'Nexus 7 3G in 6 weeks'

2»

Comments

• Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    Not sure i understand the desire for 3G tablets. Im assuming you then have to pay a separate monthly subscription.

i just tether to my phone ???

can anyone explain why its necessary to go 3G on a tablet (excluding the obvious - "if you have forgottent your phone")

genuine query ....

the only place i thought this might be useful was the 3G kindle where 3G was actually free - even abroad. that seemed quite a bargain.

Personally I prefer to tether to my smartphone. One less data package to worry about. Even when I got my original iPad 1 I opted for more memory instead of 3G as I didn't see the point of having another SIM.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    It'll be like 3 months.

If they're only allowed to innovate once a year they may as well go home
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    It'll be like 3 months.

If they're only allowed to innovate once a year they may as well go home

Most electronic products run on yearly cycles, it's very common be it TVs, Laptops, Smartphones, Ebook readers...
  • Options
    pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Most electronic products run on yearly cycles, it's very common be it TVs, Laptops, Smartphones, Ebook readers...
    But it's not uncommon for small, iterative improvements (not that I necessarily consider 3G an "improvement") or changes to occur in mobile technology over a period of a few weeks - for example, a 16GB version of a phone available at launch with a 32GB version to follow. The White iPhone being released weeks after the regular one. And so on. I guess the difference is that these are often (but not always) announced in tandem so people can at least decide whether to buy now or wait, but apart from our rabid friend on here who was somehow shafted by Google, is anyone really that disappointed they didn't wait for a more expensive, second-contract needing, so-far-only-a-rumour 3G model?
  • Options
    Forum Member

On replacement products. They are not retiring the nexus 7 and releasing the nexus 8. Laptop, smartphone manufacturers, release new products all the time. Could you imagine a laptop manufacturer not updating a laptop for a year?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But it's not uncommon for small, iterative improvements (not that I necessarily consider 3G an "improvement") or changes to occur in mobile technology over a period of a few weeks - for example, a 16GB version of a phone available at launch with a 32GB version to follow. The White iPhone being released weeks after the regular one. And so on. I guess the difference is that these are often (but not always) announced in tandem so people can at least decide whether to buy now or wait, but apart from our rabid friend on here who was somehow shafted by Google, is anyone really that disappointed they didn't wait for a more expensive, second-contract needing, so-far-only-a-rumour 3G model?

I am not. I think it would be crazy for apple to release the iPad mini and Google to not respond for a year. It is actually better for me that it does well.

On another note, I am reading this thread on my nexus 7, the thread is about the nexus 7 yet still I see there is an advert for the nexus 7 at the top of the page. Google I am aware of the product.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On replacement products. They are not retiring the nexus 7 and releasing the nexus 8. Laptop, smartphone manufacturers, release new products all the time. Could you imagine a laptop manufacturer not updating a laptop for a year?

You make a valid point, I suppose this could be seen as a incremental upgrade. It would however annoy some users though as they may have waited 3 months if they had known.
  • Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hehehe technology waits for no man or woman.

If I really spent much time contemplating all the tech I've bought that was obsolete within months I'd pobably cry but you can't have your cake and eat it..... we all want everything now unless we've just bought it and we then want it to not change for ages to make our buying decision appear an excellent show of judgement.

What manufacturer is going to prevent sales of it's brand new product if they mention there's something else coming along soon that might be better featured for not much more (or any more) money? None.

As for getting pissed off based purely on a rumour is nuts :D
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just don't see it. Google throw lots of money at their first ever Nexus tablet, do a big launch, (for them) a pretty major advertising campaign, sell them quicker than they can manufacture them and then turn round and say "hmm, maybe we should have included this bit". Its not like its new tech which has come along recently.

I'm not even sure there's the customer demand for it - what people say they're missing is expandable storage.

And then there's the all important pricing; one of the big things about the Nexus 7 was/is how cheap it is. Now unless they replace the wifi versions entirely with the 3g+wifi version they have to add extra £ to differentiate it.

Simply doesn't add up to me.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On another note, I am reading this thread on my nexus 7, the thread is about the nexus 7 yet still I see there is an advert for the nexus 7 at the top of the page. Google I am aware of the product.
    Not as silly as the in-app adverts I keep seeing imploring me to install the chrome browser from google, which is pre-installed...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    And then there's the all important pricing; one of the big things about the Nexus 7 was/is how cheap it is. Now unless they replace the wifi versions entirely with the 3g+wifi version they have to add extra £ to differentiate it.

