Dominic Byrne joins Capital London Breakfast show

Comments

• zingzing Posts: 797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will he be reading the news? That article doesn't say.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Good on him, i'll give it a listen. Now all I need to hear is that Moyles is returning to national radio and I'll be a very happy lad!
  • NewbieBen12NewbieBen12 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    zing wrote: »

"Dominic starts reading the news on Monday"
  • PhilHPhilH Posts: 2,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zing wrote: »

It does say, but it doesn't indicate how involved he'll be outside of reading the news.

That said, I doubt they got him on board just to do two 60 second updates per hour.
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Pleased to hear he's got a gig, depressed to realise it splits the Moyles team up even further.

I dunno, when they finished I had a childlike idea they'd all go off and do spectacular things, not the Three Counties Weekend Breakfast Show and The Moan-In (Dave) or Capital Breakfast (Dominic). But that's reality I suppose. I'm sure they're doing very well behind the scenes.

Potentially it's a very good signing for Capital. Dominic contributed much more to The Chris Moyles Show than news - he was the dry wit behind the success of many of the links, especially towards the end. And reuniting him with Moyles could remain an option some way down the line*.

* Besides the obvious difficulties that Capital can't network its breakfast show, that Capital FM in London usually outrates Radio 1 in the city and drivetime may not be a good enough gig to win him over.
  • lincolnmedialincolnmedia Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Does that mean he'll stop doing that irritating 'news' segment on the web site?
  • HitmusicHitmusic Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm gonna listen to capital london breakfast now just cos he's on it. Excited.
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    Dave Berry is garbage, bu I'm going to give it a listen to see what role Dom gets. Glad he's got a new gig. :)
  • the teddy bearthe teddy bear Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does that mean he'll stop doing that irritating 'news' segment on the web site?

I take it by irritating 'news' segment on the web site, you are referring to 'Oddbox,' which was a weekly 10 minute online production looking at weird news items from around the world, that Dom used to do for the BBC?

He stopped doing this last year, shortly before Moyles' show ended, as when he left Radio 1, he also left the BBC as a whole (as I believe he went freelance in the latter part of his time with the Beeb,) which meant him giving Oddbox up as well, so rather than getting in a different presenter to do it, they killed it off. :)
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im surprised 60 second news per segment for someone who had a big part at the Beeb for years. How long will Dave Berry last on Breakfast? Always thought if Capital had a national brekkie show Moyles night join? Maybe a liitle for that now. How old is Dominic?
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,377
    Forum Member
    Very strange decision, isn't Capital aiming for under 25s, so why hire a presenter who was part of a team kicked out of their last show for appealing to over 35s?

Thought Johnny was kicked out for being too close to 40 yet now the hire someone in the same boat, strange, Heart I could understand but Capital???
    Forum Member
    pjex wrote: »
    Very strange decision, isn't Capital aiming for under 25s, so why hire a presenter who was part of a team kicked out of their last show for appealing to over 35s?

Thought Johnny was kicked out for being too close to 40 yet now the hire someone in the same boat, strange, Heart I could understand but Capital???

Ah, but there's a gap there, surely.

Radio 1 is very much pushing for much younger listeners at the moment to bring that average age down. The target is officially 15-29, but I'd imagine in their heads it's down to 15-25.

There's a rather large gap between 29 and 45, a very commercially lucrative gap (when people start having kids and spend a lot of money) for commercial radio to therefore target.

There are too many variables in terms of getting Moyles on board (age, his appeal in London versus nationwide as Capital always outrated Radio 1, whether he'll be more suited to Radio 2 in just a few years time, his current commitments, Capital having to do local breakfast shows etc). But getting Dom on to inject a bit of humour and to possibly attract some of the disenchanted relatively young Moyles listeners, without fundamentally changing the show to put off the existing ones, seems a decent move.
  • WizardWizard Posts: 280
    Forum Member

I think a news presenter can afford to be older - gives the news some gravitas that perhaps a 20-something might not.

Regardless, he's a really strong news presenter / sidekick and will be great on Capital.
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,377
    Forum Member
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    Ah, but there's a gap there, surely.

Radio 1 is very much pushing for much younger listeners at the moment to bring that average age down. The target is officially 15-29, but I'd imagine in their heads it's down to 15-25.

There's a rather large gap between 29 and 45, a very commercially lucrative gap (when people start having kids and spend a lot of money) for commercial radio to therefore target.

