Query re. school cookery classes in the 1960's

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
Forum Member
✭✭
For something I'm writing. Could you do cooking up to A level? Was it called Domestic Science or Home Economics, or did that change over time? Much thanks if anyone can remember.

Comments

• Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was called Home Ec in the 70s, if that's any help. I think the title Domestic Science came later, but I may be wrong.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was also called Home Economis at my school in the 70s. You could do A level as far as I recall.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was called Domestic Science in my school and you could at least do O'Levels. Oops sorry - you said 60s. :blush: This was the 70s.
  • cressida100cressida100 Posts: 3,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Home economics in the 70s in my neck of the woods🎃
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    domestic science at my school, i`m 55, we could do o level. not sure about a level, might it have been a hnd or similar [?]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Domestic Science in my school London Borough of Brent and we could do O Level, same as Annette, I can't remember if we could do it at A Level, but it was usually only the more well off kids that could stay on at school anyway.
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was called House Craft at my school and my Mum always said that it was called Domestic Science at hers, so obviously DS must have been quite an early name.
  • damianswifedamianswife Posts: 1,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Domestic Science at my school. Did "o" level and was the only one doing "A" level.
    This was in the early 70s though.
  • Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    Home Ec in the late 80s from 1st to 5th year (now year 7 to 11).

I did catering at GCSE in 1991.
  • VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I left school in 1963 and seem to remember that girls classes were cookery and needlework and boys were technical drawing and metalwork. I would have preferred to do the technical drawing and metalwork but was afraid to ask!
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Home economics at CSE level and domestic science at O'level and A'level in the late 60's early 70's.

Home economics included far more than cookery had child care, cleaning and how to calculate carpet and wallpaper was a much more how to make a home course. Whereas Domestic science we learned how to cook and the chemical reasons things work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks very much everyone for those answers, and special thanks to molliepops for the extra info. xx
  • Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely "Domestic Science " in the 1950's Girls did that and we boys did Woodwork with a very small amount of Metalwork. However we had a choice in the early summer before the long holiday, Swimming or woodwork, not both. as I liked both I used to alternate between the two. Happy Days.
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Domestic Science waas in the 60s when I was in school and you suppose to have learnt how to cook
  • tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Domestic Science in my school in the 60s. This meant Cookery and Needlework. No-one did this after the third year, as it was practical not academic and this was a girls' grammar school. I would be very surprised if there was an A level in it, since the subjects studied for A level were much more limited than now, and theoretical, as it were, rather than practical.
  • CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted to do an A level in Domestic Science in 1972 and was informed rather snottily that "this school does not offer Domestic Science at A level" (it was a grammar school).

I guess that proves that it was an A level subject at that time since, otherwise, I assume that I would have been told that it didn't exist rather than it was too lowly for their lofty ambitions :D.

I don't know about the 1960's though.
  • damianswifedamianswife Posts: 1,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Domestic Science in my school in the 60s. This meant Cookery and Needlework. No-one did this after the third year, as it was practical not academic and this was a girls' grammar school. I would be very surprised if there was an A level in it, since the subjects studied for A level were much more limited than now, and theoretical, as it were, rather than practical.

Actually, the A level was quite challenging. It comprised of a written paper and a practical exam.
    I can remember questions on amino acids in foods and the breakdown of carbohydrates into peptides and polypeptides and such. The practical was a 3 hour session where you had to show that you could combine elements into a nutritious menu and you had to show off multiple cooking skills, oh and you had to provide an extensive plan AND make a plate of home made biscuits for the examiner to have with a fresh pot of coffee half way through. Blimmin nightmare.