Has anyone passed their driving test and never driven.

2»

Comments

• mel1213mel1213 Posts: 8,642
    Forum Member
    I agree Sprogg, I started with small trips - I drove round to my uncles (about a 2 minute journey and can be done on quiet roads) and back first, to get used to driving alone and then I just took to the open road, and have never looked back!
  • suffolktoonsuffolktoon Posts: 1,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to work with a bloke who is best described as very odd. Told us about his brother, who we just assumed was equally odd although we never met him, who passed his test a number of years earlier. Never drove after passing but then decided he needed a car one weekend so went to a hire company. Needless to say he managed to crash the hire car shortly after picking it up. I bet they wished they'd asked him how many times he's driven a car since he passed his test rather than how long he had a full licence.
  • BigfeetBigfeet Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mel1213 wrote: »
    I agree Sprogg, I started with small trips - I drove round to my uncles (about a 2 minute journey and can be done on quiet roads) and back first, to get used to driving alone and then I just took to the open road, and have never looked back!

I agree - it has been many years since I first started driving alone after passing my driving test, but some of my older friends/family/work colleagues are still afraid of driving in certain situations :eek: .

As I say to all of them - as long as you keep aware of what's going on around you and follow the rules of the road (ie Highway Code) then you can't go far wrong - and if needs be then pull over in a safe place and gather your thoughts before continuing your journey :) .
  • DJPTDJPT Posts: 4,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to work with a bloke who is best described as very odd. Told us about his brother, who we just assumed was equally odd although we never met him, who passed his test a number of years earlier. Never drove after passing but then decided he needed a car one weekend so went to a hire company. Needless to say he managed to crash the hire car shortly after picking it up. I bet they wished they'd asked him how many times he's driven a car since he passed his test rather than how long he had a full licence.

Quality :)
  • mel1213mel1213 Posts: 8,642
    Forum Member
    Bigfeet wrote: »
    I agree - it has been many years since I first started driving alone after passing my driving test, but some of my older friends/family/work colleagues are still afraid of driving in certain situations :eek: .

As I say to all of them - as long as you keep aware of what's going on around you and follow the rules of the road (ie Highway Code) then you can't go far wrong - and if needs be then pull over in a safe place and gather your thoughts before continuing your journey :) .

I think the main thing is perseverance and forward thinking.

I used to have a real complex about roundabouts because on my first lesson navigating a roundabout (which was about my 2rd lesson on the open road as opposed to in the car park) I was cut up halfway by a huge white transit van while in the middle of the roundabout, panicked, stalled and then found it generally stressful getting off the roundabout ... this meant I had a mental block about roundabouts for a long time ... so when I passed my test suddenly the mental block came back and at first I was reluctant to drive anywhere I knew I would have to navigate roundabouts ... then I started taking routes that were generally quieter and had bigger roundabouts during quiet times of the day to build up my confidence and experience so that I was whizzing round the town's mini roundabouts with ease and didn't panic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Positive wrote: »

My sister in law passed after the 6th go and has been driving for years now. But she has never ever driven on a motorway and will always be a passenger rather than a driver.

crazy

Yep, that's me :o I passed fourth time, five years ago, and probably drive once a month, if that.

Never been on the motorway, or out of my city, or done a reverse park. I am a wimp :o I will happily walk six miles into town and back rather than face parking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Passed first time a year ago. Still not driven on my own yet, but been on motorway and drive quite a lot when home from uni. Gradually building myself up. Getting better at parking, too. I am a bit scared...my problem is confidence.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I passed my test years ago when the roads were far less busy. I drove a lot and loved it. As the years have gone on, the roads have got busier and driving is less pleasureable.

I hate parking and I hate turning right onto a busy junction:(

I don't drive a lot these days but it is nice to be able to when I want to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Passed first time in 2007 when I was 18, and my dad drove me back from the test centre in case I was so jittery from passing that I did something stupid :p But after I'd had some lunch and a cuppa I jumped straight back into the car and took myself down to a local sceanic spot a few miles away and just had some time to myself in the sunshine.

I was ridiculously cocky though, failing my test never entered my head because I'd had so much private practice there was nothing I hadn't faced :o I sacked my instructor about 6 months in for being a knob (e.g. he accused me of going fron fourth to first when a) I didn't and b) it's impossible, yet insisted he was right) and my dad taught me the rest. I also took my test in my own car, which helped - it's much easier to drive a car you know well.

I really can't understand being scared of driving, but that's because I always wanted to learn. (For some reason, though, I didn't start until I was 18 :confused: ) I had one friend who would let go of the wheel and cover her eyes if she got scared, yet managed to pass. I am never, EVER getting in a car with her.
  • izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I passed a few years back, drove for a couple of years ... had a fall out with an ex, he took the car and I never got another. That was almost 7 years ago now and I haven't driven since the day he took the car.

I would get another but I am not really in any rush.
  • nightsun1500nightsun1500 Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to hear more opinions on this :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Too scared.

I compleatly understand!

I passed my test about 8 years ago but it's only the past 3-4 years I've been driving. The day after passing my test I stalled and someone went into the back of me when I was driving my mums car, that gave my mum reservations about letting me use her car (cant blame her), I could'nt aford my own car and my boyfriends car was way too big for me to drive (I could of drove it but it scared the shyte out of me). I just decided that driving was'nt for me.
    It was'nt untill a friend offered me his old car for £200 that I decided to take it up again. It was the best thing I ever did.

It was terrifying at first but I was'nt half as bad a driver as I'd convinced myself I was. I love driving now.
  • THRTHR Posts: 9,808
    Forum Member
    Depending on my job, there could be very long intervals between me driving. The longest one was six years. Yes, six years. And straight into the London traffic at rush hour. That was when my work-mate said that he had drunk too much the night before and he is not sure if he is in the state to drive and asked if I could do it instead.

The amazing thing is how soon the confidence comes back. At first you are very insecure about driving after a long break but on the second day you drive like if there has never been any break at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recently passed my driving test but haven't put it to use yet..

(Thats my driving test to be able to tow trailers :p )
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good job I do drive - to do Overtime on a Saturday morning, by bus/then on foot would mean 1 and 3/4 hours to get there (and back again after finishing). That early on a Saturday in 2007, I drove it in 13mins.

No driving = no job + very limited shopping options where I live.