Options

The Alexandra Burke Appreciation Thread (Part 14)

Comments

• Options
    ukaszenkoooukaszenkooo Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    I don't think it was like that. Elephant went to top3 without radio support. It was all... Fanmade if I can say so.
    Noone played Elephant or Let it Go on radio actually. Say what you want, but she was blacklisted. For some strange reason
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stargirl1 wrote: »
    No-one was 'blacklisted'. Radio plays who it thinks is relevant. Elephant was b listed on radio 1 after it went top 3.

I disagree with you there stargirl.

That may be true of Radio 1 who started playing Elephant towards the end when they saw it kept rising despite ignoring it, but there was definitely something dodgy going on with Capital/Global Radio Group.

The reason why they blacklisted Alex is unclear, but I suspect the RCA radio premiere story was probably part of the reason why.

Syco I'm sure, also had something to do with it. Clearly she wanted a BGT slot and it was denied so I don't think sabotage is that farfetched.
  • Options
    stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member
    Capital group have ignored Leona so clearly she must be blacklisted too. Maybe it has something to do with Syco. Alex appeared on the radio 1 chart show, Graham Norton, Steve Wright and Ken Bruce radio 2 shows so wasn't blacklisted by them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Capital group have ignored Leona so clearly she must be blacklisted too. Maybe it has something to do with Syco. Alex appeared on the radio 1 chart show, Graham Norton, Steve Wright and Ken Bruce radio 2 shows so wasn't blacklisted by them.

Capital got SWY to #1, but they totally blacklisted Elephant.

Syco is known to have links to Global Radio, there was that whole fiasco about Syco TV giving The Wanted and Jessie J (who were with Global's management company at the time) X Factor performance slots in exchange for un-blacklisting 1D after they thanked Radio 1 but not Capital during their Brit Award acceptance speech.

Global's biggest radio station is Capital and they don't even try to hide the fact that they blacklist artists for whatever reason. In Alex and Leona's cases, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Simon pulling the strings.
  • Options
    SoeplepelSoeplepel Posts: 24,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »

Syco is known to have links to Global Radio, there was that whole fiasco about Syco TV giving The Wanted and Jessie J (who were with Global's management company at the time) X Factor performance slots in exchange for un-blacklisting 1D after they thanked Radio 1 but not Capital during their Brit Award acceptance speech.

Global's biggest radio station is Capital and they don't even try to hide the fact that they blacklist artists for whatever reason. In Alex and Leona's cases, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Simon pulling the strings.

Wow.. that's ridiculous and totally unfair pff..
  • Options
    NiiiiiiikNiiiiiiik Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Same tbh. Who's leonas biggest competitors rn Ella Henderson and Adele, obviously Simon is gonna try and undermine that
  • Options
    Forum Member

I think you're probably right re Simon and Capital. He is very influential in the music world.
  • Options
    drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't buy the Syco blacklisting Alex theory. Their behaviour such as having her back on the show as a guest judge and then a mentor doesn't strike me as the treatment of somebody in their cross hairs. I'd be more inclined to believe it if Alex had done a Steve Brookstein and criticised the show and Syco after moving to RCA.

I'm sure that the Capital snub was down at least partly to the premiere of Elephant. They proved with the whole One Direction snub how petty they can be. Also, Radio 1 started snubbing Alex from All Night Long onwards. Somebody from the station even said it was because they received a negative response from listeners after A-listing Broken Heels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The negative response to Broken Heels was radio 1, and they used it as the reason why they didn't Playlist All Night Long.
  • Options
    iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    drakhen wrote: »
    I just don't buy the Syco blacklisting Alex theory. Their behaviour such as having her back on the show as a guest judge and then a mentor doesn't strike me as the treatment of somebody in their cross hairs. I'd be more inclined to believe it if Alex had done a Steve Brookstein and criticised the show and Syco after moving to RCA.

I'm sure that the Capital snub was down at least partly to the premiere of Elephant. They proved with the whole One Direction snub how petty they can be. Also, Radio 1 started snubbing Alex from All Night Long onwards. Somebody from the station even said it was because they received a negative response from listeners after A-listing Broken Heels.

Simon is best friends with the son of the owner of the whole Capital network. There's a means to get things done in relationships of that nature.

They didn't ask Alex back to be a judge, her management said she was doing it as they needed someone last minute and she was chosen. She was probably the only person in London at the time to fill in for Kelly. Alex was the third/fourth most successful act the show had produced at the time and they were trying to model Hannah on her. It makes sense to include her. Just because the producers invite her on the show does not mean the label want her to be successful. XF=/=Syco Records.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think you're probably right re Simon and Capital. He is very influential in the music world.

There's a big reason a lot of UK acts dislike him with a passion. He has a very vice like grip where he needs to have one.
  • Options
    pjh8pjh8 Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soeplepel wrote: »
    First week are not defining anything, in Leona's managers words:

Most of Island's artist don't take off from the start.