There are too many variables in terms of getting Moyles on board (age, his appeal in London versus nationwide as Capital always outrated Radio 1, whether he'll be more suited to Radio 2 in just a few years time, his current commitments, Capital having to do local breakfast shows etc). But getting Dom on to inject a bit of humour and to possibly attract some of the disenchanted relatively young Moyles listeners, without fundamentally changing the show to put off the existing ones, seems a decent move.

But isn't 29-45 Heart's target with Capital aimed at the under 30s. Dom on Heart breakfast with an ex Radio 1 DJ and a spice girl would have made more sense.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does Radio News presenting not matter which age group bracket your in? Unless your a listeners and really not worried, people won't know how old Dom is.
  • -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    News is relavent regardless who reads it.
    Forum Member
    But isn't 29-45 Heart's target with Capital aimed at the under 30s. Dom on Heart breakfast with an ex Radio 1 DJ and a spice girl would have made more sense.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear in the last post. I meant that the gap between Radio 1's official target audience (15-29) allowed a good five or six years for Global (Capital 15-35) to nick listeners, win them over and then transfer them to Heart. Given that Radio 1 is making a big push at the younger end of that age bracket, I'd suggest a lot of people aged 25+ are alienated by the current output, so they may be winnable as well. So Dom there to pick up ex-Moyles listeners aged 25-35 is not a bad move.

Capital at least sounds like it has a little bit of edge, so a transfer for listeners isn't out of the question (indeed, I listened to it during the day for a while when Moyles left Radio 1. Had I felt the Scottish breakfast show was stronger I may well have stayed). I'd suggest going straight from Radio 1 with Moyles to Heart for many listeners would be a tough sell.

Also, Heart seems to be a Radio 1 generation behind at the moment. Theakston did the weekend show before Moyles, so people listening to that right now are likely to be quite a bit older, may have grown up with Zoe and Sara on breakfast and Moyles may not register. If he does they may not like him. Give it a few years.

It's very odd. A bit like when James King and Zoe Ball stood in for Mayo and Kermode on 5 Live the other week. Different generations of Radio 1 again. But it sort of makes sense, playing on people's nostalgia and bringing a DJ with the same life experiences who the listeners have grown up with on board.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Dom writes and reads the news in a style perfectly suited to the target age group, as should all Capital journalists. Age doesn't come in to it.
  • qwerty21qwerty21 Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    Why can't Capital have networked breakfast?
  • djgeezadjgeeza Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They would only be allowed to network the regionals, and many of the Capital stations aren't regional. So London, Yorkshire and the North East could potentially network more for example.
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH wrote: »
    That said, I doubt they got him on board just to do two 60 second updates per hour.
    I'm not really familiar with the Capital London breakfast show these days.

But I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't do too much more than that. There aren't many gigs out there like the Moyles Show for newsreaders and he's got to pay the bills somehow.
    Dom writes and reads the news in a style perfectly suited to the target age group, as should all Capital journalists. Age doesn't come in to it.
    Exactly, you couldn't have an old sounding man reading the news on Capital. How it sounds is the key issue for a station like Capital. Probably less so for Radio 1 because politics starts to come into it then.

I imagine if it was stated Johnny Vaughan was replaced due to his age, the issue was probably more to do with the appeal of his show being older rather the fact he's a bit older.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    Also, Heart seems to be a Radio 1 generation behind at the moment. Theakston did the weekend show before Moyles, so people listening to that right now are likely to be quite a bit older, may have grown up with Zoe and Sara on breakfast and Moyles may not register. If he does they may not like him. Give it a few years.

Theakston replaced Moyles on Saturday mid morning on Radio 1 - Moyles was at Radio 1 long before Theakston and long after.
  • PhilHPhilH Posts: 2,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not really familiar with the Capital London breakfast show these days.

But I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't do too much more than that.

I listened a bit last week and was surprised because it was more chatty than I thought it would be.

Also, even though Moyles' show was speech heavy, Dom was more of an 'interjector', only speaking up when he had something witty to say.

I think that would work with Dave and Lisa and, again, I really doubt they'd've hired him if they didn't want to give him an expanded role.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was under the impression he had his Radio 1 scripts written for him. He can't have had much time to write them whilst being in the studio involved with all of the other banter.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    ink171 wrote: »
    I was under the impression he had his Radio 1 scripts written for him. He can't have had much time to write them whilst being in the studio involved with all of the other banter.

Yes he did. But he's a trained journalist who knows how to write for the target audience too. I also suspect that Global might have him doing other jobs in the Leicester Square newsroom.