Simply doesn't add up to me.
    Why doesn't it add up? Manufacturers charge a lot more for extra functionality than the extra hardware to facilitate it costs. Google have already done it with the 16GB version (presumably so that they can actually make a profit), and they'll do it again with the 3G version. And people will make their choice.

I was dragged kicking and screaming into an Apple store recently in an advisory capacity to accompany somebody who insisted they needed an ipad. By the time all the upselling had finished, the notionally £400 ipad ended up costing nearly £600. And without 3G, the ipad can only be tethered to an iphone, whereas I don't think there are any restrictions on the Nexus (I assume you could use it with an iphone, but I'm sure somebody will tell me if that's wrong).

I very much doubt that 3G on the Nexus will add an extra £100 to the cost, like it does with the ipad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    njp wrote: »
    Why doesn't it add up? Manufacturers charge a lot more for extra functionality than the extra hardware to facilitate it costs. Google have already done it with the 16GB version (presumably so that they can actually make a profit), and they'll do it again with the 3G version. And people will make their choice.

Because that would defeat the objective of a more affordable tablet. An extra £30 for 16gb, another £30-£50 for 3g..... Google isn't doing this to make profit per item (apparently it makes little to nothing per unit), it needs to claw market share away from Apple. And going from £169 for an 8gb version to £230-250 for a 16gb 3g version seems at odds with that.

Alternately they keep the price for 3g the same (or thereabouts) as the 16gb,effectively replacing it, in which case why bother with the wifi versions at all, for the sake of a couple of months of early adopter sales?

The only caveat I can think is they're concerned about ipad mini and/or Kindle Fire 2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because that would defeat the objective of a more affordable tablet. An extra £30 for 16gb, another £30-£50 for 3g..... Google isn't doing this to make profit per item (apparently it makes little to nothing per unit), it needs to claw market share away from Apple. And going from £169 for an 8gb version to £230-250 for a 16gb 3g version seems at odds with that.

Alternately they keep the price for 3g the same (or thereabouts) as the 16gb, in which case why bother with the wifi versions at all, for the sake of a couple of months of early adopter sales?

The thing is it wouldn't have added that much cost, chips that do WiFi/Bluetooth/3G are rather cheap.

I do believe that good make dry little on the 8GB model but not the 16GB, 8GB of flash doesn't cost £40, the 16GB coud have had 3G and a profit could still have been made.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the 16GB coud have had 3G and a profit could still have been made.

right, so why not build it in the 1st models? struggling to see why Google would either plan to release an unannounced 3g model so soon after the wifi ones, or what reason they would have to rush out a 3g model after presumably discounting it at another point in the product lifecycle. Hence I'm of the opinion it should carry no more weight than the latest twitter death rumour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    right, so why not build it in the 1st models? struggling to see why Google would either plan to release an unannounced 3g model so soon after the wifi ones, or what reason they would have to rush out a 3g model after presumably discounting it at another point in the product lifecycle. Hence I'm of the opinion it should carry no more weight than the latest twitter death rumour.

Agree, I think if Google wanted it to have 3G it would have. My guess is they left it out so they could add it next year which is standard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because that would defeat the objective of a more affordable tablet.
    It's already a more affordable tablet. And a slightly more expensive version with 3G - available as an option - will increase sales, not reduce them.
    An extra £30 for 16gb, another £30-£50 for 3g..... Google isn't doing this to make profit per item (apparently it makes little to nothing per unit), it needs to claw market share away from Apple.
    3G for much less than Apple charge will help that. And there is no way that Google isn't making money on the 16GB version, unless they are losing a substantial amount on the 8GB version. I very much doubt that is the case. I suspect they are making a very small profit on the 8GB version, and a reasonable profit on the 16GB version.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    <bump>

Despite the comments on this thread, the Nexus 7 3G is out on Nov 13.

For those complaining that it's too quick after the previous release then that's just the way the tablet market is moving so quickly. There will be new models coming out all of the time as demand increases and the prices of components fall. It wouldn't
    surprise me to see another model in the next few months with improved specs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    <bump>

Despite the comments on this thread, the Nexus 7 3G is out on Nov 13.

For those complaining that it's too quick after the previous release then that's just the way the tablet market is moving so quickly. There will be new models coming out all of the time as demand increases and the prices of components fall. It wouldn't
    surprise me to see another model in the next few months with improved specs.

Could be worse, I could have bought an iPad 3 :D