And Leona isn't blacklisted at all. Poor Alex was and it was unfair.
    First weeks are defining.Where is she gonna get more sales? The first week is nearly always the peak. FUMF has completely flopped. The album may still do well though..
  • Options
    IsThisHappinessIsThisHappiness Posts: 7,580
    Forum Member
    pjh8 wrote: »
    First weeks are defining.Where is she gonna get more sales? The first week is nearly always the peak. FUMF has completely flopped. The album may still do well though..

Look at Florence and The Machine her latest singles. They almost always climb the charts. Give it time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Florence is getting support from all the major stations and is seen as credible in a way that none of the x factor acts are. I don't think leona will follow the same path.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Florence is getting support from all the major stations and is seen as credible in a way that none of the x factor acts are. I don't think leona will follow the same path.

This ain't the Leona thread, but she is the only act from this show to be Grammy nominated.

She has an extra layer of credibility over every other X Factor related act for that reason alone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look at Florence and The Machine her latest singles. They almost always climb the charts. Give it time.

Florence has been playlisted by major radios. It's not like in the U.S. where the song usually can gradually climb, in the UK the first week is nearly always the peak as there are weeks of preorders included..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Where is she gonna get more sales? You think UK has only 5,000 people? With the right exposure she can peak whenever she wants. This ain't Syco, Island is doing things compeletely different. Like her manager said: " give it time. We aren't like everyone else".

But this ain't Leona thread so come to LLAT and I'll clock you there.

OT: I still need to see AB live
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soeplepel wrote: »
    Where is she gonna get more sales? You think UK has only 5,000 people? With the right exposure she can peak whenever she wants. This ain't Syco, Island is doing things compeletely different. Like her manager said: " give it time. We aren't like everyone else".

But this ain't Leona thread so come to LLAT and I'll clock you there.

OT: I still need to see AB live
    No but it's clear only 5,000 people wanna buy her single..
    You'll "clock" me?? Why don't you leave this thread since you clearly aren't a fan of Alex with your constant shade and insults in the past and take your delusion back to Leona's appreciation thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll "clock" me?? Why don't you leave this thread since you clearly aren't a fan of Alex with your constant shade and insults in the past and take your delusion back to Leona's appreciation thread.

I don't need you to tell me who I can like and not. If I want to waste my time coming here whether I like her or not, then that's my call. Not yours.

Can't wait for her album though woop.
  • Options
    Forum Member

TBH, no one knows it's out. Capital and R1 have MILLIONS listening. Alex had the same issue with Let It Go. It didn't get the reach at all, and people thought Elephant was the only single released.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    iseloid wrote: »
    TBH, no one knows it's out. Capital and R1 have MILLIONS listening. Alex had the same issue with Let It Go. It didn't get the reach at all, and people thought Elephant was the only single released.

Radio 2 are playing it. They have the biggest audience of all, admittedly not single buyers but should help with album sales.

Alex had no support and didn't stand a chance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Radio 2 are playing it. They have the biggest audience of all, admittedly not single buyers but should help with album sales.

Alex had no support and didn't stand a chance.

I feel for Alex, it really did kill her second album. I wish they'd put the album out after Elephant.

I knew the two single thing would not work. I did not understand that strategy at all, as RCA could see that Elephant may struggle alone, and should've pushed the album and single at the same time as it would've worked for hype. Ah well.
  • Options
    drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just watched the interview she posted on YouTube. I'm assuming she left Syco and RCA by mutual agreement. Unless somebody can correct me, she couldn't have left Syco without their approval. Wasn't Leona tied to them because of the contract X-Factor contestants have to sign?

I thought the interview was okay. It's great to see Alex looking great and happy. However, she did say the same stuff repeatedly about her new material and how she's now in control and not restricted. Also, was the comment about how she won X-Factor without prancing around half naked directed at anybody in particular?
  • Options
    ukaszenkoooukaszenkooo Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    It was not interview for one radio, it was press conference. She said some times couple of times because there are different radios talking to her, so it's okay.
    Dancing half naked was directed to herself actually from HOH era. I think so... I might be wrong
  • Options
    beastieletsgobeastieletsgo Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it was a radio interview i watched the full interview ill try and find it. The editor in
    For that youtube clip needs an oscar. There are very little moments in the interview with the guy in the leather jacket where she was not cringy. She got very distracted cause the guy is jamaican.

I actually really like FUMF and its quite sad that they have blacklisted Leona as well as Alex.
    What really ticked of Mark Findlay the head of Global was that we all blasted his mentions and then alex spoke out on it.

Im waiting to see what happens at the end of the year cause it seems like musically for Alex she might be over. No record label will touch her, presumably cause of HOH.