over the years haven't changed, there is a new place opening up around the corner to where I live & they were advertising for staff, so I decided to read up on them to see what they were about as if there was a chance I was to get treated for my condition and back to decent health, then a decent job within walking distance would had been ideal. However after reading up on them, I found that they were a cold calling company for a range of charities. I hate chuggers with a passion, so the thought of becoming a cold calling chugger literally makes me heave. But much like anything, whatever floats your boat.

In fairness the type of market you were targeting is pretty tough. I have a lot of respect for your typical double glazing home caller because it's tough!

I have a friend who is a very good web designer and he is so scared of calling businesses to offer his service. He has spent good money hiring people but most never delivered.

The problem is people are scared of rejection. I had to sit with him and teach him the secrets of prospecting. The key is not to sell but just fact find. Now he is doing very well and makes 2 sales a day.

I used to bang 200 calls a day back then but now it's not about quantity but quality. I must be some sick guy because I love cold calling and look forward to reasons why people would say NO to what I offer. It's almost like a game of trying to battle of minds. My job is to win them over and theirs is to resist. :)
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Will_Loz wrote: »
    You could have just changed your number. But then again I guess everyone goes mobile these days. I had no idea people hated cold callers so bad. Good thing I am calling businesses. Most at least understand it businesses need sales people.

This man had the right idea, how to make money out of cold calling companies.http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Ftechnology-23869462&ei=LdHPUtncINPo7AbI1YGgBw&usg=AFQjCNGSDKKR964A3CN1Wkb77KmoUy-5Bg&sig2=Hq2gf7eGMvemH7umgC4JeAA man targeted by marketing companies is making money from cold calls with his own higher-rate phone number.

In November 2011 Lee Beaumont paid £10 plus VAT to set up his personal 0871 line - so to call him now costs 10p, from which he receives 7p.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to bang 200 calls a day back then but now it's not about quantity but quality. I must be some sick guy because I love cold calling and look forward to reasons why people would say NO to what I offer. It's almost like a game of trying to battle of minds. My job is to win them over and theirs is to resist. :)

If you were to call me I'd report you to the TPS. >:(

I've never understood why anyone would buy from a cold caller, whether by phone on at the door. In the unlikely event I were after new double glazing, for example, I would research what the options and costs were and speak to friends and neighbours about who they used and what experiences they had, I certainly wouldn't purchase from a cold caller.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ........... I must be some sick guy because I love cold calling and look forward to reasons why people would say NO to what I offer. It's almost like a game of trying to battle of minds. My job is to win them over and theirs is to resist. :)

I hope you call me one day, since my hobby is seeing how long I can keep cold callers on the line. After all, if they call me despite my registration with TPS, then they're fair game.
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I hope you call me one day, since my hobby is seeing how long I can keep cold callers on the line. After all, if they call me despite my registration with TPS, then they're fair game.

I do this too :D I was housebound a few years ago and it filled my day in lovely to waste their time.
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Executive - its all part of inflating job titles to make jobs sound better and more important than they actually are.

I have noticed just about any job that was pretty much basic admin a few years back is now a "manager". Similarly those who used to actually be a "manager" a few years back obviously don't want people to think they are really an administrator, so have relabelled their job titles as "directors". Similarly those who were genuine "directors" don't want people thinking they are really just a jumped up "manager", so have invented all sorts of job titles to assert their importance.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hang up on cold callers
  • Alien_SaxonAlien_Saxon Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hang up on cold callers

..I used to do that but nowadays I find it funnier to agree to what they are selling and then lead them through a series of other pitches before out of the blue saying "Actually you know what, it's not really for me, thanks anyway" *click*

You just know they would be screaming after that.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate cold calling, or pro-active selling. I've had to do it to build my business, but so relieved now I'm employing a full time sales guy who relishes it!
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »
    This man had the right idea, how to make money out of cold calling companies.http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Ftechnology-23869462&ei=LdHPUtncINPo7AbI1YGgBw&usg=AFQjCNGSDKKR964A3CN1Wkb77KmoUy-5Bg&sig2=Hq2gf7eGMvemH7umgC4JeAA man targeted by marketing companies is making money from cold calls with his own higher-rate phone number.

In November 2011 Lee Beaumont paid £10 plus VAT to set up his personal 0871 line - so to call him now costs 10p, from which he receives 7p.

Isn't that the chubby soap dodger who had his water supply disconnected because he thought it was cheaper to buy mineral water?
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Nothing wrong with the word 'executive' if they 'execute' or 'carry out' a Telephone based role ;-)

Annoying
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

Yup.:D
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Surely then they'd be executors?
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to have an Indian accent to be a proper cold caller these days.